Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 11:27 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

I feel like my thread was merged ! lol
Anyways, I have lived in the USA for 21 years. All my family is still in Sweden as well as all my relatives. I am the only one here in The USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 10:40 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I feel like my thread was merged ! lol
Anyways, I have lived in the USA for 21 years. All my family is still in Sweden as well as all my relatives. I am the only one here in The USA.
Sorry, if I derailed the thread I didn’t mean to. The point I was trying to make is that Ancestry should be taken with a grain of salt, and may not give you the answers you are looking for. It’s interesting because my one brother is fairer than my other brother and myself and shows up as having more Nordic genes than we do. I was reading on Ancestry that some siblings may inherit more genes than others which I haven’t quite wrapped my head around, but it may explain why you look different.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I did my ancestry DNA today and will mail it in tomorrow. I am so anxious to know why I look the way I do.
So I am Native Swedish, born and raised. My parents are also born and raised in Sweden and so are both my grandparents and their parents. And most likely beyond that. Nobody on either side have claimed to know of anybody that came from outside Sweden. they already research possibilities such as Sami and something else I don't remember the name of it.
Both my parents came from rural parts of the country. My dad is from the most Sothern part of Sweden and my mom from the middle part of the country.
Here is the thing. I have medium brown hair and light brown eyes and a olive-skin complexion. My mom is the same way. We are the odd balls in our family and it drives me crazy because nobody can explain why.
I hope that ancestry maybe can shed some light on my mystery because I would love to find out why I look different than the rest of the family.
I would also like to find out if anybody is in a similar situation like me and what they found out once they got their results back. Please share your experience!
That's not unusual at all Sweden was not an isolated Country, many people migrated to Sweden the largest group in the middle ages were Germans, Roma people came in the 1500s followed by Walloons from Belgium, and when the Vikings were invading they brought back large numbers of Irish slaves who in many cases married their captors and had children with them. My Grandmother was Swedish she had blonde hair and blue eyes, her sister had light brown hair, hazel eyes and an olive complexion. My Norwegian grandfather had black hair and light blue eyes. It's all about migration. I had a really good map of Scandinavian migration on my hard drive but I can't for the life of me find it But here's an article you might enjoy reading:
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-ssb020118.php

Old 01-04-2021, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's not unusual at all Sweden was not an isolated Country, many people migrated to Sweden the largest group in the middle ages were Germans, Roma people came in the 1500s followed by Walloons from Belgium, and when the Vikings were invading they brought back large numbers of Irish slaves who in many cases married their captors and had children with them. My Grandmother was Swedish she had blonde hair and blue eyes, her sister had light brown hair, hazel eyes and an olive complexion. My Norwegian grandfather had black hair and light blue eyes. It's all about migration. I had a really good map of Scandinavian migration on my hard drive but I can't for the life of me find it But here's an article you might enjoy reading:
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-ssb020118.php
Thanks!
And if you do find that map please post it.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:22 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Because of the way Ancestry DNA determines ethic ancestry, you should ignore any low percentage. It's no doubt an artifact of the way they use panels of markers.

My DNA testing told me little, and nothing through Ancestry that I did not already know. OTOH, I've stopped worrying about 6th cousins and such. I want to know about ancestors, not folks with whom I share a few percent of DNA!

As you know, Swedish records make it pretty easy to go back 9-10 generations, once you get used to the old script. No DNA sequencing will help you go beyond that, even if they claim to tell you "ancient" DNA.

You can also expect few responses to your contact efforts. That's just the way stuff goes these days.

Finally, as a Swede, you know the limited number of names that were used in past centuries. When I'm looking at possible ancestors, I want to match name, place and date. Most trees on Ancestry are full of bogus ancestors or relatives, as users are too eager to accept suggestions. It's always informative, for instance, to look at the sources of prospective tree matches. Most of the time, I find they're other trees, although maybe one in 50 will have actual source information back to source records.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:28 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Because of the way Ancestry DNA determines ethic ancestry, you should ignore any low percentage. It's no doubt an artifact of the way they use panels of markers.
That's true for any company.

Quote:
My DNA testing told me little, and nothing through Ancestry that I did not already know. OTOH, I've stopped worrying about 6th cousins and such. I want to know about ancestors, not folks with whom I share a few percent of DNA!
Your DNA matches can help tell you about the ancestors you share. And actually, a few percent is a lot. Sharing about 2-3% with someone is around a 2nd-3rd cousin, not 6th+.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:57 AM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
LoL, when I told a woman of my Scandinavian heritage (not German), mentioned my maternal grandfather was from Spain. She replied that "The Vikings got in everywhere!"

My biological brother and I both have blue eyes, brown hair, our parents had hazel eyes, dark/black hair. Believe it goes back to go both sides from the British, Scandinavian.

Posted as I'd like to know your results

Old 01-17-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
LoL, when I told a woman of my Scandinavian heritage (not German), mentioned my maternal grandfather was from Spain. She replied that "The Vikings got in everywhere!"

My biological brother and I both have blue eyes, brown hair, our parents had hazel eyes, dark/black hair. Believe it goes back to go both sides from the British, Scandinavian.

Posted as I'd like to know your results
I will let you know.
I probably do have south European ancestors.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:04 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,224 times
I did the Ancestry DNA test 3 years ago. The results change steadily as time goes by. It's still a pretty broad range, I think it will narrow down pretty small once more and more people have it done.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:59 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurNextAdventure View Post
I did the Ancestry DNA test 3 years ago. The results change steadily as time goes by. It's still a pretty broad range, I think it will narrow down pretty small once more and more people have it done.
Over 18 million people have taken AncestryDNA's test. But that's not the same as their reference panel. However, I don't think it's a matter of a bigger reference panel - there's just too much genetic overlap among neighboring regions, I don't think it'll ever get to a point where we can pinpoint the percentages with much reliability. The Genetic Communities seem highly accurate, but there's no assurance of getting a GC in every area you have recent ancestry in, and there's no percentages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy