U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-31-2006, 03:01 PM

13 posts, read 110,184 times

Advertisements

Budget by far.. price, equipment, and customer service..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 13,958 times
Default u-haul bad buisness

Whatever you do don't go through u-haul. They are rude, they don't care about you, they promiss you a rental and then they don't have any so you get screwed, because they don't care. We reserved a trailer and they garenteed us we would have one on that day and they didn't. We reserved it for the simple reason that we had to be out of our place the next day, we told them we had kids and only a limited amount of money. They didn't care the maneger hung up on us. So now what. don't be a victim.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:24 PM

279 posts, read 782,047 times
Never use U-Haul-- we used them to move last year and the clutch blew on the tuck 8 miles into the move.. They kept my husband waiting 5 hours for a mechanic because he wasnt allowed to leave the truck unattended--and we had to offload everything into pick up trucks.. They didnt even offer to send us another truck and 8 days later we got charged $250.00 for the clutch replacement because they said we blew it and were responsible.

I have heard that they send trucks out that are bad, and this is how they get them repaired. NOT saying its True, just what I have heard...... We used

Ryder last move LOVED THEM and Ryders trucks have lift gates-- and any man out there will opt for a liftgate over a ramp anyday.

Budget--also great trucks....comfy and reliable.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:59 PM

1,395 posts, read 3,182,765 times
Default Let me know, how you turn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalace View Post
Have you checked out u-pack? We were going to use Penske, but decided to use ABF/U-pack to make the move a little easier. They seem to have a good reputation (at least what I've read).

Hopefully, I'll still have a good opinion of them after we finish our move at the end of this month!
My daughter and I will be moving as soon as she is done with school for the year so if U-Pack is good let me know, as we have plenty to move. Thanks, Yorkie

Old 03-30-2007, 04:38 AM

2,832 posts, read 4,724,141 times
I've had good and bad experiences with U-Haul. The good--sometimes you can get a nice price. The bad--their reservations don't seem to mean anything. Maybe a truck will be available for you, maybe not.

I don't know how you can manage a business that way. I suppose that that's what can happen with a lack of price-comparable competition. If U-Haul had any real competition they'd get blown out of the water quickly.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:06 AM

6,351 posts, read 13,386,386 times
I. too, have had bad experiences with U-Haul; they rent junk equipment. They can be rude (the manager at one of their storage facilities in Boise, ID made me mad enough to consider getting violent across the counter... ) On the other hand, I had really good experiences with the breakdown folks they sent out... (Maybe they shoiuld spend more money on maintenance so they don't need such good breakdown service... ) Went with Penske on our last move; was VERY pleased!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 PM

38 posts, read 72,679 times
Any other contributions to this topic?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:42 PM

83 posts, read 293,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpankulu View Post
Any other contributions to this topic?
I used U-Pack for a 500 miles move a few months back...it was absolutely GREAT.

I packed my stuff in a U-Haul, took it to their distribution facility and loaded it into a pod on a Friday. Moved to my new destination via my car on a Saturday. Stuff arrived at U-Pack distribution facility in my new city that Monday, I picked it up on Tuesday. Everything arrived in tact.

You can have them drop a pod off at your place, you load it, they pick it up and drop it at your new place, but I opted for the other method to save some $$$$ (at the expense of time)

ABF/U-Pack staff were professional and in contact throughout the move. I'd DEFINITELY use them again and highly recommend them. Saved me from having to drive a U-Haul 500+ miles with gas @ $4/gallon

Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 PM

7,953 posts, read 7,100,278 times
I have used both. The Budget truck looked nice and was newer... and broke down on the road which ultimately ended with me suing Budget and using U-haul. The U-hauls often look like hell but they seem to always work.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:21 PM

983 posts, read 3,050,916 times
I had a bad experience with U haul in 2004. Drove my SUV with a u haul trailer from GA to CA. When we reached TX and night had fallen upon us, my veh lights all went out. We made it to the next exit and had to sleep at a truck stop until morning to find the nearest U haul. Well seems the mom and pop U haul authorized guy left some wires hanging and they were touching the ground and thats what blew my lights out. The location we found was very helpful but he had a heck of a time getting the right fuse (i guess that's what it was). So we were there sev hours b4 getting back on the road. I got compensated with $40 in U haul coupons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues