Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 AM

57 posts, read 146,705 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am currently in the Boston area (originally from here) trying to decide if I want to stay forever or try and find something else.

For people that have made a substantial move, where did you move to and why did you do it? Better job, cheaper cost of living, move to be closer to someone, school?

Did you regret your move? If so did you stay? End up moving back home or to somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 02:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I moved to Florida, from the West coast for a job...now I wish I had not, because if I want to move back to where my family is, it is going to be very expensive. I probably should have thought this out more...but I was impulsive, and just took the job...So, I don't have any furniture, because I don't want to buy any in case I move...I just am sort of living in limbo now...I don't want to buy a house...that is for sure.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:18 PM

604 posts, read 856,280 times
I moved from Denver to Miami for my job. For the first five years it was really good--I learned a lot, got a professional certification and the pay raise that came with it, was well-paid, and had a lot of autonomy to do research and other projects. But in the past few years we have had a change in management style at work, resulting in my not having any options to expand my skills or move up. My pay packet has also taken a hit the past couple years and Miami is an expensive city to live in. Adding all that up means it's time for me to go.

I'm currently a grad student and while I still work at my job, furthering my education is my main goal so I can move back out west where the cost of living is lower and there are more professional options for me.

So I guess my point is that when I moved here it was the right thing for me to do, and I don't regret doing it. Now it's time for me to go, and I'm certainly ready to. If there's anything I regret it's the year I wasted moping around, realizing I had hit the wall, before I started grad school. If there is something you really want to do with your life and you don't have to move in order to do it, then don't. If your dream cannot be realized where you are, or you just want to see someplace different, go for it. "Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or a nation," and all that. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2010, 02:23 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
"Home", even if it means higher cost of living or more traffic or riskier employment climate is difficult to substitute. We move from CA to CO and CO to HSV, AL and we're back in CA now. Even though CO and AL had all sorts of advantages on paper (affordable housing, jobs, friendly people, low crime, no traffic) they weren't home. We're back and our kids are within two hours of their grandparents now. Plus we're in just about perfect climate.

If you're single then why not but we have four kids and home is where we needed to be.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:22 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie0930 View Post
Hi All,

I am currently in the Boston area (originally from here) trying to decide if I want to stay forever or try and find something else.

For people that have made a substantial move, where did you move to and why did you do it? Better job, cheaper cost of living, move to be closer to someone, school?

Did you regret your move? If so did you stay? End up moving back home or to somewhere else?
I recently moved from my home state of Virginia to the Ft. Knox/Louisville.

My mother's job moved and I couldn't afford to live by myself in Northern VA (or any of Virginia for that matter) so I moved out here with her.

So far I don't regret leaving. Louisville has potential to be a good long-term home for me but I am considering moving for better employment opportunities once I finish my degree.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:40 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,402 times
My husband moved to London from Switzerland - where we met. His company relocated him. We moved to Hong Kong - which we both loved for 3 years and then to Singapore for just under 2 years. Both moves were company relocation. We are 1 week away from a move to the us - initially for 2 years.

We now realise how small the world is. Worse case happens - you just jump a flight home.

Its great to experience other places and when we have to settle down we can make an educated decision....

I don't ever want to move back to the UK and neither does my husband. I've never lived in Switzerland...... so home is wherever we are at any time.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:26 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We just moved from our home of 30+ years to a place where we know no one except one of our children and his wife. We have a network of friends all over the country who we keep in touch with. It doesn't really matter where we live, we will still remain in touch with those who are important to us.
We moved because of job, weather, and the need to stop stagnating in a northern bad economy. We have about 10 years or less left in the work force, and we wanted an adventure. There is nothing stopping us from moving back if we want to later, but for now we want to embrace change.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:28 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,451 times
I moved from Chicago to Cincinnati to be with my boyfriend who moved from Chicago to Northern Kentucky for his job. We broke up six months later. I never left because I made such great friends here in the meantime. Now I am getting that urge to move again, Cincinnati never felt like home and I never planned on making it home. So now I am prepairing to move to Detroit :-) This will be the first move where I am going by choice :-)

Old 10-30-2010, 12:10 AM

654 posts, read 3,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
I moved from Chicago to Cincinnati to be with my boyfriend who moved from Chicago to Northern Kentucky for his job. We broke up six months later. I never left because I made such great friends here in the meantime. Now I am getting that urge to move again, Cincinnati never felt like home and I never planned on making it home. So now I am prepairing to move to Detroit :-) This will be the first move where I am going by choice :-)
I will be moving back near the Grand Rapids area pretty soon and if all goes well I should be back for good by December. I'm going up there next month for Thanksgiving so looking forward to that trip! Plan to move some of my stuff in my car so as to save on reducing the number of stuff to move later.

Hope your future move works out well!

Old 10-30-2010, 07:32 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I have moved several times, because I am so motivated to make more money. I have lived 5 places in 7 years. I have more than doubled my income in 7 years. Now, I am settled, more or less, I don't see me being able to make more money, although the living expenses where I live are quite high. I would prefer to live in Montana, or Colorado, but now days, go where the jobs are...now that I am here on the east coast, I will probably stay, because it is expensive to move. Although, the last move I made, I basically got rid of everything. I still have no furniture, just picked up some stuff at Pier One, and still have a blow up mattress for a bed, and bought two tables at Costco for furniture. If I dump this stuff, no big deal.

Now days, you have to move to stay competitive in thsi job market. Things have changed in the US....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues