Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Has anyone found a "Famous" ancestor??? One that you are really sure about...

Not me..not yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 10:43 AM

261 posts, read 954,273 times
Quote:
Has anyone found a "Famous" ancestor??? One that you are really sure about...
Teddy Roosevelt and FDR. Plus I had a distant cousin that taught Milton Hershey how to make chocolates. Hershey was his apprentice. Too bad my ancestor hadn't had the sense to do more with it.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
It depends upon how you define famous. US Senator, Oklahoma legislator, NY Legislator, Judges and the first man to printt a newspaper in the newly Opened Cherokee Land Run. He was also also a well respected Arborist around the world and wrote a book or two on it. and a US President. .

Old 01-21-2009, 07:24 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
I think those people would qualify as "famous" !!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 AM

Default Reply to Trudeyrose

Quote:
I think those people would qualify as "famous" !!
Maybe, but what about the RW and CW soldiers, or the first settlers to the New World? During the RW, the Tory Pine Tree Robbers tried to hang my ancestral aunt with bedcord from her bed. That was cheeky.

Do you realize the number of wars in Europe the ancestors endured before their descendants removed to the New World - or the religous wars that premanently divided country, or even the vast control the HRE held on Europe? It's fascinating.

If it wasn't for genealogy I would never had the reason to learn. That the earliest ships with settlers came to the colonies in 1625 isn't enough information. Why did hey leave? One thing leads to another and before you know it there is a story waiting to be told about the ancestor. .

We need to keep telling About This Forum why we want a Genealogy Forum.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:27 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,094 times
Meanwhile, a great place for anyone just curious or anyone serious about genealogy is the free Mormon website. It has the world's largest databases of genealogical information. All you need do to start is type in a name:

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

Old 01-22-2009, 09:46 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
I've tried FamilySearch.org many times and got no results. I find it hard to believe they have the largest database - maybe the largest FREE database but I've gotten dozens of results on ancestry.com and nothing on FamilySearch.org

Old 01-22-2009, 01:09 PM

Please remember the Gedcoms and lists at Ancestry/rootsweb are not primoary sources. Neither are books unless it is a family bible. Census takers and transcribers didn't always get it right either.

As for *hits* on a name, you can get a lot of hits if the name is spellled incorrectly. Try to spell it right in the search engine and there are no hits. It is only as good as the person who enters the information.

The days when real family searchers (with years of experience and a file full of primary records) )wre on the web sharing what they knew in an effort to help those of us who did not are gone.

They've been replaced by people whose only goal is to have the greatest number of names in a file. These authors do not know how they are related to every person in their database and they want you to tell them about your family.

I have a small 12 genenation file. I know who and how and I have the sources.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Maybe, but what about the RW and CW soldiers, or the first settlers to the New World? During the RW, the Tory Pine Tree Robbers tried to hang my ancestral aunt with bedcord from her bed. That was cheeky.

Do you realize the number of wars in Europe the ancestors endured before their descendants removed to the New World - or the religous wars that premanently divided country, or even the vast control the HRE held on Europe? It's fascinating.

If it wasn't for genealogy I would never had the reason to learn. That the earliest ships with settlers came to the colonies in 1625 isn't enough information. Why did hey leave? One thing leads to another and before you know it there is a story waiting to be told about the ancestor. .

We need to keep telling About This Forum why we want a Genealogy Forum.

My first interest is European History.. so yes, I do know about many of those wars... The Hundred Year War.. The Thirty Years War, The Seven Year War and on and on...and that is what led to America...The most interesting thing about Genealogy is finding out about our ancestors who lived and died throughout that history... It is what makes us what we are today !!
I have one ancestor who died in the battle of Flodden Fiels in 1530...
Battle of Flodden Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-22-2009, 08:09 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
My first interest is European History.. so yes, I do know about many of those wars... The Hundred Year War.. The Thirty Years War, The Seven Year War and on and on...and that is what led to America...The most interesting thing about Genealogy is finding out about our ancestors who lived and died throughout that history... It is what makes us what we are today !!
I have one ancestor who died in the battle of Flodden Fiels in 1530...
Battle of Flodden Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I posed a question on the social group about my grandmother coming here from England and you said she may not have left from England because of the cost of trip...were there any ports that were frequented by thrifty passengers??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy