Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:34 PM

4 posts, read 23,903 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move from West Coast (SFO Area) to East Coast (NC - Charlotte). Need advice on moving companies (upack/we move). I have got good quote from Movex and Broadway Express for household goods and 2 cars.
Has anyone used either one of the moving companies recently and how reliable are they.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:15 PM

604 posts, read 856,506 times
I used ABF/Upack moving from Denver to Miami a few years ago. They charge by the linear foot of trailer space so obviously it's to your advantage to be an efficient packer. They quote you a price (you can go online and use their estimator) that includes dropping the trailer off, picking it up after you load, set your bulkhead and lock it, and delivering it at the other end on the appointed day. You have to supply all packing materials and they don't help load or unload. I highly recommend them if you don't mind a little sweat equity, and I will use them again when I leave Miami in a couple years.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:30 PM

34 posts, read 75,727 times
Schro, how much did ABF cost you, if you don't mind my asking? I have been wondering how pricey (and risky - I've heard of things getting severely nicked or even stolen by some moving companies, and b/c of certain laws, there's not a whole lot you can do about it) it would be moving a 4 bdrm, 2 1/2 ba house from Ohio to Denver. I've researched and came upon some info that actually gave me a good feeling about ABF and their prices as well as practices/reliability. We're still trying to decide whether to fly out with the children and have the car shipped or drive... any thoughts/tips?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:20 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,964 times
Movex Load Consolidators is a household goods and property move broker Authority History . As such, they have NO equipment or drivers licensed or approved by the FMCSA. They simply act as middleman by arranging a variety of moving options with low cost labor services, and common, contract, and general freight carriers, and smaller independent full service moving companies.

Griffith Trucking d/b/a Broadway Express Company Detail is a much smaller household goods, common and contract carrier that provides a variety of DIY niche moving services. The customer assumes all responsibility for damage and claims if they choose a low cost DIY option.

ABF Freight System, INc. Authority History is a regular route common carrier that provides a variety of transportation options for do-it-yourselfers using their fleet of high-profile spring-ride freight trailers and uPack portable storage containers. Generally they're not responsible for any damage claims unless covered under the terms of their bill of lading. As Schrodinger's Kittens indicated, the customer is responsible for all labor, material, equipment, claims, security and containment costs.

Since lower cost general freight carriers do not have the same compliance obligations or claim responsibility as licensed household goods carriers under the federal Consumer Protections Regulations, the customer assumes most of the burden for the success or failure of their move.

Suggest anyone considering a relocation to read the information in Protect Your Move presented by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Confirm your arrangements as early as possible. Due to the increased number of moves this summer, transportation service providers and equipment rental companies are experiencing an inordinate number of service problems and delays because of driver and equipment shortages.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM

Shrodinger's Kitten & RikkiTikki thanks a lot for the recommendation. I called ABF/upack they said they can't take my cars in the same trailer as the goods. Any recommedation on the auto movers? Based on RikiTikki's very informative post, I am leaning towards using Broadway Express as I can get the entire 53' for me and get all my stuff (Household goods & 2 cars) moved at the same time. Do I need to buy any additional insurance to protect my cars and household goods from any damages? If yes, any names. Pls share your toughts on it.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:46 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,964 times
Quote:
Do I need to buy any additional insurance to protect my cars and household goods from any damages?
That depends on what type of move you have.

If you're hiring Broadway Express as a general freight carrier to transport the household goods and vehicle you load into their equipment, you're responsible for any damage that results from loading and unloading. Not many insurance companies will insure a customer against damaged created by themselves. BE's motor carrier insurance would cover claims that result from accidents or driver negligence.

If you hiring BE as a full service household goods mover, they must, by law, offer you two types valuation protection - basic and full - same as required of all licensed household goods carriers.
Protect Your Move -Understanding Valuation and Insurance Options - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Old 07-15-2010, 08:28 PM

604 posts, read 856,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinColorado View Post
Schro, how much did ABF cost you, if you don't mind my asking? I have been wondering how pricey (and risky - I've heard of things getting severely nicked or even stolen by some moving companies, and b/c of certain laws, there's not a whole lot you can do about it) it would be moving a 4 bdrm, 2 1/2 ba house from Ohio to Denver. I've researched and came upon some info that actually gave me a good feeling about ABF and their prices as well as practices/reliability. We're still trying to decide whether to fly out with the children and have the car shipped or drive... any thoughts/tips?
Lost,

As I recall I paid about $1800 for eight linear feet in the truck from Denver to Miami. 8 LF is not much; I'm a minimalist. But ABF has a calculator on their website that lets you figure how many LF you will need and if you go over it's not like you're taking someone else's space. They just have to charge you, of course.

One of the good things about ABF is that when you are finished packing you secure a solid wooden bulkhead across the trailer to keep your stuff in place and lock it with *your* padlock--only you have the key, the driver does not. He never touches, moves, or even SEES your things until you unload them at your destination. How well your stuff survives depends on how good you are at packing and securing it.

As for fly or drive I don't have any suggestions because I don't have kids. I drove my own car with my cats and the things that were prohibited in or too fragile for the moving van. But if you have the time you could make it a fun little vacation. Look for national parks/monuments along the way or go to Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions to find funny stuff on your route.

Good luck on your move, hope this helps!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
We have used Broadway Express, working directly through them and not through Movex. I'd use them again (although hope to never, ever have to deal with a long-distance move again, or at least not for many years to come!!). It was a lot cheaper than using a standard moving company, or at least it was for us. I like that the same driver is there the entire time, from pick up to drop off. (you can usually hire them to help; our driver supervised our moving help, too, and made sure that things were loaded safely). We did a lot of research in advance, and Broadway Express has very, very good reviews. (ABF too, I believe; we chose BE in part because they do provide packing materials like blankets, etc.) We actually had the least amount of damage (just a couple of squashed boxes, but that was my own fault because I didn't pack them full enough) with BE than we did with any of the moving companies we've ever used in the past. It was a bit of a hassle having to arrange moving help ourself, but it was worth it for the many other benefits of BE. I'd definitely hire the driver to help, though, if you go that route (I think they normally charge around $25/hr, cash, and you work that out directly with them); they know what they're doing and will help you to get the stuff loaded in the most efficient, safest way possible. We didn't move a car, so can't comment on that.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:27 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
I vote for ABF also cause they give you a legit quote online and they don't change it on you once they have yr stuff hostage. As long as where you live can accommodate one of their trailers cause they drop it off, you load it and then call them to come pick it up.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:09 PM

Thanks RikkiTikki and uptown_urbanist. We have finalized Broadway Express. Spoke to my Auto-Insurance company and they will cover the cars. Hoping that the move goes smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues