Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 PM

919 posts, read 3,383,310 times

Advertisements

Hiya.

I'm moving cross country and can fit most of my stuff in my vehicle. I decided to sell all my furniture and start anew.

However I'm running into space issues due to:

- clothes, which I've trimmed but still have a lot of stuff I need.
- bedding, which is relatively light but bulky. Think big, fluffy comforters.
- books, which are heavy and I've trimmed but still want to keep as many as possible.

As such, I'm wondering if anyone has some advice about possibly shipping such items via traditional package companies? I have no desire to get them to my new place quickly... if they take a month, that's fine.

I'm more interested in affordable and am happy to forgo speed. For example, I know the Postal Service has/had that deal where you can ship anything for one price if you can fit it into the certain size box, but that box is kind of small. Do any other services offer bulk deals on bigger boxes if you give up the speed factor?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 01:09 AM

124 posts, read 371,375 times
First off, make sure you have gotten rid of everything you can live without. After you do that, try to get the bags you vacuum out all the air from it? I forget what they're called, but you can vaccum the air from it, and the stuff in it takes a lot less space. That might work with the clothes/bedding, just put the ones you don't need (seasonal stuff, etc) in the bags, an vaccum out all the extra air. then you can just lay it in the back seat of your car or something.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:05 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,090,106 times
It will probably be cheaper to rent a small U-Haul that you can pull with your car then to ship books, etc.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:57 AM

96 posts, read 335,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwriting View Post
First off, make sure you have gotten rid of everything you can live without. After you do that, try to get the bags you vacuum out all the air from it? I forget what they're called, but you can vaccum the air from it, and the stuff in it takes a lot less space. That might work with the clothes/bedding, just put the ones you don't need (seasonal stuff, etc) in the bags, an vaccum out all the extra air. then you can just lay it in the back seat of your car or something.
I know what you're talking about. Space Bags. You can get them at places like Walmart. When you think about the cost of shipping versus the cost of the bags, much cheaper to buy the bags. They have different sizes. I'm moving cross country next summer and plan on doing that. Sell of as much as possible and use those bags for clothes and blankets. It'll will make alot more room in the car for other stuff.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 PM

3,603 posts, read 9,015,315 times
From past experience Fedex Ground usually runs about a dollar a pound. You can go on their site to calculate the price and time.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,905,456 times
USPS Media Mail for your books are about $30 for 70 pounds, bout 1/2 of what fedex/ups ground charges. But pack your car tight, Maybe a roof rack? Under the seats, the pass seat, Cars can fit alot if you pack them tight.

For the bulky Lite stuff you might want to ship that, does not cost that much to ship, You need to figure cost of shipping vs the space it takes in the car.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:32 PM

542 posts, read 1,473,989 times
I am getting ready to move across country and was telling my doctor about it today. He said when he moved from NY to WA he moved most of this things (unbreakable) via Amtrack. He said at the time it was pennies per pound. Worth looking into at the very least.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:33 PM

542 posts, read 1,473,989 times
Here, one quick google search and I found an article on it:

Shipping on Amtrak: The Cheapest Option for Your Long Distance Move - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Old 05-09-2012, 08:42 AM

11,409 posts, read 7,725,668 times
UShip. You list the items you need moved and get bids from movers going to your destination. They are usually going there anyway with a less than full load and will just add your items to fill up the truck.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:25 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,209,219 times
You can do book rate on the books via post office. Pack small boxes, books only. Do the rest UPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues