Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:26 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,134 times

Advertisements

My husband generally moves before me and I tie up the loose ends. I think it's easier for me, like fallingwater said, he has no idea how much I do so he doesn't have to. Hopefully you can have some visits and enjoy the Holidays together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 05:10 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
We did this, but were only apart 6 weeks and 600 miles. This is a great time to renew faith in your love and relationship, and honestly brought us closer together. We appreciated each others company and help, and he definitely did not realize how much I do for him until I wasn't there to help him!

My coworker is currently doing this more long term with his family about 800 miles away. He is here living in an RV while the family is still in MI until June. That is a long stretch, and they are finding out how difficult it is.. but, they are managing. There is no sugar coating it, the time away can be stressful. But, it is for the greater good of your relationship and future, and if you're both committed, there are no problems. Keep the parents out of it.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 PM

15 posts, read 38,842 times
Thanks for your responses! Yes my parents do live in Florida. They are just worried. We want out of Florida. We just wanted to make sure we weren't crazy, and we also had a long distance relationship the first 3 years we were together.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
No, you're not crazy--I think you'll be fine. Time really does fly, especially when you're busy. Good luck to you.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:42 AM

692 posts, read 1,706,838 times
My wife and I have been apart for the last 5.5 months. She in NC and me in Wyo. In another 3 weeks we will be together again in Wyoming. It has been tough but our relationship is strong and much stronger now. I too did not realize what she does for me and it makes me appreciate and love her more. Pray for guidence and have faith.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:20 PM

593 posts, read 1,795,000 times
I'm living that scenario right now. My husband landed a job 1,300 miles away in Aug. and I'm left here to sell the house and pack up. I will be joining him in a few weeks once escrow closes. I just flew back to where he's at and bought a new home. It can be done, but it's not fun. I'm dealing with everything breaking right now and I have no clue how to fix them...And the yard work sucks!...:>)

Old 10-24-2010, 03:47 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,852 times
My husband started his new job 5 weeks before I moved out and honestly it was much easier to pack up with him gone. My whole life became about packing, painting, having small jobs done that he would have tried to do but would have taken way longer! You get the idea.
I didn't have to make dinner as often, lots of Happy Meals, no arguing about what to donate or not! But I was very happy when we were all together and I am glad its not longer. Some couples do have to go longer. I do believe long term separation should only be done for financial necessity, not to prolong someone merging their lives in the new area. 3 months are not a big deal and children often need to finish their school terms.
Don't worry and good luck!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:23 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
we are doing this right now. by the time it is over it will be about 3.5 months in a different city. We did it this way so I could wrap things up with our home and also I don't have a job in the new city so working a few extra months with a decent income here is helping off set the cost of our move. Thankfully,we have seen each other every other weekend on average, or I would be even more miserable. I wish we did not have to do it this way but the end result is worth it.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,329 times
We did that when we moved out to Colorado. I went with our daughter so that she could start school and I could start my job then DH joined us five months later.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
I've never lived in mountains, but I have driven thousands of miles in them in the late fall and winter months.

Mountain weather is unpredictiable and treacherous. Here are a few suggestions

Your biggest problem may be snow in the mountains while you are trying to move. I would leave as early as I can to avoid as much "weather" as possible.

Mountain air in the winter is very dry and cold "to the bone" due to elevation. Be prepared to stop and buy winter gear: Down filled, or natural sheep skin lined jacket, cap, gloves, neck scarf or face mask and warm boots before you arrive. If the air is cold do keep your nose and mouth covered. Lungs do not like cold air Once you travel north of I-80 the air will be considerably colder as you approach the Canadian border.

Do "Winterize" your vehicle for sub-zero temperatures (-50 or colder) before you depart. You might even consider installing an in-line heater.

I suggest you go to the ND forum and ask how to prepare for the winter. You may find you need a diesel powered generator, a 4x4 vehicle, or any number of things you never dreamed you would ever need. Moving from the extreme South to the extreme North is more than a culture shock.

If you need TJ products, like I do, your nearest store is St. Paul, Minnesota.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues