Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 08:39 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times

Advertisements

Recognition by a Native American Tribe is determined by that tribe. The Cherokee are reputed to be the most inclusive but you may need to prove your ancestry.

Some Tribes are matrilineal, others patrilineal, many require involvement in their community. If you can prove descendancy then ask their Tribal Council.

Tribes are recognized as independent government entities which is why there were treaties. In the not so distant past the Federal government tried to dissolve tribes (see the comment about the Klamath's).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,170 times
How do I get a replacement CDIB card.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:18 PM

267 posts, read 722,297 times
your tribe would replace it

Old 01-31-2016, 09:11 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMMEGNA View Post
Hello,
Could someone please lead me in the right direction? I have been on many websites, but am more confused than ever. Having been estranged from my father and not knowing my heritage/lineage, I have spent 20 years researching and came across a letter from a second aunt complaining that my grandfather (he came here from Ireland in 1914) married an "Indian". Upon further investigation, I have located photos and received a name of this woman, as well as many letters discussing her heritage as NA. Here is what I know of her from "family letters only", Her name was Letitia Fisher, born on the Salamanca reservation in 1852. She is my great-great grandmother. I have been unable to locate her in any records except that she married my great-great grandfather, Surname GUILD in PA as stated in 2 public genealogy books on the family name GUILD. It took me 20 years to track down that my grandfather was born in Kenmare, Ireland and now I find that his wife was of NA descent and am very much intrigued and excited to share this with my family. I have researched Letitia day and night and cannot find a birth record for her or any facts that she even lived, minus the photos and letters. I would so appreciate any crumbs of info that will point me in a direction that I can research further. Thank you very much,
Lisa
Lisa,
I looked over census records for Leticia & did not see anything but white in the race column & English speaking... nor was she enumerated on the Indian censuses. William her father was enumerated as white with his second wife. It is possible Leticia's mother Susan was Indian.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,384 times
Your saying that your heritage doesn’t matter regardless of how far back it goes. I think you all are denying your history And it is sad. I’m 1/256 and this 8 generation means blood sweat and tears of our ancestors. Y’all need a new perspective.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,384 times
Don’t be close minded. Today your looks don’t define you, it’s whats in our blood. No matter the quantity.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:54 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrenaaguilar View Post
Your saying that your heritage doesn’t matter regardless of how far back it goes. I think you all are denying your history And it is sad. I’m 1/256 and this 8 generation means blood sweat and tears of our ancestors. Y’all need a new perspective.
I don't think people (most people, anyway) are saying it doesn't matter, or denying their history, just that it doesn't wholly define them. An ancestor that far back probably hasn't had a cultural influence on you, and odds are you inherited less than 1% of your DNA from that ancestor. I'm not saying it's not a part of your heritage and ancestry or shouldn't be embraced, but to let that tiny amount define your whole identity would be a little silly, especially considering you likely did not grow up in that culture either.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:49 PM

239 posts, read 155,846 times
You have to take all this with a grain of salt. Have you heard of $5 Indians? They exist among the Cherokees: https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryto...UaH7smRsrks8A/

Old 03-29-2019, 06:35 PM

622 posts, read 427,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I beg to differ, it is NOT ancient history for many tribes, maybe for you and yours it is but if you actually KNOW what is going on even today for many tribes you would not be making that statement.

The indigenous populations DID treat the first arriving whites well, until the whites started slaughtering them. Me thinks you have limited information on the history of this country in regards to indian population outside your own.

Yes, there was the case of Spanish stowaways adopted by Indian cultures in the 16th century. Racism started when European established cities and brought females, not before. American pioneers had Indian squaws,

Old 04-23-2019, 01:17 PM

322 posts, read 707,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post
You have to take all this with a grain of salt. Have you heard of $5 Indians? They exist among the Cherokees: https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryto...UaH7smRsrks8A/

These $5 Indians can be easily disproven upon research. The author failed to mention that. They or their families won’t be found on other Cherokee rolls. The Cherokee Nation, Keetoowah in OK for example had many other Cherokee rolls which they were recorded before, during and after the removal. The Dawes was the last and final roll. While the Dawes may have some $5 Indians the article claims, most Cherokee on the Dawes “By Blood” were verified by previous other rolls, like the Emigration or old Settlers rolls to name two. There are many more. White people wanted land and few gained that way. The Dawes was a land rush. Once land was allotted was taxed, had liens and opportunity for tribal members to sell land and loose it.

Please don’t take everything on ICT as all encompassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy