Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:58 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
My grandmother on the other side of the family came from Denmark alone when she was only 14 years old just after WW2. Her uncle was part of a underground Danish resistance group during the war and he ended up in a prision camp but survived the war. Her spouse (my grandpa) was raised on a poor Nebraska farm; his family went to California after the farm failed during the depression.
In the summer of 1884 Karen Marie Olsen and her family were on vacation. They left the big city of København behind for a weekend to take in some countryside in Jyderup, Danmark. She met Christen Larsen and they often 'went out walking'. In November they were married and moved to København.

Christen found a job at the salt works. That didn't last long as he quit after his boss asked him to work 3 consecutive 36 hour shifts (with 12 hour breaks between).

For 6 months Christen was out of work. Karen Marie 'took to washing [clothes] to earn a living'. Christen walked the streets looking for work. This is where he heard the LDS gospel for the first time. Shortly after the couple were baptized and shortly after that they made the decision to move to Salt Lake City.

2006. I move from New Mexico to Washington DC and meet a beautiful scientist. I discover that she is from Denmark.

Things are going great. I've been to København many times, and Jyderup a few times. They have a genealogy center there where I've been able to trace my ancestry back another couple of generations (and confirm that I'm not dating my cousin )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 12:46 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
In the summer of 1884 Karen Marie Olsen and her family were on vacation. They left the big city of København behind for a weekend to take in some countryside in Jyderup, Danmark. She met Christen Larsen and they often 'went out walking'. In November they were married and moved to København.

Christen found a job at the salt works. That didn't last long as he quit after his boss asked him to work 3 consecutive 36 hour shifts (with 12 hour breaks between).

For 6 months Christen was out of work. Karen Marie 'took to washing [clothes] to earn a living'. Christen walked the streets looking for work. This is where he heard the LDS gospel for the first time. Shortly after the couple were baptized and shortly after that they made the decision to move to Salt Lake City.

2006. I move from New Mexico to Washington DC and meet a beautiful scientist. I discover that she is from Denmark.

Things are going great. I've been to København many times, and Jyderup a few times. They have a genealogy center there where I've been able to trace my ancestry back another couple of generations (and confirm that I'm not dating my cousin )
It's cool to know where you came from. Grandma was from Terndrup, on the mainland. I've never been there, but hope to go someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy