U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 PM

107 posts, read 497,900 times

Advertisements

Ok were making the big move from florida to Austin. were renting a 26 foot moving truck towing a car. now here is the tricky part we havent moved in like 10 years and never with two kids and so much stuff! what is the best way to pack a truck like this basically we have mostly boxes, were also brining a large couch, a desk, a king bed and matteress, a dreser and the rest are mostly boxes. any suggestions? websites? how can we pack the truck so its safe and everything stays put for the long haul?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 06:26 PM

1,379 posts, read 4,559,041 times
Honestly...do what we did...have a professional mover pack it. We had a 26' Penske and had to get an additional trailer because all our stuff wouldn't fit and the cost to dumping and rebuying ratio was more than the trailer. Our truck was CRAMMED full!!

We ended up coming from Northern CA to Fort Worth and are in the process of building so all our stuff is now in storage. I had a professional mover unpack the truck and repack our storage. I had a little damage on one of my tables, but it was something that I should have been looking out for.

It was very reasonable and took a lot of stress out of the equation of moving, directions, dealing with a 3 yr old etc.

Hope it helps and have a safe trip!!

Old 06-26-2007, 06:31 PM

407 posts, read 1,213,126 times
I always try to spread the heaviest boxes evenly so the weight is spread out. I also lay the box springs down with the mattress on top so I can put the fragile boxes, tv's etc on top of the mattress to absorb some of the shock. I load the rest of the boxes first because you can put them together like a puzzle so nothing shifts. I also rent the blankets like from uhaul so I can wrap the furniture to avoid scratches. I load the furniture last and put light boxes or odds and ends on top. Most trucks have tie off points on the walls so I use rope or twine to tie off anything that might shift. I think the most important thing is to have everything packed tight and at the same height so nothing shifts or falls. The first time I moved years ago I had empty space at the back of the truck so I just left it empty. Really dumb move! Boxes were all dumped into the empty spot and stuff got broken. I also always pack candles, wine, etc into the vehicle I am pulling because it is less likely to get broken there and you can leave the windows cracked so it doesn't get too hot inside. (I have moved in the South in the summer a lot)
If you are going to spend the night somewhere along the way or sleep before you unload I would put all heat sensitive items in the towing car so you can take them into the hotel with you or the house when you get to Austin. I also pack two seperate boxes with two of everything (or four in your case) towels, plates, silverware, clothes, soap, cleaning supplies, shower curtain, snacks, dvd's for the kids in case cable isn't ready, telephone, and coffee maker etc, anything I will need the first day or two so I don't wind up having to root through boxes at 2:00 am so I can shower and get some rest. I usually take the first two days at a new place to do things like paper the kitchen cabinets and CLEAN the house like crazy so if I pack a couple of "necessity" boxes I don't have to dig through boxes as much. I can't really think of anything else but if you have questions....

Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 PM

11,970 posts, read 10,584,696 times
Important Note:
Heavy stuff to the front.
Keep the necessity boxes handy.
Have a safe move.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 PM

304 posts, read 771,292 times
Default changeofpace

We are considering renting a 26' truck as well, however, isnt the cost of renting a truck with mileage and gas considerable? We know it is cheaper than hiring a moving company but we are thinking we should sell a the majority of our stuff rather than have more than what the truck will hold. Others who have moved cross country have any pros and cons to think about. We are moving from Mpls, MN to Corpus Christi.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:39 PM

3,093 posts, read 6,390,840 times
VERY CAREFULLY!!!

Seriously, it's like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. Remember to put the boxes that are heaviest to the bottom of the stack. Turn tables upside down or remove legs. Tape screws to at least one piece of whatever you unscrewed it from. Part a pats box. (screwdrivers, nails, remote controls, etc.) Pack each bedroom's bedding in a separate box and mark that box on all four sides and the top.

And it's not heavy stuff to the front but heavy stuff all the way across in an even layer, front to back.

Get plastic wrap and wrap all your furniture (upholstered).

When packing any room that has cabinets, a good way to avoid repeating steps is to have tape handy and when you finish a cabinet, put a piece of masking tape across the cabinet doors to keep you from repeatably open the doors to check and see if you packed it.

Liz

Old 06-26-2007, 11:54 PM

1,833 posts, read 4,378,713 times
#1 thing ... but the unpack first box on last. You know the one with the toilet paper, coffee maker, coffee, toothbrush, and all that stuff. Last time we moved 'someone' thought it was the load first box. Because I write on the box in BIG letters OPEN FIRST.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 PM

3,093 posts, read 6,390,840 times
Oh, and make sure there is a box cutter, scissors, screwdriver (flat and phillips head) disposable plates, cups, silverware, something to microwave in, paper towels...basically anything you can NOT live without in the first 24-48 hours in that same last box. Liz

Old 06-27-2007, 06:12 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,519,224 times
As has been said, get all the boxes in first, packed as high and as tight as you can. If you only have some loose stuff left, stand up a few matresses or even go buy two cheap sheets of 1/2" plywood, and tie them across the boxes to lock everything in. They you can put our sofas and other stuff in and not worry about the boxes shifting and falling all over.

Bob

Old 06-27-2007, 06:42 AM

107 posts, read 497,900 times
Thanks everyone keep the tips coming!!

we rented a 26 foot truck from penske with unlimited miles for 1900.00 , were actually splitting it and the gas with my mother who is moving some of her stuff in our truck so it worked out. still cheaper then a mover!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues