U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,648,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamyers View Post
Ok, so I tried to call one of the hospitals that were back in Philadelphia PA in the 70s but hit a huge brick wall. I was told that in order to look up the birth medical records for the child, I would need the mother's name, which I don't have. I had them look with the baby's last name, but they are saying nothing comes up under Taylor in 1975. I don't know what to do.
Well, then, you try other hospitals. This is how it's done..hit one brick wall, try another. Just keep plugging away at it. If they say nothing comes up with the last name and date, have them check for the first names of boys born on that date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 PM

260 posts, read 808,278 times
I found this link but I am such a dummy on trying to filter through it...I think it lists newspapers in Philadelphia, but I'm not sure how to look up the stuff you ladies telling me to look up. What exactly am I looking for again?
Sorry, but I am a little inept at this kind of searches...anything else, I can probably get it though..lol...thank you all for being so patient.
Finding Newspapers at Penn - Research Guide

Old 07-02-2008, 12:37 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,648,270 times
It's usually on the same page as the obituaries and divorces. Search "births" in the archives.

or.... you could email the newspapers asking for their help. Some feature-starved reporter may take up your cause and run some searches for you in hopes of a great human-interest story.

I found this for you:
PA Adoption Reunion Registry (PARR)

edit: It has a library of PA newspapers and hospital links!

Great advice here: Search Guidelines

Last edited by hcgCali; 07-02-2008 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 13,375 times
Have you tried this site?

OmniTrace - USA People Search

Old 07-02-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlluhring View Post
Have you tried this site?

OmniTrace - USA People Search
Oh yes...I tried them...but boy, they charge over $1500 and said the search could take over a year. I think I might have to try my own resources first before I have to shell out that kind of money.
I sincerely thought that since I had his birth last name that the search would be easier, but it is not.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,650 times
I have been able to find so many sites that do not come up on a normal search such as google and yahoo...these sites are also called the Invisible Web.
To find people I ONLY use Pipl - People Search. Try that and if you do not have any luck with that feel free to email me and I will hunt also to see if you can find him.
Good Luck!
Kimmie

Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 10,103 times
I have been reading your situation. Ancestry might have something as well. Also Taylor might be the fathers name. All births are put under the mother maiden name unless she is married, so if she was married to the father then it would be listed under Taylor, but if they were not, then it would be under the name that she went by at the time of delivery. Go to Google and use " markes around your husband full name. Then after that use a + sign and type in the city and state were he was born. That will bring up only what you want. If nothing comes up, try different things, trying anything is better then nothing. I know it is hard. But you can do it. You will be in my prayers. LO

Old 08-15-2008, 06:13 AM

9,164 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Yaya, how are you making out with this? Did you ever try the link I sent you via direct message?

Old 08-23-2008, 05:16 PM

Wink Found out new information

Hi all..well...I was offline for awhile while moving back to Philadelphia. My husband and I are still searching for his Birth family. However, we recently came to some new breakthrough. His Amother told me that she didn't get him from a regular adoption agency. He was adopted out of the Children's Aid society in Philadelphia PA. It seems that he was with her for about 2 yrs. before the adoption was final. I think that she was his foster mom for awhile first and then, maybe his Bmother didn't get her stuff together and the Amother was given the green light to adopt him. She said she got him in 1978 but the adoption was not finalized till 1980. We went to the Children's aid society site and found out that we can get non-identifying info for $150, so we will be requesting that soon. Other than that...I don't know what to do next. The people at this place more than likely have his birth parents names and stuff, but because of PA laws probably won't give it to us. That sucks!!! One great thing out of this is that we have his brith name though...any tips? suggestions on how we can approach this situation. My MIL told me that my husband was more than likely in a foster home before being given to her, and so was his little brother, that was adopted by a different family. He also had a sister, but my mother in law says that she might had stayed with a blood relative of the birth mom. Help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks..

Old 08-24-2008, 07:01 AM

9,164 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Yaya, did you get the link I sent you? Go there and register using the information you do have. It is enough to be searchable so that if someone looks for him they may get lucky. It's also possible that his BM or other family are registered. Do the search there.

As for the agency, type out a letter expressing interest to have his info given out to other family in case they go there looking for him. Tell them they have permission to share it. Then have it notarized
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy