U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 02:08 AM

32 posts, read 50,823 times

Advertisements

The first week of January we will be moving from Seattle Wa to Charleston SC. We are driving cross country with 2 trucks and 2 horse trailers hauling our 4 horses, and our small animals. I am nervous due to the possible weather problems we may encounter, and also finding a route with adequate nightly stopping points. One of our horse trailers has living quarters, so we can "camp" but we need someplace to keep the horses overnight where they can stretch their legs.. I have heard that I-5 to I-40 may be our best bet, any opinions on this?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 11:22 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,948,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerburn View Post
I have heard that I-5 to I-40 may be our best bet, any opinions on this?
That sound about right. The farther south the better. You might want to take CA-58 from Bakersfield to Barstow in California to avoid the cluster**** that is LA. I-40 can get winter weather but not nearly as bad as routes farther north. Carry lots of good maps and have alternate routes in mind should the weather get nasty.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:36 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,654,955 times
Yes, going down I-5 is your best bet starting out, but even it's not totally safe in the winter time. It can snow A LOT on Syskious Pass, at the California line, and around Lake Tahoe. January can also see significant snows on Tehachapi Pass between Bakersfield and Mojave (CA-58) and across the Grapevine into Los Angeles (I-5), but it's not common. Rest assured, though, that Caltrans and the CHP will close any road that gets too much snow on it and keep it closed until it's plowed and sanded.

I-40 is your most direct route from there (and, yes, CA-58 over to Barstow does cut off a LOT of miles and it's a good, 4 lane freeway), but it's only good for awhile.

After Ash Fork, AZ, you climb up into the high country, topping out at Flagstaff (elev: 7000+) and then you stay at higher elevations until about Albuquerque, NM or beyond. January can see some real, serious blizzards all across that route into Oklahoma, accompanied by high winds and bitter cold in the Texas Panhandle.

Even after you get to Arkansas, you're still not free of worry as it can, and does, snow frequently across that state and Tennessee. The more likely scenario, though, is ice which is far more dangerous than snow. A lot of times, it will melt off the next day, but not always.

North Carolina presents the challenge of passing through the Appalachian's and it's no cake walk when it snows as it can really pile up around Asheville. You really won't be free of any threat until you get down Saluda Hill into South Carolina on I-26, but even there it has been known to snow enough to close the interstates, especially around Spartanburg.

If time and mileage isn't an issue, I'd recommend I-10/20. But, that road too is subject to horrific weather in southern NM and west Texas, as far as Dallas, and prone to ice storms all the way across to Georgia. And, none of those states are very good at treating the roads, if they try at all (which they usually don't.) Texas MIGHT get out and sand the bridges and overpasses, but I wouldn't even count on that.

If you're flexible on your starting time and are dedicated to hauling azz, you might catch a week long break in the weather and be able to scoot across a northern route between storms.

The bottom line is that whatever route you take, you'll be exceptionally blessed to make it all the way without hitting some bad roads, so prepare for it, mentally and mechanically. I hope your trailers have brakes which activate with the truck brakes or you'll be subject to jack-knife any time you have to brake on slick roads. And believe me, it can happen fast enough to leave your head spinning.

As for horse rests? I can't help you with that, but any good livestock hauling company can. Find one in the phone book or online and ask them.

Good luck.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:38 AM

1,618 posts, read 5,962,656 times
WoW, that is one heck of a tow. Be safe out there!!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:08 PM

32 posts, read 50,823 times
Thank you everyone! I'm really nervous about this, but we need to do it...
So it sounds like we have it right going down I-5, and I/10-20?
The company pays for mileage and we have 12 days total to get there. My LQ has really good brakes, and my stock trailer brakes are in good condition, and will only be hauling one horse and the feed for the herd. I was sent a good website regarding horse hotels, so as long I have a good estimate on where we will be each night, I should be ok.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:26 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,787,366 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone! I'm really nervous about this, but we need to do it...
So it sounds like we have it right going down I-5, and I/10-20?
The company pays for mileage and we have 12 days total to get there. My LQ has really good brakes, and my stock trailer brakes are in good condition, and will only be hauling one horse and the feed for the herd. I was sent a good website regarding horse hotels, so as long I have a good estimate on where we will be each night, I should be ok.
I have traveled that route several times in 1990. Truckers told me the best route during bad weather was 5S. to Ca 58 east to Barstow,to 215 S. to San Bernardino, Ca , then Hwy.10, then Hwy 20. Stay as far south as you can then on the East coast you can go north,

Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,654,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
I have traveled that route several times in 1990. Truckers told me the best route during bad weather was 5S. to Ca 58 east to Barstow,to 215 S. to San Bernardino, Ca , then Hwy.10, then Hwy 20. Stay as far south as you can then on the East coast you can go north,

Actually, both I-5 and I-15 take you down some pretty good grades into either the Inland Empire or Los Angeles basin. Either way, you have to climb back up out of it east of Palm Springs at Cirricao Summit on I-10.

If you really want to go via CA-58 and avoid the LA area altogether, this is what I would recommend: Take 58 east to Barstow, CA, then I-40 east to Needles, CA. Go south on US-95 to Blythe and catch I-10 there. There's a fairly good downgrade into Needles, but it's nothing like Cajon or Tejon passes. Also, US-95 goes uphill for the first 15 miles or so after you get off the interstate, but there's no downgrade on the other side. It's all two-lane, but a good road with enough traffic that you won't feel lonesome. I've run that way in loaded trucks lots of times.

There are other routes, but that one is the simplest.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:57 AM

34,356 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Considering you have quite a few animals that probably wont take kindly to freezing i'd do I-5 south to I-10 then east to I-95. Not the most direct route but a lot less chance of extremely low temperatures.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:15 PM

556 posts, read 1,833,321 times
Quote:
The first week of January we will be moving from Seattle Wa to Charleston SC. We are driving cross country with 2 trucks and 2 horse trailers hauling our 4 horses, and our small animals.
Thanks
If you can plan your travel through LA around the serious traffic jams - and have the time in your schedule to consider a drop down to I-10 and come on across the southern part of the states - you should avoid a lot of the more severe weather issues/concerns.....and you will be in a lot of 'horse' country You should make really good time as well - I traveled LA to San Antonio and drove straight through - just under 22 hours after a traffic delay in LA - but once out of that area - very little traffic - GREAT roads - and lots of flat country where you can see for MILES. I had great cell phone reception the entire way and while the towns are a stretch apart - they seemed to come at the right time for fuel and pit stops

I'll second the thoughts on safe travels to you and your family! The best on your relocation - you're moving to a beautiful area!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues