U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:38 AM

2,457 posts, read 6,091,412 times

Advertisements

Good story kevxu and I can relate to it. The original (English) spelling of my surname ended with an "e". After the Revolutionary War the "loyalist" went back to England and the rest stayed here. Those who stayed dropped the "e" from our name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 AM

11,432 posts, read 19,448,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It's weird that parents don't talk about their parents and grandparents to their children, I wonder why this was?
I know in my family, a few children were born on the "wrong side of the sheets".... and it was something that wasn't discussed. It was shameful. And still is.

I'm in the middle of my grandmothers parents marriage trying to figure out what went on .... and I've got the feeling something bad happened. Which is why my grandmother didn't talk about them at all. She had raised from a young age by her grandmother, who also helped her raise my Dad and his brothers... so it was all about Granny.....

The wretched burned up 1890 census would have been a REAL help on this one.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:36 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,091,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I know in my family, a few children were born on the "wrong side of the sheets".... and it was something that wasn't discussed. It was shameful. And still is.

I'm in the middle of my grandmothers parents marriage trying to figure out what went on .... and I've got the feeling something bad happened. Which is why my grandmother didn't talk about them at all. She had raised from a young age by her grandmother, who also helped her raise my Dad and his brothers... so it was all about Granny.....

I can't remember at this moment where I saw it, but I have seen a "composite" 1890 census that some organization made using various documents but I don't know how well it covered what we need here.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:53 PM
bjh

26,135 posts, read 22,790,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I can't remember at this moment where I saw it, but I have seen a "composite" 1890 census that some organization made using various documents but I don't know how well it covered what we need here.
ancestry.com has an "1890 substitute" that primarily is a compilation of city directories.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:50 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,340,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
It was not that unusual at one time. However, I was a child in the 1940's and 50's, and I can remember then when the guy next door died his widow had a photographer take a picture of him in his coffin, and she had it framed on the living room wall.
Thanks for all the input on the photographing-the-dearly-departed.

Sitting up in a chair? In a frame up on the wall?

It's official. I have now heard everything.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:14 PM
bjh

26,135 posts, read 22,790,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
ancestry.com has an "1890 substitute" that primarily is a compilation of city directories.
Here is the link:

http://search.ancestrylibrary.com/group/1890census/1890+Census+Substitute.aspx

Old 04-03-2010, 04:33 PM

11,432 posts, read 19,448,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Thanks. I have Ancestry.com -- but I don't know that I've seen that on there.... and who knows how their search function works.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:19 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,087,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Pity the Irish. They had four or five consecutive censuses go up in flames! Makes research there very difficult.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:04 AM

475 posts, read 1,289,363 times
I have watched all the episodes and I have enjoyed them. Ancestry obviously is the sponser so they are very prominent in the show.

I agree about the handling of those old documents - wearing gloves would be an excellent idea.

I would love to see them show how easy it is to go down the wrong path - due to similiar names.
I know there is a limited amount of time, they are using professional researchers who should know how to determine if they are following the right person. But they really make it look easy.

But even if they did something as simple as saying: In the 1850 Census for that County we find 3 John Smith's - looking at the mother's name; siblings name - maybe trying to find probate or other documents to confirm they have the right John Smith.

I would also like to see them touch on the changing of Boundry Lines; people new to research don't realize that they need to know when a county or state was formed, and from what other counties or states in order to follow those ancestors records.

I would also like them to touch on things such as Bounty Lands and Migration Routes and Stopped Off Points. Why did the family end up in that State; could have it been because they were awarded bounty land due to Military Service. And how did they get there? They may have gone by foot, horseback or wagon train over the mountains or by a waterway. But when winter came, they would stay at a Stopping Off Point till the sprng thaws. But it was not unusal for some family members to not continue on; maybe a young person would marry and opt to stay behind, or maybe an older person was no longer able to continue. By knowing those migration routes - you might find some lost family members along the way.

Research is very involved; it can not be done totally on Ancestry.com and YOU CAN NOT accept other persons research as being accurate. You can use it as hint - but until you SEE THE DOCUMENTATION and INSURE this is the right person you could be adding a lot of WRONG information to your family history.

Ancestry and Who Do You Think You Are do not tell you this. I am sure it is just too dry and boring for a television show and frankly they don't care - they are getting people excited and ultimately selling them a service.

Sorry, I got off point and was venting a bit.

Enjoy the show but take it for what it is; entertainment and a sales pitch, not a course on "How to do Family Research"

Old 04-04-2010, 07:13 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
Enjoy the show but take it for what it is; entertainment and a sales pitch, not a course on "How to do Family Research"
Unless you're loaded and can hire the same pros to do it for you. Might not be a bad idea though for those of us of more modest means to hire one for a short engagement to get past a brick wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or