Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 06:05 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times

Advertisements

I never heard them making a big deal out of any of the other census years. Is it because this year they are counting illegal populations? Just weird is all I am saying. There must be an explanation. Maybe because we had kids, they didn't count us. That info. may go directly to the govt. after we got their ss#.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 03:59 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Anyone needs to fill out a census to be counted.

I do remember controversies in 2000, 1990 and 1980 about counting illegals and homeless.

Last edited by bjh; 02-26-2010 at 04:29 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
The census was to count every person living in the country and by sex and age. The 1790 census ( we have about 5 families we have located in this in MA and VT and CT) listed the head of household, then listed males by ages ( groups of things like age 0-5, 6-10, etc. At the end of the men, it asked how many were of militia age ( 16-45). Then the women were counted, again by age.

If you want to find census forms, Rootsweb has them. So does LDS and Ancestry and many other sites. I posted the Rootsweb line ( free). You should be able to get the forms.

Charts and Forms

Over the years, the census added occupations, schooling, names of all people, monetary worth, place of birth, place of parents birth.

Most immigrants came intending to become citizens... so citizenship was taken off. (It was NOT on the short form in 2000) However, then the country got into the "illegals"stuff and this year.... I see in the census now is that the 2010 census wants to count you by race but calls Hispanic not a race, but still asks Hispanics to identify origin

Technically, as written originally, censuses were simply to count every man woman and child in the country. No one counted origin or citizenship until the mid 1800s. I have no problem with it. I do think that congressional representation should be determined based on American citizenship though.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:06 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
...However, then the country got into the "illegals"stuff and this year.... I see in the census now is that the 2010 census wants to count you by race but calls Hispanic not a race, but still asks Hispanics to identify origin

Technically, as written originally, censuses were simply to count every man woman and child in the country. No one counted origin or citizenship until the mid 1800s. I have no problem with it. I do think that congressional representation should be determined based on American citizenship though.
Which is either naive or deliberately wrong by those who create the current census and other policies. Hispanic as in Spanish speaking has nothing to do with race, that's true. Many Americans speak English but have little or no English ancestry.

But most of the people we know or think of as Hispanic or Latino are racially native American. Their ancestors just happen to come from the parts of the Americas that were dominated by the Spanish.

Originally census taking was conducted to see how many men there were to form an army. That's why they focused on heads of families and how many males were 16 or older.

As for representation based on citizenship, I couldn't agree more.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:48 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
Actually the American people we call Hispanic or Latino are generally part Native American. Depending on where their origins are they can be a blend of European, Native American and African bloods in all the variations possible. Identifying them for the census will quantify Spanish language needs and demographic partitioning.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
But that was before the social engineering requiremnts of governamnt. Put what you want to is what I say.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:52 PM
bjh

The vast majority of Latinos are not part Spanish. Just reality.

I've known many who have said, "We're Indians." Meaning natives of the Americas. More accurate for most.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
I don't think anyone has yet mentioned that a census every 10 years is a constitutional requirement.

I am a Census Bureau temporary employee for the 2010 census. Yes, illegal aliens will be counted this year and from my understanding, this is the first time the Census Bureau will be making the effort to count them. A state's representation in the House is determined by census data so, collectively, it is to our benefit to be counted. The more people living in a state, the more representation it has in Congress. States may either lose or gain representation in Congress from the census data collected this year. Not only that, but districts are drawn based on census data, too, so that every representative represents approximately the same number of people--or as close as possible. I believe that a region's representation in their own statehouse is also determined by census data.

The census form I received asked only about the people living in my household. No other personal information was asked for. I don't know if census forms asking for personal information are being distributed this year but the forms I am working with are solely for a head count.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:19 PM
bjh

True, it is a constitutional requirement to know how much of an army could be raised.

Also a big help to history and genealogy in the past.

Now it's part political boondoggle too.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:41 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
I don't see the gathering of population data as a useless exercise. There are many good reasons for a country to know how many people are living within its borders and where, other than a state's representation in Congress. Allocation of federal money for infrastructure projects, schools, hospitals, etc. is also based on census data.

Spending money on studies like this one is a boondoggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy