Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 06:52 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
You have to invite individual matches to see it. Then when they look at your profile they will have a link to your tree. They will only be able to see deceased people in the tree and DNA matches you have in common.
Well, I'm still not spending the time to re-build my whole tree there, or message every one of my matches (most of which won't reply) and ask for an invite. Until they accept gedcom uploads again (and allow them to be public), it's all a waste of time. Their resistance to just have a gedcom upload is very telling of their priorities, and it's not genealogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 07:06 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
You have to invite individual matches to see it. Then when they look at your profile they will have a link to your tree. They will only be able to see deceased people in the tree and DNA matches you have in common.

Thanks, I hadn't looked into it or read anything in the Facebook group

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, I'm still not spending the time to re-build my whole tree there, or message every one of my matches (most of which won't reply) and ask for an invite. Until they accept gedcom uploads again (and allow them to be public), it's all a waste of time. Their resistance to just have a gedcom upload is very telling of their priorities, and it's not genealogy.

That's how I originally built mine, messaged a bunch of matches. They're all on my mothers fathers side or her mothers. At some point one of their siblings here met and had kids. I have not found where my grandparents lines cross over in the US. My grandfathers was in Missouri, grandmothers in NJ and Michigan.

One 2nd cousin on my grandmothers side also matches people that match my grandfathers side. I know it was not any of his siblings that married her siblings, so it's weird. It's whoever the 2nd cousin's mother was is related to my grandfather. I know that much. He was adopted, he does not share the same maternal haplogroup as me.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:07 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I don't blame you, it's just something I enjoyed fooling around with because it was new and different. It's specific to 23andMe and the matches you have there. I like having a tree I can refer to which shows the paths of relatedness to DNA Relatives in 23andMe, and how they are related to one another. It was a lot of work to enter 42 known DNA Relatives and their ancestors. You can't rebuild your whole tree there because the space is limited.

I've only invited one Relative to view my tree, but she never said whether she looked at it. I've never been invited to see anyone else's tree. So, yeah, it's kind of a bummer.

Old 03-05-2022, 01:23 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Actually, it seems you don't get notified if someone "invites" you to see their tree. I tried it between a couple of kits I manage. The only thing that happens is that when you look at the profile of a DNA Relative who has invited you, under the Family Tree section it will show a link to their tree. So the cousin I invited probably never noticed.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:07 AM

I'll be surprised if 23 and me didn't do these DNA trees to get people to do them like I did, then they're using the health tests to track various relatives together. It would make a lot of sense in their bigger pharmacy and medical quest. Now they bought out that lemonaide/Walgreens business.

Trimming the Family Tree, A New Method for Creating Large Human Pedigrees

Quote:
Researchers at 23andMe recently created a new method for inferring large human pedigrees much faster and more accurately than previous methods. Speeding a process that might take hours to a few seconds. Published in the American Journal of Human Genetics, this new method, dubbed Bonsai, uses a new algorithm to build very large pedigrees. These new methods can quickly and efficiently assemble small pedigrees into a larger family tree that shows degrees of separation between individuals.

With New Walgreens-Lemonaid Collaboration, Personalized Telehealth is Just a Click Away

Quote:

For many patients, the process of finding quality, personalized telehealth can be arduous and unnecessarily complicated.

A new collaboration between Walgreens and telehealth and pharmacy company Lemonaid Health seeks to change that.

Lemonaid has joined Walgreens Find Care, a digital health platform that connects customers to a network of local and national health providers and services.

Under the agreement, Lemonaid will offer a breadth of telehealth offerings in categories like women’s health, men’s health, general health, skin, testing, and more.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'll be surprised if 23 and me didn't do these DNA trees to get people to do them like I did, then they're using the health tests to track various relatives together. It would make a lot of sense in their bigger pharmacy and medical quest. Now they bought out that lemonaide/Walgreens business.

With New Walgreens-Lemonaid Collaboration, Personalized Telehealth is Just a Click Away

Did not realize you had to be logged in to read my links, here are working links from their blogs about it.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:06 AM

13 posts, read 10,410 times
Agreed on the 23 and Me site! It is challenging and definitely not their strong suit. Stick with what you do best is my motto. That said, for those who have family trees, don't rebuild them on other sites, that is labor-intensive. Download the GEDCOM (genealogy database communication) file and upload it to whatever site you want to build a new one on.

I created a family tree on Ancestry's site and wanted to build one on My Hertiage's site because my sister had one there. Upload the GEDCOM file and you're good to go.

Just my two cents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy