U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 PM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times

Advertisements

Six

Seven

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 04:31 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,023,088 times
I had a great-great grandpa named Orange Eli

Old 12-02-2009, 08:45 PM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My ex has a lot of initials on his family tree. The initials don't stand for anything.
Some of the kids weren't given either first names or middles names of any sort, and it apparently still goes on to this day as his uncles entire name is FM "Smith". I've always found that sort of unusual. Anyone else ever run across such?
Not so far -- but there is that old joke about the Army and initials. A guy by the name of R B Jones joined the Army and they were insisting he needed a NAME. A full name. And they went back and forth and there were payroll problems and no one could get it through their heads that his name was R B Jones.

So one day he filled out yet another form and he thought he'd this time he'd make it as clear as possible he was R B Jones. So he wrote "R(only) B(only) Jones".

The next week when the paymaster showed up with payroll, he called out for Ronly Bonly Jones.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 PM
KoT

103 posts, read 160,579 times
We had several by the name of Troilius in one of the branches.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:19 AM

94 posts, read 228,499 times
great uncle name 'Erraney'.

is it short for something else? The family origin is French Canadian.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:06 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
President Harry S. Truman didn't have a middle name as I recall, only the initial.

I knew a TJ, he was called Teej for a name.
Biographers of Truman have sometimes said he had a grandfather named Shippe and one named Solomon. So as not to show favoritism his parents used teh initial so he was sort of named for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyho View Post
great uncle name 'Erraney'.

is it short for something else? The family origin is French Canadian.
Is that the spelling they used? Do you know if it ends with an E sound or an A sound?

Names popping to mind are Rene and Henri.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:43 AM

94 posts, read 228,499 times
It's spelled 'Eraney' in the 1910 Census.

He also has a brother 'Calirzsodogue' --whoa.
He seems to go by the name Lloyd, later. I would too! ; )

Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 AM

8,216 posts, read 12,805,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Some ancestors have such unusual first names.

Here are some in our family tree.

These are so-called "Virtue" names from my Puritans:
Female
Hope and Hopeful
Thankful
Mercy

Both male and female
Deliverance
Experience

I'll jog my memory for others.

What are some of yours? Of any kind, not just virtue names....
I don't think "Hope" is that unusual of a name. The rest are though. I used to know a family that named all their female children virtue names: Hope, Charity, Grace, etc.

Naturally, some of the foreign names in my tree seem a bit unusual like Niels/Nels, Abelone, Maren, Wilhelmina. And I have a lot of Biblical names in my tree: Josiah, Jeremias, Gabriel, Enos, Magdalena, Jechoniah.

I particularly like Josiah but out of fear of it being shortened to "Joe", I could never name my child that (sorry to all the Joe's out there, lol).

Other odd/uncommon ones:
Griffin
Addison
Roland
Sterling
Octavia
Wenzel
Irma
Lena
Delorma
Leon
Rena
Idella

I know these names exist but they are not exactly common for our times and they also don't seem to be common for the times these people lived in either.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:32 AM

51,209 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
MIL - Missouri
SIL - Geneva

Neither have been to either of those places.

Grandmother - Nellie
FIL = Buster
When I was kid I read these books that were about two friends, Ginnie and Geneva. I always thought Geneva was a pretty name.

My grandmother was Nellie also, but she was actually Anna Petranella.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 AM

51,209 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I don't think "Hope" is that unusual of a name. The rest are though. I used to know a family that named all their female children virtue names: Hope, Charity, Grace, etc.

Naturally, some of the foreign names in my tree seem a bit unusual like Niels/Nels, Abelone, Maren, Wilhelmina. And I have a lot of Biblical names in my tree: Josiah, Jeremias, Gabriel, Enos, Magdalena, Jechoniah.

I particularly like Josiah but out of fear of it being shortened to "Joe", I could never name my child that (sorry to all the Joe's out there, lol).

Other odd/uncommon ones:
Griffin
Addison
Roland
Sterling
Octavia
Wenzel
Irma
Lena
Delorma
Leon
Rena
Idella

I know these names exist but they are not exactly common for our times and they also don't seem to be common for the times these people lived in either.
The only time I've ever heard Idella was the character played by Esther Rolle in Driving Miss daisy.

I actually like Octavia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy