Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:25 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times

Advertisements

I didn't make it to the Library of Congress either. I spent a bit of money on birth, death, and marriage licenses on the generations where I could find them. I spent several days at the local library going through their soundex and microfilm. I took pictures at the local cemetery to get dates and pictures before there was a FindAGrave or other headstone places. I spent several Saturday afternoons at the state repository for census and other type records.

I have gotten pictures I would never have seen. I got my stories by first searching in the libraries. Now I've found books and some people are starting to share a few of the stories no one ever talked about. And... I have several stories about moonshine. Someone in the family did get arrested for it and go to prison so they quit making it, but... I found out the family recipes still exists. I just need to request a copy for my scrapbook. Lol!

A lot of this wouldn't happen if I didn't share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 01:32 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I didn't make it to the Library of Congress either. I spent a bit of money on birth, death, and marriage licenses on the generations where I could find them. I spent several days at the local library going through their soundex and microfilm. I took pictures at the local cemetery to get dates and pictures before there was a FindAGrave or other headstone places. I spent several Saturday afternoons at the state repository for census and other type records.

I have gotten pictures I would never have seen. I got my stories by first searching in the libraries. Now I've found books and some people are starting to share a few of the stories no one ever talked about. And... I have several stories about moonshine. Someone in the family did get arrested for it and go to prison so they quit making it, but... I found out the family recipes still exists. I just need to request a copy for my scrapbook. Lol!

A lot of this wouldn't happen if I didn't share.
Funny about the moonshine. I found out my mother's father made it. One of his sons told his son, my cousin, that my uncles liked to go mess around their father's still just enough that their father would know someone had been there. The still then got moved. When there was "product" available, my grandfather would hang a coat on a nail by the front door so anyone driving by could see it.

When I told that story to my father's sister, she said, "Mr. William? No!" She had never heard that he made it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy