U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 01:11 AM

654 posts, read 3,107,288 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move back to Michigan in the next 2 months and am already in the process of packing stuff in my current house, which is not alot (1,300 sq.ft house).

However, I want to move as lightly as possible, and will be using Penske to do my own move since their equipment is reliable and have used them before in a past move. I don't have a ton of furniture but a few pieces including a oak table with 4 chairs, futon with mattress, nightstand and a small size dresser. As for appliances, I just have an average sized fridge, washer and small deep-freezer.

The dryer and stove I have came with the house when I bought it so it will stay with the house. I am not sure whether to sell the fridge, washer and deep-freeze or let it stay with the house too when I sell it.

As for the furniture most of it was bought from a garage sale a few years ago so it won't be a big loss to either sell it or give it away. Most of my boxes have not been unpacked since I moved into the house (2 years lol) so its good to go. The boxes I have opened to use I can get rid of what I don't need to use and try to consolidate as much as possible.

I am thinking of renting the 16ft Penske truck and the car hauler to tow my car. Now being a current semi-driver (for work) I'm very experienced in driving trucks so size isn't a problem. The next size up would be the 22ft diesel which I know it can be better on MPG but as diesel fuel prices are at about $3 a gallon, it may be expensive for a 1,200 mile move. However I don't want to rent more space than what I need.

Already have a job lined up in MI which I will be going there next month to finalize things. So I am looking at sometime around December to make the move, and with it being a non-peak season for moving, should get a decent price on the Penske truck.

I have read through some past moving threads and gained good info, but any new info or advice anyone could offer too would be of great help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 11:06 AM

2,953 posts, read 6,139,557 times
The best bang for the buck in my experience is the ABF trailer. They move it, and by the time you calculate cost of truck, fuel, traveling expenses and time.. ABF trailer comes out cheaper or at cost than other companies. You can use as much or as little space needed, you are only charged per foot used.

As for furniture / appliances. What you take depends on what you need. We moved from OH to NC and got rid of absolutely anything we could part with. Only brought essentials that we could not repurchase with the funds if we were to sell them. For example, we had a brand new Temperpedic mattress set - I could not sell the set for what I would need to purchase it again, so it made the move with me. Some items we just didn't care to move. If I could not sell them in time for the move, I donated for the tax credit. This also allowed us to move into a smaller house once in NC and not having to worry about space issue.

Good luck with your move & congrats on landing a job in MI!

Old 10-28-2010, 07:35 AM

3,047 posts, read 6,578,352 times
I am from and lived in MI most of my life. Are you going to rent or buy a home? I ask because if you won't be using those appliances you may be better off to sell them rather then keep them in storage. When I moved states I had my car shipped so it was less expensive to just buy new inexpensive furniture in the new state. I did pack my car up though so when it arrived I had the items that could fit in my car. Good luck with your move and new job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues