Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:54 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Grethel. She went by Grace.
I have a case very similar in my family tree. I have a 5th great grandmother whose birth name was "Grizzel" but she either went by the nickname Grace, or it was changed by her descendants to sound more pleasing. This is according to a story I found on ancestry.com so it could of course be suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,724 times
In my lines I have come across: Safronia (she went by Fronie), Narcissa (2 of them actually), Victus (female), Hardy, Honor, Right, (then there came Honor Right), Ettrick, Claibourne, & Ever.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:25 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieheartless View Post
In my lines I have come across: Safronia (she went by Fronie), Narcissa (2 of them actually), Victus (female), Hardy, Honor, Right, (then there came Honor Right), Ettrick, Claibourne, & Ever.

Now and then an older woman's obituary will be in paper and the name " Fronie" in parenthesis.

Usually her first name was Veronica.
Sanfronia would seem to fit better, though.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 PM

752 posts, read 1,493,820 times
There is a "Praxo" in my mother's family, who was born in New Hampshire in 1815. She tended to go by either Pearl or Praine, according to census and other things we have. Praxo is a Greek goddess of hospitality.

Sometimes unusual names are a good clue to finding more on someone, especially if their parentage is not known or uncertain. Another practice you'll see sometimes is a first name being given that was a surname of the mother or someone else in the family---there is a Simmons in my family, who is named such as his mother's maiden name was Simmons.
Then you have some really odd ones like Freelove, Huldah (Biblical name, rare now), Temperance, and so on....

Old 10-04-2013, 01:13 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I LOVE some of those old New England Puritan names: Patience, Prudence, Temperance, Experience, Remembrance, Silence. I don't quite get "Freelove" or "Desire" since they seem a little suggestive. I also found lots of examples of Jerusha and Jemima in my Connecticut line.

Shoot, now I'm craving pancakes.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I went to a college football game and every time #21 carried the ball the announcer would say--------------" Sir Gregory Thornton"

I wondered if he was from England.
I then looked his number up on the program and his first name was "Sirgregory "

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieheartless View Post
From Sophronia: Greek for wisdom. Sophronia | meaning of Sophronia | name Sophronia

Old 10-05-2013, 12:51 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I LOVE some of those old New England Puritan names: Patience, Prudence, Temperance, Experience, Remembrance, Silence. I don't quite get "Freelove" or "Desire" since they seem a little suggestive. I also found lots of examples of Jerusha and Jemima in my Connecticut line.

Shoot, now I'm craving pancakes.
Covered here: vvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Yes, definitely a (often Puritan) virtue name. They also named some daughters Desire, not meaning what modern readers might think.

Here's a good article about it: Cleveland Evans: Puritans gave us Mercy, Patience, Desire - Omaha.com

Old 10-05-2013, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,793 times
My name is Belen and I would love it if people ever learned how to read or spell... But my friend once dated a girl named Eilish and that really takes the cake for weird names.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:34 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
For some reason all the Dutch Henriettas in my family became Anna when they came here. I don't get the connection. And Gertje changed her name to Charlotte.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,411 times
My 3rd great-grandmother has a name I do not know how to spell: Bienoy. It might be Dutch, Irish or one of the languages from India. Grandmother said that Bienoy was from the family of a Dutch man who was disowned by his family when he wed an East Indian woman, and the couple moved to Ireland. But I do not know how many generations are between Bienoy and the Dutch-Indian couple. Any clues about the name would be appreciated.

Last edited by ApplegateJ1; 10-07-2013 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: remove format codes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy