U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:29 AM

94 posts, read 228,767 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows of census, bibles, city directories, but I didn't expect to find my Great-grand dad listed in the 1914 Michigan State Veterinary Board Licensing of Stallions.

So I know a horse's breed and a name but still can't find his 2nd marriage registration!

(sample--fyi: he's not listed)
Unusual Sources Where You Found An Ancestor-sample.jpg

Last edited by linicx; 12-25-2009 at 01:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 02:46 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,118,847 times
Rather than looking for a specific record, I did a lot of reading that described how our country was "builded"m as one autor wrote. I found clues where I least expected: a modern bank brochure that pre-dates state banking laws, a PHD thesis disculssing 17th centiry ships, the first Masonic Lodge in America, a book of postcard photos, a 1902 newpaper series, an 1889 newspaper series, a state encyclopaedia, pre-1800 state legislative proceedings following the RW, a series of articles written about the Oklahoma Land Runs, a thin pocket-sized book about large animal veterinary care, township grange proceedings, and in the history preceeding the founding of a state historical society. After 1800, I was able to follow the path of ancestors as they moved west by reading county newspapers and township records.

It is easier to research is small farm county than it is in large cities. However, the advantage to Chicago and NYC is the enormous research facilities that are lacking in small counties. The Newberry Library in Chicago and the NYC Public Library are two facilities that come to mind.

Worth nothing is that Illinois records are divided. Chicago and Cook County records are housed solely in Chicago. Whereas the balance of the state records are equally deivided amonst four universities that are located 150 - 200 miles apart. Birth and death records were not required by the state prior to 1915.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:36 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,289,207 times
Western Livestock Brand books. Was able to find my family's registered cattle and horse brands. Kind of a Westerner's version of a clan tartan or family crest.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:14 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,600,771 times
Found ancestry in England where we were given a lot of land. My dad married my mom in the 40's and they changed their name. Probably did it to stay away from the cops. hahahahaha

Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,053,697 times
By typing in a name on the internet. We did not hit a ancestry type site but rather an email of the person. My wife emailed her and she said, "I had that website up and running for 5 years just waiting for a Brokentap to get in contact with me." Come to find out she had the Brokentap family chest and it was the mother lode of genealogy research.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:55 AM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,159,112 times
My husband put his name in "---------" and googled and up popped the entire family all the way back to Williamsburg and some records beyond that are on the website now. His name is the same as his grandfather and all his aunts and uncles were listed so we knew it was his grandfather.

I had run into this website several times in my research, but had no idea it was in any way connected to us. His ancestors not only lived in Williamsburg; they built part of Williamsburg. They were middle class brick layers.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:10 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,580,903 times
I found my grandfather listed in a site of influential Scottish-Americans. Some of the info I knew to be wrong, and some incomplete.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:16 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,580,903 times
When researching my father's family for a centennial family certificate from the state of Michigan, I found his great-great grandparents mentioned in Douglas Houghton's personal diary. Douglas Houghton surveyed much of Michigan, he sought lodging at their cabin while he was surveying the soon-to-be state.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:11 PM

903 posts, read 1,636,109 times
We found family on both my mother's side and father's side living in the same house at the same time 50 years before my parents were born . Do I assume that it was a lasting families friendship that my parents met as the were both born and grew up in different area's of Michigan . I'd ask but my parents/grandparents are gone now .

Old 12-28-2009, 06:30 PM

952 posts, read 1,866,804 times
While reading through an ancestor's civil war pension record I found her aunt, who I had been looking for for several years listed as a witness to her children's births. Knocked down a brick wall for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy