U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 03:28 PM

111 posts, read 270,293 times

Advertisements

Obviously I don't want to carry all my money in the truck with me. What did you do?

Is this the only reason national banks are popular? Should I finally sell off some integrity and get a temp account at a Chase or something? Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 04:05 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,224,163 times
If you don't want to go with a larger national bank check out the smaller, well established, regional banks in the area to which you will be moving. You should be able to do a wire transfer of your funds from your old bank(s) to your new one(s) with relative ease. Or, simply wite a check to your new bank from you old one if you want to wait the few days for it to clear.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:20 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,287,019 times
If you belong to a credit union, most of them belong to a national clearinghouse where you can transfer money between them. Perhaps the same is true with smaller banks. Either way, when you move, just open a new account and if you don't want your old account write a check for the new account and close the old one. I kept both since I did not want to change my ACH deposits and withdrawls. I never use large banks, only local credit unions.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:34 PM

9,683 posts, read 15,871,097 times
Haul it in a Brinks truck!

Seriously, most money nowdays is in some sort of transferable form, such as a bank or brokerage firm, but I moved many years ago with the grand total of $5000.

I took $500 in cash, and wire transferred the rest when I arrived at my new destination. You need to open an account first to wire transfer, so,you need to get an account established first.

Be very careful with any cash, the minute anyone finds out you have any cash they will worry themselves silly to get if off you, by any means legal or illegal. I had "friends" who just couldn't stand the thought I had a few dollars extra and tried all sorts of schemes to part me with my $500. what if they knew about the $5000

When it comes to money, trust no one!

Old 09-25-2010, 11:39 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,449,149 times
I transfer money long distances all the time. So I can offer some insight here. I live in NJ but am part of a military-only credit union that has no offices in the area. So I transfer $10,000/month from my paycheck from my local bank (Fidelity) to the credit union. No truck needed. My tool of choice is a keyboard and mouse.

You can move money bank to bank online with the routing information printed at the bottom of checks. Talk to your bank about it.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:08 PM

4,891 posts, read 9,305,380 times
Don't listen to these people.

Give me your money and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
I'll take care of the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues