U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:16 PM

122 posts, read 425,408 times

Advertisements

Quote, "How to pack a moving truck."

Sorry, have to say this.

"It's a lot easier to pack it when it's "not moving." You should park it first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 07:05 PM

12,371 posts, read 31,261,979 times
Good call Country!!

Old 07-10-2008, 04:41 AM

51 posts, read 219,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Maybe a Goodwill or a Salvation Army?

We are making move too-interesting, informative thread! Thanks!

I am thinking about a POD or ABF U pack. Although it is not extremely cheap, we won't have to drive it so it beats putting gas in two vehicles and worrying about them.

Experience with this anyone? I have read many threads on the PODs, but I am always interested in more. The Penske was about $1800. then with gas about another $2,000. The POD is about $2,850. Seems like a no brainer to me. That is for an 8 footer. But I measured my sofa and it is 8 feet so I think I need a 10.
Well, I looked into the pods, does seem more reasonable, unfortunately for myself not an option as they said I would have to pack the stuff into a truck haul it to them then unpack into the pods as they do not deliver to where I live. So, this just did not make since. I am renting a 26 ft penske having professional movers pack it and will drive it, will have to also drive my van well husband drives truck as we have a dog, cat and two teens.
Good luck with your move and thanks, did not think of thrift shops.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 AM

8,710 posts, read 10,369,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal27 View Post
Quote, "How to pack a moving truck."

Sorry, have to say this.

"It's a lot easier to pack it when it's "not moving." You should park it first.

Good one!!

Old 07-12-2008, 08:39 PM

206 posts, read 1,040,776 times
We just moved from Florida to Kentucky in a 26ft Penske truck... and it was packed solid. We packed it ourselves. We had stuff in a storage unit and stuff at the house. We packed all the storage unit stuff first and then started on the house. We used many of the suggestions here, packing smaller boxes inside bookcases, turning smaller tables upside down and removed the legs from the dining table. We had several cheap moving blankets that we bought at a closeout store and we also used some old blankets and quilts. I don't think there was an empty inch on that truck !!!
We had most everything in boxes that could be boxed. We used the plastic wrap, bought it at the storage unit and bubble wrap, Giant Roll from Staples. The only breakage we had was when hubby was unloading some cabinets we used for office desk, he ran off the ramp and it busted up on the ground... it was his desk not mine

You might also look into getting a set of tie down straps, those big yellow ones like on the big rigs. We have several of those and they really helped. I think we got them at Sam's Club, but you can probably find them at any tool or auto place.

If you have pets, don't forget to put their food on last as well and of course the dolly or other moving equipment you might need.

The Penske truck was about 1600 and I think we ran about 500 in diesel. We were not towing anything, I was driving the pickup with 4 dogs while hubby had the 3.yr old grandbaby and the cat in the Penske. It was a very long ride, left Florida around 2 AM and got to Kentucky at 7 PM. Glad I'm not gonna do that again. Unfortunately hubby has to. We still have the house in Florida on the market and he is there with still MORE STUFF... but it's only about a 16ft truck this time !!!!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,929,315 times
Last time I moved, I bought the plastic boxes with lids at Target, and got them all the same size and shape. They were about $4, but I sold them at the other end of the move for $2.50, so it ended up costing me $1.50 a box to use them. I think U-haul was charging $3 a box for cardboard, so I figured I came out ahead by spending a little more up front. I didn't have time to hunt around the grocery stores for free boxes, so that wasn't an option.

Other than being cheaper in the long run, they were waterproof, mouseproof, didn't break, were easy to carry with handles, and I didn't have to worry about crushing stuff by stacking them too high.

I labeled them with duct tape and a marker.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 AM

398 posts, read 716,116 times
Might want to put your beds near the back of the truck. Every time we move, all we want is to find our bed and get some rest. It is no fun having to unpack half of the truck just to get a good nights sleep in your new home. Everyones suggestions about what to have handy if you need it , is great advice.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:25 AM

177 posts, read 349,663 times
This thread is really interesting and useful to me, we are fortunate to have a great friend who is a long haul trucker and is going to drop a trailer off for a week so we can load it up ourselves and he will drive it from NY to our new home in NC. I was freaking a little about how to pack it but there are lots of great tips in this thread, so I'm a little more confident now. I just hope the trailer is not way to big for our household belongings, so we have better use the techniques of spreading stuff across the floor of the trailer.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:19 PM

766 posts, read 1,151,246 times
I realize this thread is about loading a truck, but might I offer a suggestion on how to REDUCE the number of boxes necessary.... for example

I have oodles of cases of Mason Canning Jars. Yes, I'm an avid gardener. I also have my fair share of knick knacks. Using newspaper, wrap a tiny knick knack and stuff it inside of a Mason Canning Jar. Then wrap the Mason Jar and stick that inside of a Kitchen Canister. The kitchen canister managed to fit inside of my Slow Cooker Crock Pot.

This was a slow and major pain to accomplish. Set up several folding tables as designated packing tables. Place the smallest of items on 1 table, medium items on 2nd table, etc.

How many flower vases do you have? How about those kitchen pitchers for water/juice? Start gathering all the larger items that you can fit smaller items into.

Reducing the number of boxes necessary reduces the size truck necessary.

*** The sleeping bags, bedding and towels were handy for protecting the lamps.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 PM

380 posts, read 709,433 times
Our family has used the ABF trailers twice now for cross-country moves. They will give you an estimate (using size of current home, # of bedrooms, distance to new home, etc.) which will also include a per foot +/- price. If you use the cubic feet in the estimate, your estimate becomes the final price. If you pack everything better than expected (or sell some stuff), and are at least 1 foot shorter, your final price will be the estimated price minus the per foot price. If you require additional space, you will pay the estimate plus the per foot price for every foot beyond the estimate.

I have always liked to be prepared for the big move. I have only bought one special box from U-Haul for glasses; all the rest were picked up at the grocery stores. My husband loved the fact that our boxes were either egg boxes or apple boxes -- only 2 sizes made for much easier stacking.

When packing the trailer, it works best to put the heaviest stuff in first -- freezer, washer, dryer, heavy dressers, etc. If a piece of furniture or appliance had a cavity (especially the washer and dryer, just make sure the washer is completely dry!), I filled it with other items (like coats, boots, sheets, towels, etc.). If a bookshelf had removable shelves, the inside was filled with boxes once it was in place.

Label, label, label! I came up with a code for each room and then wrote a basic list of contents (I have heard some actually print this off and tape to the outside of the box though I never went this far). This sure made it easy to figure out which boxes needed to be opened first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or