U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:39 AM

5,838 posts, read 8,292,537 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gone to any meetings lately? I need two more documents to be officially considered for membership and have gone to a few little get togethers. It might be that because I'm in Austin, that things are a little bit more relaxed, but the group that I visited with was varied and they were precious little old ladies and then younger historian like millenials. We met at a chain restaurant and ate some appetizers and drank some wine. I got to know their backgrounds and what they enjoyed. It was typical stuff of "I like being around people, preserving history, etc, etc," but I didn't hate the idea.

I don't know if I have the time to actively participate in their activities, but dropping in and knowing I was able to prove my line would be nice. FWIW, I didn't do a lot of work as my great-great grandmother was a member and I just need to find one death certificate and one birth certificate to finish up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 10:11 AM

9,767 posts, read 20,673,742 times
DAR site

For anyone like me that's wondering how to search last names of people that fought.

Genealogy then Ancestor Search

Old 02-03-2019, 08:35 PM

18,723 posts, read 17,871,499 times
To my amazement, descending from a bunch of plain dirt poor New England farmers, I've got several DAR candidates, a Mayflower Pilgrim, a few loyalists who fled to Canada, and I could join the First Settlers of Newbury (Puritans.)

I guess I'm just too lazy to do all the required paperwork, although the Mayflower Society sounds neat. But I've still got ancestors to find and hints to check out and mysteries to solve. I've got Azariah. Phineas. And in the UK, a Victorian scandal to solve--maybe a few of those in the UK. I like the thrill of the hunt, but not the paperwork.

Congrats to those who have the patience to compile the evidence. I think you're doing a good thing in preserving history and whatever other good deeds these organizations perform.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:05 AM

388 posts, read 394,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
I am applying for membership under one of three lines that I'm eligible for. One of the other lines is tangled up in a mess and the next person to apply under that ancestor will have to proof his service, which shouldn't be too hard, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from those of you who are DAR members to post your experience in applying for membership, and what you feel has been your largest benefit to this wonderful, exclusive organization.
I'm part of a new chapter I helped organize. I'm the registrar, and am in my third year in the DAR. Here's my take:

Process: it's as hard as the registrar makes it to be. I have a current member that when she was a prospective tell me of the horror story of a chapter back east that told her that if she didn't have a family member, it'd be hard to join. HORSE POOP!!!

In the course of about thirty minutes, if I have a prospective member's grandparents, I can sketch out a tree and tell the "PM" what their best, easiest (and therefore cheapest, genealogically) line to enter on. If the PM comes to me with a patriot in mind, I'll look but not guarantee; I've only had to tell two people that I can't use their preferred patriot, because I can't get connections between the generations. All this to say that if you came to me, unless you have immigrants across the board after the Revolution, I could likely get you in in terms of lineage.

As to proving service, people forget to make sure that the potential patriot has residence first. You have to pin the person down first, especially in an age where men were named William, John and Robert, and women Mary, Elizabeth, and Jane - but it happens with uncommon names when every eldest son is named something, and every eldest son of the other sons has the same name, and they didn't leave the area for generations. You have to make sure the John Smith you're putting in your lineage is YOUR John Smith. Residency before service!

Good luck on your journey, and welcome!

Old 02-04-2019, 06:24 AM

31,061 posts, read 31,964,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
To my amazement, descending from a bunch of plain dirt poor New England farmers, I've got several DAR candidates, a Mayflower Pilgrim, a few loyalists who fled to Canada, and I could join the First Settlers of Newbury (Puritans.)

I guess I'm just too lazy to do all the required paperwork, although the Mayflower Society sounds neat. But I've still got ancestors to find and hints to check out and mysteries to solve. I've got Azariah. Phineas. And in the UK, a Victorian scandal to solve--maybe a few of those in the UK. I like the thrill of the hunt, but not the paperwork.

Congrats to those who have the patience to compile the evidence. I think you're doing a good thing in preserving history and whatever other good deeds these organizations perform.

I assume ancestors who were loyalists that fled to Canada do not qualify one to join DAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
I'm part of a new chapter I helped organize. I'm the registrar, and am in my third year in the DAR. Here's my take:

Process: it's as hard as the registrar makes it to be. I have a current member that when she was a prospective tell me of the horror story of a chapter back east that told her that if she didn't have a family member, it'd be hard to join. HORSE POOP!!!

In the course of about thirty minutes, if I have a prospective member's grandparents, I can sketch out a tree and tell the "PM" what their best, easiest (and therefore cheapest, genealogically) line to enter on. If the PM comes to me with a patriot in mind, I'll look but not guarantee; I've only had to tell two people that I can't use their preferred patriot, because I can't get connections between the generations. All this to say that if you came to me, unless you have immigrants across the board after the Revolution, I could likely get you in in terms of lineage.

As to proving service, people forget to make sure that the potential patriot has residence first. You have to pin the person down first, especially in an age where men were named William, John and Robert, and women Mary, Elizabeth, and Jane - but it happens with uncommon names when every eldest son is named something, and every eldest son of the other sons has the same name, and they didn't leave the area for generations. You have to make sure the John Smith you're putting in your lineage is YOUR John Smith. Residency before service!

Good luck on your journey, and welcome!
When I looked into joining the DAR (20 years?), although I had genealogy booklet that my great-grandmother had given most of the information to the distant cousin who had done the research, I was told that I had to present a copy of every single document (birth & marriage certificates, etc.) to be considered to join. It was just too much of hassle and expense to deal with besides time consuming (as the internet was as extensive as it is now). So now I am simply not interested in looking into it again.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

For me, as a person who may want to have my own children in the future, I am partly working on this DAR thing so that I can then pass it on to children who then have scholarship opportunities. As someone who descends from WASPy lawyers and business owners who have an education, funding education can be really hard when you're like a 5 generation college student who has not a single drop of minority ancestry to look for scholarships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

When I looked into joining the DAR (20 years?), although I had genealogy booklet that my great-grandmother had given most of the information to the distant cousin who had done the research, I was told that I had to present a copy of every single document (birth & marriage certificates, etc.) to be considered to join.
I am interested for the reason stated above, but I had the same experience. I was able to find my great-grandmother's packet of documents but still I need to get all the documents right back to myself. It was a non-starter for the membership chair. I even kind of wanted to cry. It's just two documents that I need and I'll get to it one of these days.

Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM

18,723 posts, read 17,871,499 times
I, too, found that the hardest ones to get would be the most recent. Maybe for different reasons though. My maternal ancestors migrated straight up to the Canadian border and my gt grandmother doesn't have a birth certificate that I know of. Her town was in Canada then Vermont, then Canada, then Vermont, etc. Records in Canada say Born Vermont. Records in Vermont say Born Canada. I probably could have found something eventually but there are other trails that are more fun!

Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM

8,041 posts, read 3,192,108 times
I have a great grandmother, and a grandmother on each side of my family who were active leaders in DAR.

I have to ask, those current in this organization, what's the point? I mean that respectfully, and honestly.

Do you expect to have more in common with the other members than you would if you joined, say, a book club, or a hiking group, or a pickleball group? What is the point of joining an organization of members who are, MANY MANY generations back, the first to arrive in the US? I would suspect the eligible members of the DAR would be as diverse as women you would encounter in an airport. Or, a Walmart. Literally. Although eligible, women in the Walmart might be less likely to be interested in joining.

Old Today, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Do you expect to have more in common with the other members than you would if you joined, say, a book club, or a hiking group, or a pickleball group? What is the point of joining an organization of members who are, MANY MANY generations back, the first to arrive in the US? I would suspect the eligible members of the DAR would be as diverse as women you would encounter in an airport. Or, a Walmart. Literally. Although eligible, women in the Walmart might be less likely to be interested in joining.
Like I said before, for me, it is about creating that link for if/when I have kids I can get them some scholarship money. Also the ladies I met have the same interest in family history/genealogy and just have a wealth of knowledge. I'd kind of compare it to a Junior League too. It can be kind of snotty and uppitity, but sometimes you need those people to network with. As someone younger and someone who is relatively new (three years) to another city, many of the ladies I met are live long residents of Austin and are well connected within their communities (and surprisingly, in the education field which is my field). So, if I make those connections then who knows where that could lead. Could this happen in any of those groups you suggested? Sure.

Old Today, 10:29 AM

22,125 posts, read 18,661,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Don't feel too bad. I'm sure that I would have the door slammed on my fingers.

My folks fought in Loyalist militias, and I belong to the UEL, which might loosely be considered a Canadian equivalent of the D/SAR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
We have family who stayed and fought. Loyalist who went to Canada and those who stayed also.
My ancestors were across the board immigrants so no chance of being a member for me.

I have, however, married some interesting guys (3) with background in this country.

Both my daughter and her father are direct descendants of Pilgrims. Neither are interested in the Mayflower Society. They are more proud of their Blackfoot heritage from Canada.

Hubby #2's mother was a princess of the Wompanog tribe.

Hubby #3's family were Loyalists and received the land that became Randolph, Massachusetts. They never went to Canada. My in-laws are still in Randolph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy