Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 09:02 AM

127 posts, read 326,279 times

Advertisements

I am a single 25 y/o male graduated from college a couple years ago, as far as career/money wise goes I'm not tied down to a single place...Right now Im living where I was born and raised and have been for 25 years, Virginia Beach, Virginia....and I'm just so bored with the area, its mostly military and just not that interesting anymore. Anyway I already have it pegged down to either the LA area area or Florida, Ive been to each place several times and I really am leaning towards florida just not sure where, dont really care to live in Miami was actually thinking more SW florida near the beautiful gulf. So anyways was hoping to hear some opinions from both sides of the fence here California VS. Florida, just want to make sure I make the right choice, plus let it be noted Im also a big beach person and love to jetski, boat, almost anything water related. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
I have lived in FL and CA. If you move it should be to a state that gives you the best opportunity in your career. I would also have a lot of savings for this move if you move without a job. I have lived a lot of places and often problems arise that one needs money for. Also in this economy even highly educated people are out of work. Overall I like CA but it is very expensive. FL especially in certain areas is more affordable especially if oneday you want to a own a home.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
It is 69 times easier to find a nice place to live after you have found a job than it is to find a job after you have found a nice place to live.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:11 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Okay I have lived in Florida and Cali both and I must say both are costly to me . Also Florida has a very high unemployment rate and the cost of house insurance is skyrocketing , not so much ahouse itself but the insurance is almost unaffordable . Rent are out of this world in Florida too I will never live there again . Food is kind of on the high side because everything is practically shipped down there . The humidity is very uncomfortable for the most part of the year . I lived in florida for almost twenty years while I was married and had a great job and then the economy hit and there went my job and my house and I tried for almost 8 months to get a job and could not came to Ohio and had a job within three wks . I loved california but it is really hard to get a job there and houses are extremely costly too and also hate earthquakes and mud slides so no more california for me either . Im not slinging mud here folks im being honest .

Old 10-28-2010, 11:25 AM

48 posts, read 217,575 times
I currently live in Tampa/St. Pete area of FL. phonelady brought up a good point, jobs in this metro area are VERY scarce. My wife is currently unemployed as I speak. FL has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation. What career field are you looking to get into? Do you have any practical experience? I would look into the industry that you are going into in both states and decide from there. I would suggest looking on careerbuilder or monster and see which state/area you are considering has the most job prospects.

It would be no fun if you moved to relax at the sunny beaches but couldn't find a job...

On the plus side, SW Florida really does have some of the best beaches in the state...not as crowded as Miami's (haven't been to LA to comment on theirs). But then you have to worry about hurricanes from August to November...even though we've been quiet this year...

FWIW my wife and I are actually moving out of FL in a couple of months! Good luck on your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues