U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,191 posts, read 22,807,257 times

Advertisements

^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 PM

13 posts, read 16,996 times
My wife collects odd names we have come across or met in our Genealogy searches: Spicy Overalls, Cherry Buns, Snow Flake, Gotobed, Snow, Bird, Fish and so on..... She has over 2000 names I believe on the computer.
My uncle named his girls, Joy and Delight? No expanation needed.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:04 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,525,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Interesting list! Did you find some of these on census records? If so, I wonder if "Ellawese" was really "Eloise", and the census taker just wrote down what he thought he heard?? Or perhaps the parents heard "Eloise", liked and used it, but were unfamiliar with the usual spelling so wrote it phonetically. No idea if "Jennawese" might be the result of creative hearing/spelling or an actual made-up name to go with Ellawese/Eloise. Maybe "Genoiese"? Is that a name? Or a description of a native of Geneva/Genoa?.
Jennawese and Ellawese are current relatives that DH knew growin up. The census and many government records actually have them listed in vaious ways, many of which were the more traditional ways. They were twins and given the unconventional spellings by their parents. It is a running joke that they had many aliases.

Quote:
"Viney" probably started out as a nickname for "Lavinia"... and the nickname, rather than the formal name, got passed along to the original person's namesakes..
This is something I can look into. My Vineys are all from the 1820-1908 and while not in direct trees, in the same general locations, so it may be a local adaptation of Lavina.

Quote:
I bet "Narcipa" was really "Narcissa", and someone mistook the old written "long s", which can look like an f, for a p and accidentally omitted the second s. If this theory is correct, the name would have looked like "Narcifsa" originally when written, but the "long s" would have had a long tail descending below the rest of the letter, making it look much like a written lower case "p". There was a rule about using the "long s" after or before consonants, but I can't recall the rule...just that there was a rule..
This is likely correct. She apparently went by Narcie as a nickname and it was transfered as Nancy. I have Narcissa listed as the alternative name.

Quote:
I expect "Esame" was really "Esme". Someone in your family liked Biblical and classical names, clearly..
I haven't looked deeply into this person, as she is more of a peripheral relative, but this makes sense.

Quote:
I had a several-times g-aunt who got listed on the census as "Arrow Bell" - of course, her name was really Arabelle, as other records make clear. I have another whose name was "Purify" - no, they were not Puritans, it began as a surname with that pronunciation but a different spelling...
Arrow Bell... now tha would be a cool name lol.

Quote:
"Isham" is also a surname - I have some Ishams somewhere back in my father's family in 18th century Virginia. Keightley, Savage, Massie, and Kinchen are likely to be surnames as well - check the mother's side of their families. "Manllious" is usually spelled "Manlius" - it's an old noble Roman name. .
This is something to look into as well. I did not know Isham was a surname and my oldest Isham I have no information on the mother.... hmmmm. I knew Keightley was a surname but it hasn't helped me find his momma yet. Massie is another of my walls. Kinchen's mother is in debate as well. There is very little info on him other than his death at Lookout Point as a POW.

Quote:
As for "Vigage Micajah", my guess is that this person's name was just the Biblical "Micajah" but the census taker (or whoever) was uncertain what they had heard, so wrote down "Vigage" as well, perhaps intending to correct it later on - which never happened. If you pronounce the "e" as a "eh" sound, "Vigage" sounds very much like "Micajah". : "Vi-GA-ge(h)" instead of "VI-gage".
''

I thought of this as well. With limited records from the late 1700s and since he lived 120 driving miles away from the rest of the family, I don't stumble onto any relevant information to substantiate this.

Quote:
Names never cease to fascinate...
Can you imagine what our decendants will be saying about names in 100 years?

Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,456,525 times
Raptovulture would be unusual and kinda cool for either a boy or a girl I think.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:46 AM

270 posts, read 207,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I found a few odd names for the females in my family tree. They are, Drucilla, Laminda, Lavina, Lotta and Cistena. The only odd name I have come across for males is Mathias otherwise the guys all have common names, which like another poster mentioned has made searching for ancestors problematic.
Druzilla is my favorite.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 PM

51,358 posts, read 50,609,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I found a few odd names for the females in my family tree. They are, Drucilla, Laminda, Lavina, Lotta and Cistena. The only odd name I have come across for males is Mathias otherwise the guys all have common names, which like another poster mentioned has made searching for ancestors problematic.
Mathias isn't that uncommon (maybe nowadays). But it's a bible/saint name--the apostle who replaced Judas.

I think I have heard of Lavina, but not the others. Interesting set of names.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,887,266 times
Tasmania for a female!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,272,133 times
Cormac, Aquila, Squire, Eliab, Rainey, Early, male names.

Sarai, Willie, female names. Willie Bell was my Great Grandmother, and it wasn't short for Wilhelmina or anything else you'd think of for a girl. It was just Willie. Maybe they were expecting a boy? Her tombstone reads "Will"!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM

13 posts, read 16,996 times
In doing genealogy, we found that the census takers of the past were not Rocket Scientist. They put down what they thought they heard as we do now a days in school. To them spelling was not important. Remember this was before social security and they were just looking at people. Names change when they come to the state at Ellis Island. My wife grandfather was named Williams and when they called him by his middle name he like it and told them that he was a Ellis. Did not have to go to court to change your name. If we had known our forefathers names, our childrn would have different names. There is a book in the Library or should be called Tennessee Cousins. It seems that everyone went through Tennessee... and remember Tennessee used to be a east coast state! That is why you have many spelling of names. Not a family name or otherwise, just a name. As one blogger said her grandmother was named Willie. My mothers name Was willie and my wifes mother was Millie. We did not name our children Willie Millie!

Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM

738 posts, read 771,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynewallace View Post
...Names change when they come to the state at Ellis Island...
Will this myth ever end???

No, Family Names Were Not Changed at Ellis Island - Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter

RVcook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy