U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:22 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,964,466 times

Advertisements

Doesn't bother me if people get information from my family tree. Yes, I get fired up by the search, but I've gotten unsolicited tips from other geneologists that have viewed my research. I figure that's why it's called sharing. the records are public records anyway.
Besides, how would one know that someone else is "borrowing" from one's family tree on Ancestry.com?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:26 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,474,363 times
Doesn't bother me, I hope that someone will see my tree and fill in my brick wall!!! I enjoy sharing and have "met" cousins via Ancestry.com and we had pieces of each others history and without sharing we would have never solve some of our problems.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,115,274 times
I use Ancestry.com for the databases and only when I can cite a source, do I put it on the tree in my computer. I also use the free research at NARA and the LOC - found my Dad's Army enlistment in NARA, printed it out and then went looking for other items. I have gotten full archival files on ancestors from the LOC. I have spent countless hours in dusty rooms with old texts and on microfilm and fiche machines to get what I have.

I have never uploaded my files. I will not upload my files. The reason is that mine are cited and I will not use an undocumented source.

People on Ancestry and other sites will just grab and add items and not cite. No citation, it should not be there.

Call me old fashioned, I like verification

Old 03-18-2010, 05:47 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,268,624 times
I started researching my maternal side of my family tree recently on ancestry.com. I'm still trying to figure out how to use it. I have taken some photos/info from other trees. Initially I left notes, but only one very distant cousin responded, and I'm happy to report I'm now in touch with that long-lost side of my family. I have since stopped leaving notes. I didn't know I was supposed to leave a note for copying names/birth dates/etc. I guess I'm a "boor", as the OP phrased it. I don't even know how to "steal" public records like census information, nor do I understand how someone would even know I had stolen it. Meanwhile, I have included my own photos and information that I have gathered on my own, and I would be honored if someone chose to use it.

I do know my father has fully documented the paternal line of my family tree, has even written a book, and he doesn't use ancestry.com. He doesn't like it for various reasons. But I think it's a wonderful tool that's helpful in research. If someone chooses to use it and stay private, that's their business, they have that option. But I'm perplexed by the bitterness of some who are public and then complain about it.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,087,640 times
I use several genealogy Web Sites and through the public family trees I have found "cousins by the dozens", one I knew about but had never met and the others I didn't. Both sides of my grandparents came to Arkansas in the mid 1850s and happened to settle in the same area and that's where we all were born and raised with my age group being the last from there. I have since taken three of those "lost" cousins back to that area for a sight seeing trip and take along a 1936 county road map (the oldest I can find) so they can see how it was then and how it is now. No people and no houses. It is a shock to them to look out the truck window and see nothing but trees, then look at the map and see that in 1936 (and long before) it was a well populated area. I guess "different strokes for different folks".

Old 03-25-2010, 02:21 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
... I don't even know how to "steal" public records like census information, nor do I understand how someone would even know I had stolen it. Meanwhile, I have included my own photos and information that I have gathered on my own, and I would be honored if someone chose to use it....
The only way I ever know that someone has taken data from me is if they copy my errors in spelling or other mistakes - and I have certainly found that. Otherwise, I even if they have obscure family data and connexions that I thought only I had found, I cannot be sure that they didn't do the same work that I did and make the same discoveries.

I invite people to copy my data, etc. if they wish, and I have offered people extra stuff that isn't up on Ancestry.com. I've been doing this for several years, but it is in the past three months that I have met several distant relative on Ancestry. com who have given me so much data, and solved puzzles.

One fellow, Simon, has sent me copies of four letters from 150 years ago involving my family that were are in the possession of a distant relative in Cornwall...and tons of old photos. All this has allowed me to attach this Canadian family to their roots, and to their migration in a time of religious revival....all of which I had come to suspect through scraps of data, but now know for a fact.

I respect the right of people to keep their trees private if they wish. But mine is there for anyone to see and take from, and I hope this encourages them to contact me.

However, if people are going to borrow - I do wish they would borrow the sources too! "Steal" my work, but dammit steal it all.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:25 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,268,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

However, if people are going to borrow - I do wish they would borrow the sources too! "Steal" my work, but dammit steal it all.
That's a great story involving Simon!

I haven't yet figured out how to do the "sources", I've been meaning to try. It can all be very confusing.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:30 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,115,274 times
All I ask is the people who ask me for info use the CITATIONS I already have ( book, volume, page; or Bible; or census by town, page, line.... etc.)

If someone puts it in wrong, it is murder to get them to correct it. I never use something I cannot cite.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,159,738 times
I'm not brand new at tracing my family's history, but neither am I an expert genealogist. I've taken a little bit of information from others' trees, and had information copied from mine. More often the latter, because-- though I certainly have made a mistake from time to time-- I can't trust some of the other public trees out there. Standards vary too much as far as level of accuracy desired.

Does it bother me when people copy my information? No. I do the work because it's valuable to me and to my sisters and our children. If other people get value from it, that needn't subtract from my joy at finding Great-Grandpa Elmer's mom's name, or the year Berthe and Erhard emigrated. It's not like Berthe and Erhard can only "belong" to one of us. (In fact, given the prodigious child-producing capabilities of Berthe and Erhard, we're probably at least distantly related to everybody in a three-state area.)

I was contacted this weekend, after a long genealogical dry spell, by a distant cousin researching the same metaphorical brick wall I've been banging my head against. It ended up being no material help to her, but she had a few pieces of information I didn't, and was exceptionally gracious about sharing. At any rate, I have renewed interest in working on that corner of the puzzle again, and anything I find I'll happily share with her.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
....It's not like Berthe and Erhard can only "belong" to one of us. (In fact, given the prodigious child-producing capabilities of Berthe and Erhard, we're probably at least distantly related to everybody in a three-state area.)....
Heh heh. Genealogy has given me a whole new appreciation of that expression "an embarrassment of riches."

When one's forbears never let the grass grow on a grave before they remarried and number their offspring literally by the dozens , in some localities it is a feat not to be related to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or