U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 11:36 PM

4 posts, read 15,068 times

Advertisements

I'm in a one-bedroom apartment, considering other options in the same city. I want to take into account all of the factors that I can when evaluating options, including the amount of time and expense associated with the physical moving process. I've never really paid much attention to how long it takes me to perform a move; does anybody have any good recollections? I'm talking packing boxes, loading a truck, unloading and unpacking. We can probably come close to filling a 16ft truck. Travel time will be negligible. I was thinking 24 hours of effort each for two adults, but really I'm just making up that number.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 PM

I guess in reality the actual moving part needs at least three people, but still; how long would you say a move of this nature would take, at a minimum?

Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,797,491 times
Are you trying to get a time estimate regarding hiring moving folks?
Are you packing and unpacking or hiring out?

It's hard to estimate packing and unpacking if we don't know what you have. 1-BR apt is a little ambiguous; some people have large book collections, art & antique collections, musical instruments, kids with alot of toys, etc. -- all things that take extra time to pack.

Most people who do their own packing do it gradually with a deadline in sight. Clean out the closets, get the boxes, etc. And so they base a moving estimate on loading and unloading a truck and travel time.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 AM

All good questions/points, SJS. We're probably going to all of the packing ourselves, and haven't decided on the moving part. The first step is just trying to make an estimate of the magnitude of the project.
Right now we're in a 475 sq.ft. apartment, fitting comfortably with some clothes in storage. In terms of what kinds of possessions we have, it's pretty simple stuff. Queen bed, couple dressers, couple desks, couple bookshelves, small entertainment center, small dining table, butcher block. Lots of clothes, enough to fit the dressers and a couple of closets, books to fill the shelves. Nice dishes and silverware to serve 6, plus some convenience stuff. Decent amount of cooking supplies.
The things that would need special care are the dishes and three large framed paintings.
I know that this is still quite ambiguous and speculative, but I'd just like to hear some alternative numbers (to my 48 person-hour guesstimate), and hear what you figure it might take to move if done efficiently. Since this isn't a move of necessity, unlike all of my previous ones, we would take this into account when deciding whether it makes sense to do this now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues