Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:28 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times

Advertisements

Again, this topic has nothing to do with DNA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:19 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
And again, trying to connect to a tree at Ancestry that isn't supported by a DNA test is just crazy. And blind connections are interesting.

My biggest issue with Ancestry has to do with them not offering DNA testing at the time when my tree was pillaged.

And this thread has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH DNA.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:09 AM

Biological connections are not the be all and end all of genealogy or family history. People have been doing genealogy since long before DNA was even discovered.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:53 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
And again, trying to connect to a tree at Ancestry that isn't supported by a DNA test is just crazy. And blind connections are interesting.

My biggest issue with Ancestry has to do with them not offering DNA testing at the time when my tree was pillaged.

And this thread has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH DNA.
You do not understand DNA testing at all, it seems. You will not share DNA with thousands of people who are your blood relatives. You do not even have DNA from all of your own ancestors, because of the genetic process called recombination.

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/...hy-it-matters/

https://dna-explained.com/2016/02/25...our-ancestors/

My brother has 4150 matches at Family Tree DNA. He and I share matches for only 2168 of those. I have matches that he doesn't and he has matches that I don't. For people we both match, we may or may not match at the same chromosome segments. If I demanded that anyone who claimed to be related to me had a DNA match, I would miss 1982 relatives at FTDNA that match my brother but not me. If he had not tested at all, I would not even know they exist.

By the way, I have twice as many matches at FTDNA as I do at 23AndMe. That is because people who are interested in genealogy are choosing to DNA test with FTDNA more often than 23AndMe.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:51 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
You guys win.

I know nothing about DNA testing.

Perhaps I get better results at 23andMe for a couple of reasons, one of which is I understand that no one owes me anything. Not even their family tree or a share if we are connected.

And the bump at FTDNA isn't really that they have more interested people, it is that people who have a more vested interest in DNA testing for genealogical purposes are moving there from 23andMe and other sites where and since they offer free uploads. The mentality here isn't all that hard. They are building their databases. Remove the free uploads and watch what happens. And I see that happening really soon.

And don't act like 23andMe didn't take a hit when they stopped the genetic reports that were only recently reinstated.

I have enjoyed my experience at 23andMe and outside of the slow rollover to the new forums and that fallout from the FDA (and that one fallout where connecting parent/children trees left many 100% a certain race a couple years back), I don't have many complaints. While I enjoy learning about my previously unknown ancestors, the history that I know is rich enough. For me.

And if I can say this as a black American I think that speaks volumes. I am not looking for a Cherokee princess. Or Jewish DNA. Or a connection to royalty.

You guys have fun. My tree has been made private at Ancestry for a real reason. Years ago.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
I don't care if they take stuff off of my tree -- I'm always amused to find pictures that I KNOW I own the originals to on other trees. But it's interesting when something gets copied off my tree, I sometimes go and take a look at the tree of the person who took it -- and it's private. If it's something I'm really curious about, I have often sent them a message, saying that I'm glad they enjoyed the photo of (X), and would appreciate a chance to view their tree and see how they are related.

Crickets.

At those times, I think that it might not be a bad idea that private trees cannot take stuff from public trees without giving the public tree automatic permission to view the private tree. You take, you give. Seems fair.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I am not looking for a Cherokee princess. Or Jewish DNA. Or a connection to royalty.
Neither am I. What is your point?

Quote:
And don't act like 23andMe didn't take a hit when they stopped the genetic reports that were only recently reinstated.
I think you mean health reports - but even so, what are you talking about? No one even suggested anything of the sort that I've seen, least of all in this topic, because again, this topic isn't about DNA.

Quote:
You guys win.

I know nothing about DNA testing.
I'm not sure why you feel the need to make everything into a battle to begin with.

You clearly know some things about DNA testing, but whenever someone disagrees with you about something, or corrects you where you're wrong, you take it much too personally and turn it into something it's not.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:51 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Doesn't bother me, I hope that someone will see my tree and fill in my brick wall!!! I enjoy sharing and have "met" cousins via Ancestry.com and we had pieces of each others history and without sharing we would have never solve some of our problems.
Same here, I've met relatives I didn't even know I had by making my tree public, if someone wants to copy the information, so be it...it's a small price to pay for finding family members.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:44 PM

385 posts, read 440,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Same here, I've met relatives I didn't even know I had by making my tree public, if someone wants to copy the information, so be it...it's a small price to pay for finding family members.
Man...I remember the days hunting and pecking through book after book at the Library of Congress just hoping that I'd find something useful. When RootsWeb came out, I just about thought I died and went to heaven. Just a bunch of nice people posting the stuff they had found and pictures of headstones? Get out. :-D

I am happy to share anything I have. Happy. And if you are a DNA cousin, I will happily help you fill out your tree so we can connect the dots. No problem at all. One big happy family.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:31 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
Man...I remember the days hunting and pecking through book after book at the Library of Congress just hoping that I'd find something useful. When RootsWeb came out, I just about thought I died and went to heaven. Just a bunch of nice people posting the stuff they had found and pictures of headstones? Get out. :-D

I am happy to share anything I have. Happy. And if you are a DNA cousin, I will happily help you fill out your tree so we can connect the dots. No problem at all. One big happy family.
I never went to the library of Congress but I spent a lot of time at the local LDS genealogy library. At that time you had to look up names in an index then order microfiche and hope it would turn out to be useful.

By sharing my free on ancestry I got a picture of my great grandmother who I'd never seen a photo of and copies of letters written by one of my husband's relatives that he had sent to his wife while he was fighting in the civil war
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy