Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 11:56 PM

90 posts, read 409,722 times

Advertisements

This is the ideal way I want to move to Florida soon (but I may have to drive myself...)

I want to:

1) Fly to the location on a plane

2) Pack everything myself in boxes

3) Hire a moving company to load all boxes and furniture on their truck and have them drive it down to the new house

But the part that I'm stuck on is I'm not sure who is reliable and affordable. I have also heard of PODS as well, which seem quite flexible. Also, another thing is could I just have the movers leave the trailer at the new location for a day or two until I am ready to have it unloaded?

As you can tell, I'm quite new to long distance moving. I did move recently here locally and had help from Two Men and a Truck but I am not sure who to use for a long distance move.

Any tips, suggestions and advice would be great! Thanks,

Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 07:11 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,097,617 times
You should use ABF U-Pack, especially if you are moving a decent amount of stuff. Check them out on the web. I have used these guys 3 times and they have always come through (My truck is already here in town, but I cannot have the drop it at the rental house yet, cuz the house is not avail until Friday). The truck came a week earlier than quoted, and they were willing to hang onto it for a week without charging me extra. Go to their site and get a quote.... they are affordable, professional and dependable. Now with that said.... I highly, highly suggest you pack the trailer yourself and than hire someone to unload it for you. Nobody is going to pack the stuff in the truck nearly as good as you will. If you do hire movers to load the truck, be sure to watch them carefully to make sure they don;t do anything foolish.

I have had such good experiences with this company that I will always use them. In fact, I think I may even send them a testimonial.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 PM

3,032 posts, read 7,901,885 times
We are moving to Ct from North FL Oct !,ouch,go from $32 taxes to $3600 still have reservation's about move.
Anyway we are packing and binding quote from North American Van Line for 1275 lbs was $5253 with $4995 insurance and $23 cwt if under,if over there problem,also shuttle which will not be needed.Mayflower $700 higher with $1000 deductible on insurance.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,268,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
We are moving to Ct from North FL Oct !,ouch,go from $32 taxes to $3600 still have reservation's about move.
Anyway we are packing and binding quote from North American Van Line for 1275 lbs was $5253 with $4995 insurance and $23 cwt if under,if over there problem,also shuttle which will not be needed.Mayflower $700 higher with $1000 deductible on insurance.

32.00 to 3600.00?

Old 07-30-2010, 06:59 AM

11 posts, read 45,640 times
We recently moved from Ohio to Florida. We used United Mayflower's version of PODS. Their service was excellent. I don't know if they provide a service where someone packs the container for you -- we packed ours ourselves. From the time they dropped the container off at our old house, to the time they picked up the empty container at our new house, we had 30 days to complete the move in order to be charged the contract price. We arrived at our new house (my husband had actually been living in the house for some time) and spent a couple of weeks cleaning, painting, dejunking, etc., before we had the container delivered. We made sure we emptied the container and had it picked back up within the 30 day timeline. The whole thing came in just shy of $2,000.

At the exact same time, my sister-in-law was moving from Arizona to Ohio. (She bought our old house, ha!) She hired American Van Lines at a significantly higher cost, but she needed movers to load and unload her belongings, as there was no way she could do it herself. Unbeknownst to her, American Van Lines contracted her moving job to another company called Sirena Movers. After about a week and a half, she started calling asking when her stuff would be delivered. She was told "two days," then "tomorrow," then "next week," etc. It was 29 days before her belongings showed up in Ohio. She spent almost a month in the house with a loaner couch, a tv that we left for her, a blow-up bed, and a special needs son who literally became violent at times. He had no idea where he was because his bed and all of his "familiar stuff" was sitting in a warehouse in Oklahoma for almost two weeks. It was a nightmare.

It is not my mission to shed light on bad moving companies, but I would suggest you do some research. For example, if you Google "Sirena Movers," you will find one hideous story after another. I would be very careful about who you hire and I would make sure you absolutely understand the terms of their service. Buyer beware. Good luck with your move.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:09 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,387,963 times
suddath

Old 07-30-2010, 10:40 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,508,297 times
I actually agreed to Moderate this forum because I'll be moving myself in about a year or so.
I'll be moving from western NY to my other home in Florida. Since that home is furnished, I will be moving very little. For me, it sounds like a "pod-type" option is perfect for me.

I need to start researching the differences between these "Pod-type" companies. I've heard good things about ABF relo-cubes.

I need to research cost, size of the units, etc........

Frank

Old 07-30-2010, 10:50 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,869,606 times
Some horror stories that you hear from ppl moving.
Do your research always for these companies, even though it may be a reputable one, if they subcontract you end up with a not reliable co. that you did not contract with in the first place.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:36 PM

3,032 posts, read 7,901,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
32.00 to 3600.00?
We have lived in FL 20 years,yes our county has good exemptions along with Florida's cap on increase on property valuation which is capped at three percent.Available to us are two homestead's and one income unlike Connecticut which will ********* to death.There exemptions do not amount to a row of beans.The $3600 is a 24 X 30 two story home.During bubble they appraised it at $173,000 and was not appealed,we found reason to appeal but buzzards denied it. All of our family is there.
We bought as foreclosure and brought it back from the dead.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:42 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,343,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Did you leave off a zero? Because 1275 lbs can be put in the back of your car. Hoping you mean 12,750 lbs. Please clarify. We'll be making a similar move soon. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues