U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,018,762 times

Advertisements

We've got plenty time - probably close to 2 years. But after the move from Florida to Tennessee was such a nightmare, I'd like to make sure we do this as efficiently as we can. Luckily this time it's just hubby and I - possibly our daughter if I can talk her into going too - instead of 5 teens and 2 vehicles and a moving truck. And a teen driving that likes to sleep and drive. Like I said, nightmare. 14 hour trip took 3 days.

So, this time we're going from Tennessee to extreme northern coastal Maine. We're building our house up there and don't plan on taking any furniture. I'd rather sell the mess we have and start with new anyway. Most likely we're either looking at a moving van with the junk we've collected or pulling a trailer behind the SUV. Any suggestions on which is easier?

Also, any packing advice? I'd read ages ago that you pack the last things you'll need first so they're in the very back of the van and the stuff you'll need right away should be packed last so you can unpack it first. Any other helpful hints?

And we're traveling with (barring any tragedy between now and then) 6 chihuahuas, a pitbull and 2 cats. Any suggestions on traveling with pets?

According to the map the trip should take exactly 24 hours. My husband is disabled (broken back and neck) so we can't drive too many hours straight. Thinking we can do 4 hours in the morning then stop for an hour or two at lunch time and then 4 or 5 more hours at night. At that pace it'll take at least 3 days, probably 4. Any suggestions on breaking up the trip like that?

And of course any other helpful hints anyone has would be very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 05:25 AM

13,821 posts, read 18,779,327 times
Get a hotel for some of the trip because you will be dead tired . Motel 6 allows pets and we have never had to pay extra $ for our pets to stay over night somewhere of course my dogs are very quiet too . So as long as the dogs are not barkers you should be fine in the hotels . I hope your trip is an easy one . Good luck to you and I hope your relocation is everything you want it to be .

Old 08-21-2010, 10:59 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,697,556 times
Default Think about the furniture

Perhaps you are very well-off and can afford a whole house full of furniture. But, are there furniture stores near your new location?...Stores with furniture that you would like?

That could be costly...I would take a look at this carefully.

Find out about the furniture stores there, and get an idea of their pricing (their style and quality). Then make a good list of what you would need in your new house...A complete list, with potential costs.

I would suggest taking a truck with some of your furniture....

As for the 24 hour trip...Look at the areas that you will be going through...Any major cities?...You can expect heavy traffic then. Add some hours for this...I do not know your route...But if it includes Interstate 95 going throuh Connecticut, expect heavy traffic.

And, if it goes through New Jersey, over the George Washington Bridge...Good Luck...You'll be going through one of the worse road sections in the USA (especially with a truck or trailer..I'm talking about the section in the Bronx (NYC) between the GWB and Wstchester County NY....Make sure that you have a full tank of gas, there are no rest stops nor even safe sections to pull over on the side of the road...Drive right through it if you can (not during rush hours though (that are from 7 AM to about 11 PM each day...that's right, all day...)

If possible, set a route that takes you north to Interstate 84, and go accross the Newburg Bridge...It may be safer for you...(perhaps longer, but safer...).

Old 08-22-2010, 04:23 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

And we're traveling with (barring any tragedy between now and then) 6 chihuahuas, a pitbull and 2 cats. Any suggestions on traveling with pets?

According to the map the trip should take exactly 24 hours. My husband is disabled (broken back and neck) so we can't drive too many hours straight. Thinking we can do 4 hours in the morning then stop for an hour or two at lunch time and then 4 or 5 more hours at night. At that pace it'll take at least 3 days, probably 4. Any suggestions on breaking up the trip like that?

Its 1400+ miles from Nashville to Bar Harbour, i'd budget 3 days minimum to do the trip, problem going to be all those critters, if you are staying in hotel/motels you will find many that dont allow pets in the rooms.
By the way where are you going to put 9 animal carriers?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:09 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,679,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
We've got plenty time - probably close to 2 years. But after the move from Florida to Tennessee was such a nightmare, I'd like to make sure we do this as efficiently as we can. Luckily this time it's just hubby and I - possibly our daughter if I can talk her into going too - instead of 5 teens and 2 vehicles and a moving truck. And a teen driving that likes to sleep and drive. Like I said, nightmare. 14 hour trip took 3 days.

So, this time we're going from Tennessee to extreme northern coastal Maine. We're building our house up there and don't plan on taking any furniture. I'd rather sell the mess we have and start with new anyway. Most likely we're either looking at a moving van with the junk we've collected or pulling a trailer behind the SUV. Any suggestions on which is easier?

Also, any packing advice? I'd read ages ago that you pack the last things you'll need first so they're in the very back of the van and the stuff you'll need right away should be packed last so you can unpack it first. Any other helpful hints?

Hey Mrs! DH & I have moved all over the country (and beyond ) with pets in tow. I have a few suggestions for you that may make it easier for all involved.

With your husband's physical condition, I don't suggest that you try and u-haul it. The trucks have suspensions built for large loads, not comfort. DH & I don't have bad backs but our back always ache after using a rental truck for a long haul move. Have you looked at using ABF u-pack? Its like PODS but much more reliable. You pack the container at your old location and give them the date you need it at the new (usually its a minimum of 5 days for the distance you are going). There are companies you can hire to do the packing & unpacking. Other than a full service mover, its the way I'd suggest.

I don't know what type of vehicle you drive but we can't live without our roof top carrier & bumper shelf for our van. It frees up the whole interior of the vehicle for people & animals when we travel.

Finally, if you decide to go with a moving company, make sure to check them out at www.movingscam.com before you give them any money or sign a contract. There are a lot of scam companies out there and this website has a master list that can help weed them out.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Get a hotel for some of the trip because you will be dead tired . Motel 6 allows pets and we have never had to pay extra $ for our pets to stay over night somewhere of course my dogs are very quiet too . So as long as the dogs are not barkers you should be fine in the hotels . I hope your trip is an easy one . Good luck to you and I hope your relocation is everything you want it to be .
They're pretty good unless someone is at the door. I think we'll be ok. There is one hotel in the chain I work for that allows pets. A bit more expensive than the others, but if I stay working for my hotel until the day we leave I can still get my employee discount there. Might be worth it. If not we'll just go with a cheapie Motel 6. And thank you! I'm so excited. Waiting a year or two to move is going to KILL me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Perhaps you are very well-off and can afford a whole house full of furniture. But, are there furniture stores near your new location?...Stores with furniture that you would like?

That could be costly...I would take a look at this carefully.

Find out about the furniture stores there, and get an idea of their pricing (their style and quality). Then make a good list of what you would need in your new house...A complete list, with potential costs.

I would suggest taking a truck with some of your furniture....

As for the 24 hour trip...Look at the areas that you will be going through...Any major cities?...You can expect heavy traffic then. Add some hours for this...I do not know your route...But if it includes Interstate 95 going throuh Connecticut, expect heavy traffic.

And, if it goes through New Jersey, over the George Washington Bridge...Good Luck...You'll be going through one of the worse road sections in the USA (especially with a truck or trailer..I'm talking about the section in the Bronx (NYC) between the GWB and Wstchester County NY....Make sure that you have a full tank of gas, there are no rest stops nor even safe sections to pull over on the side of the road...Drive right through it if you can (not during rush hours though (that are from 7 AM to about 11 PM each day...that's right, all day...)

If possible, set a route that takes you north to Interstate 84, and go accross the Newburg Bridge...It may be safer for you...(perhaps longer, but safer...).
We're planning on putting aside money from the sale of our house in TN to buy furniture. Since we're just building a very small house in ME the furniture needs won't be too big. And I don't buy expensive furniture anyway. Badcock or whatever works for me.

The added bonus is hubby's not able to move furniture anyway with his problems, so buying it and having it delivered and set up saves my back in the long run. Aside from making the move easier too, it just seemed like the way to go.

I've been looking at the Badcock site and we can buy a new living room set, dining table, and 2 bedroom sets for a pretty reasonable amount. Perhaps not the nicest stuff and we may upgrade later on, but it'll at least get us in and settled. I"m hoping I can buy it ahead of time so it's set up when we get there. Maybe I'll fly up the week before to get the house ready for us.

The route takes us over 40 to 81N to 78E to 95N. Looks like we'll hit 91 in CT to 84 to 90 to 95 in Maine.

We've driven 81 a lot all the way up through PA with no issues so I don't think that'll be a problem. So I guess it'll get ugly when we hit 78? So you think if we take 287 north from 78 to 87 and then over to 84 it would be better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its 1400+ miles from Nashville to Bar Harbour, i'd budget 3 days minimum to do the trip, problem going to be all those critters, if you are staying in hotel/motels you will find many that dont allow pets in the rooms.
By the way where are you going to put 9 animal carriers?
No carriers. We've got a gate that sections off the back of the SUV so they can just hang out back there on their beds. And the hotel deal, we'll stay at pet friendly hotels. I know the one I work at has theirs set up like apartments so they won't even know how many we have. And being an employee I doubt they'd pay much attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Hey Mrs! DH & I have moved all over the country (and beyond ) with pets in tow. I have a few suggestions for you that may make it easier for all involved.

With your husband's physical condition, I don't suggest that you try and u-haul it. The trucks have suspensions built for large loads, not comfort. DH & I don't have bad backs but our back always ache after using a rental truck for a long haul move. Have you looked at using ABF u-pack? Its like PODS but much more reliable. You pack the container at your old location and give them the date you need it at the new (usually its a minimum of 5 days for the distance you are going). There are companies you can hire to do the packing & unpacking. Other than a full service mover, its the way I'd suggest.

I don't know what type of vehicle you drive but we can't live without our roof top carrier & bumper shelf for our van. It frees up the whole interior of the vehicle for people & animals when we travel.

Finally, if you decide to go with a moving company, make sure to check them out at www.movingscam.com before you give them any money or sign a contract. There are a lot of scam companies out there and this website has a master list that can help weed them out.
We were talking about that last night!!! I saw a commercial for PODS and a light went off!! I mentioned it to hubby. Since we don't plan on taking any furniture, it'll just be extra clothing, bedding, kitchen and bathroom stuff, knick knacks, etc. Instead of the added cost of renting a moving van and paying gas for that as well as our vehicle, we can save him the pain of driving one and just send the stuff on ahead of us in a POD or something like that. The move for us would go quicker too as we could drive a bit faster. 10 MPH may not make a big difference just going across town but over 1400 miles it should definitely help! And I'm sure they will be moving faster than we will, having to stop for doggie potty breaks and such. I love the POD idea. Leaning that way heavily!

Great minds think alike!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:01 AM

3,614 posts, read 2,987,256 times
I was going to mention PODS as well. Since you will pack the container yourself you can organize by room as much as possible as well.

The biggest help will be to label the boxes very well-put at least 5-8 things that are in each box and try not to pack boxes with things from more than one room. Save your towels and bedding to fill out any space needed so the boxes are stuff from one room. Put on the outside which towels/bedding you use.

About a week before your move take something from your daily routine and put it in a box-your toothbrush, toothpaste, shower stuff, coffee mug/maker, plastic dishes, etc. or make a list of everything you use in a day so you have all of that ready to go at the new house.

I have to post more later....

Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I was going to mention PODS as well. Since you will pack the container yourself you can organize by room as much as possible as well.

The biggest help will be to label the boxes very well-put at least 5-8 things that are in each box and try not to pack boxes with things from more than one room. Save your towels and bedding to fill out any space needed so the boxes are stuff from one room. Put on the outside which towels/bedding you use.

About a week before your move take something from your daily routine and put it in a box-your toothbrush, toothpaste, shower stuff, coffee mug/maker, plastic dishes, etc. or make a list of everything you use in a day so you have all of that ready to go at the new house.

I have to post more later....
Thanks!

I think we did pretty well on our move from FL to TN as far as packing. It was the drive that was a nightmare. And when we got her all we wanted was sleep but the beds were packed and no one wanted to unload them. So I ran to Wally's and bought a bunch of air mattresses and sheets. Height of laziness!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,412,142 times
Good luck with the move. On my first long-distance move, I had two small kids and two cats. The kids travel well, so that meant I only had to worry about the cats! I gave them (the cats!) some meds to make them sleepy and put them in a carrier. No worries; they were quiet and in good shape when we got there. (I think it was a two-day trip.)

I would suggest talking to your vet to see if medicating any of yours is advisable. O, and make sure none of them will jump out and run away if their space is open to the outside when you stop. You might need to cage or tether them. Are they chipped?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:32 AM

7,410 posts, read 12,940,514 times
You're talking about PODS instead of a moving company, but think of it this way. With PODS you have to load and unload. With the moving crew, they load you up and unload. With your husband out of commission for the duration don't you think it would be better in the long run, even at the extra cost, to have the man power to move it and put it where you want it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues