U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 11:02 AM

1,726 posts, read 3,125,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
Ok, need some insight as the best way to pack these items.....as far as food items, I mean mostly non-perishable things like sugar, seasonings, oils (bottled olive oils and such) and canned goods. I was thinking perhaps can pack these items in a plastic tote or something so as to not having to worry about bugs and critters getting in during the move. Since I have alot of spices that I am still using, I would like to take these along so that I can use them at the new destination once the move is complete.

Now, as for CD/DVD/Blu-ray collection, I do have a decent sized collection, but of course they take up alot of room in some of the boxes I had them packed in. Some of them are boxed sets too (like the original Transformer cartoon series, Family Guy, etc) and was thinking of perhaps getting a disc binder to house all of my movie and audio collection in those and probably get rid of the cases. I am still on the fence with this one though, so any ideas or suggestions anyone of you may have will be very helpful.

My goal is to travel as lightly as possible. I am taking a trip to MI next month so I will try to take some of my things with me so as to reduce the number of boxes to pack for the moving truck. My furniture, which I don't have much I plan to either give away or sell. The only 'big' items I have would be my futon with pad mattress, and my TV stand for my 40" HDTV. The stand also has tempered glass panels so I will have to pack that carefully to avoid the panels being broken.

Hmm, I think that's about it for now....
I wouldn't take any of the food except the spices, if they are fairly fresh. Spices are so expensive. Luckily they don't take up much room, though. Food in general should be used up as much as possible, and not moved IMO.

I'd put the spices in a zip-lock bag or bags, and just take them in the car with me or put in the box with items needed immediately upon arrival.

As for CD's and DVD's, I think your idea sounds pretty good and I don't really have any better ideas.

Since you are moving yourself, you might even want to consider getting rid of your TV stand as well unless it would be difficult to replace. It sounds heavy. Unless you love your futon, you could buy an inflatable bed from Wal-Mart after you get there, for temporary use.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 PM

9,662 posts, read 15,796,249 times
Believe me, its not worth it to pack food stuffs, things like cooking oils, etc. Even unopened, they could be damaged, you couldn't believe the mess one bottle of cooking oil could make, all over a moving van or storage unit! We've had that happen!

Things like flour, sugar, spices, etc, can attract bugs. Usr it up or throw it out!

Canned goods, eat them up or donate them.

There, you've just eliminated several boxes right there

Old 01-30-2011, 09:01 PM

3,651 posts, read 6,461,670 times
Definitely do the binders for the CD and DVD's.

Not only saves space and weight, but there will be less clutter in your new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues