U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,788 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating from Louisiana to Texas, Fort Worth area. My husband still works for a company in this area, but he has been in fort worth area for couple months on the job. He is currently staying at a extended stay hotel, so we do have a place to park ourselves for now while looking for apartments etc. I have an interview this week for a job there but currently am still working here. If i get this job, I plan to give my current boss a 2 week notice for sure. I am wondering how much time is it appropriate to ask the new employer to give me to get moved over there and things finalized here. We have to sell our current home, however we do plan to carry the note after we move until it sells. The main thing with our current house is getting it ready to sell, as we need to do a little work. We plan to rent a townhouse or something in fort worth for a least 6 months to get a feel of the place before buying a home there. I don't think the new job will cover relocatioin cost, as the add did ask for locals. Maybe they are desperate and thats why they called me!! I am also wondering if it would be appropriate to ask for relocation cost from them, as like i said, the add asked for locals. The cost really isn't an issue and certainly not my main concern, it is the time it takes to actually get it all done. We have a kid and animals to deal with, stuff to pack, etc. It will be hard for me to get all that stuff done while working during the 2 weeks notice to my current job. Would it be appropriate to ask for 4 weeks until I could start working with them? I am sure it really just depends on the company, situation, etc, but was curious as to what others thought or have done.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 04:29 AM

9,866 posts, read 20,148,449 times
You could discuss it with your future employers. What you said sounds reasonable and well-thought out. Unless you're afraid that you'll lose the job, now would be a good time to start good communication with your new boss.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:20 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,904,846 times
ellie said it well, communicate your thoughts; it's the only way to know what is or isn't going to fly.

And good luck!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:53 AM

3,258 posts, read 8,039,122 times
I think 4 weeks in definitely reasonable, of course like you said it depends on their needs. I am sure they're expecting someone to give at least two weeks to their current employer, however for the right person most companies will wait longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues