U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:03 PM

654 posts, read 3,098,530 times

Advertisements

Ok, need some insight as the best way to pack these items.....as far as food items, I mean mostly non-perishable things like sugar, seasonings, oils (bottled olive oils and such) and canned goods. I was thinking perhaps can pack these items in a plastic tote or something so as to not having to worry about bugs and critters getting in during the move. Since I have alot of spices that I am still using, I would like to take these along so that I can use them at the new destination once the move is complete.

Now, as for CD/DVD/Blu-ray collection, I do have a decent sized collection, but of course they take up alot of room in some of the boxes I had them packed in. Some of them are boxed sets too (like the original Transformer cartoon series, Family Guy, etc) and was thinking of perhaps getting a disc binder to house all of my movie and audio collection in those and probably get rid of the cases. I am still on the fence with this one though, so any ideas or suggestions anyone of you may have will be very helpful.

My goal is to travel as lightly as possible. I am taking a trip to MI next month so I will try to take some of my things with me so as to reduce the number of boxes to pack for the moving truck. My furniture, which I don't have much I plan to either give away or sell. The only 'big' items I have would be my futon with pad mattress, and my TV stand for my 40" HDTV. The stand also has tempered glass panels so I will have to pack that carefully to avoid the panels being broken.

Hmm, I think that's about it for now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 05:44 PM

521 posts, read 3,919,450 times
Are you moving yourself or hiring professionals?

The transportation rates for most interstate household goods carriers are usually calculated based on a combination of weight and distance. The more weight you have, the greater your final costs. Consumable products that are eventually included in a customer's shipment effectively increase the final price of each item far above what was paid at the checkout counter.

For instance, the interstate tariff transportation rate to move 48 one-pound cans of canned vegetables, sauces, meat and pasta or tomato products might add as much as $1.00 to $2.00 to the cost of each 16 ounces of food product being moved across country plus the cost of the shipping container!

If you're hiring a mover, you might want to consider the option mentioned in the link below.

Move for Hunger: Helping those in need!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,829,339 times
Eat or donate the canned goods. Most of your spices are probably old and should be replaced anyway.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:37 AM

654 posts, read 3,098,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
Are you moving yourself or hiring professionals?

The transportation rates for most interstate household goods carriers are usually calculated based on a combination of weight and distance. The more weight you have, the greater your final costs. Consumable products that are eventually included in a customer's shipment effectively increase the final price of each item far above what was paid at the checkout counter.

For instance, the interstate tariff transportation rate to move 48 one-pound cans of canned vegetables, sauces, meat and pasta or tomato products might add as much as $1.00 to $2.00 to the cost of each 16 ounces of food product being moved across country plus the cost of the shipping container!

If you're hiring a mover, you might want to consider the option mentioned in the link below.

Move for Hunger: Helping those in need!

I'm moving myself with Penske. I don't have hardly many canned goods at all, probably just a few cans at most. I'll probably just give those away. As for the spices I have, I just gotten those recently so I may just give those away too.

Thanks for the insight thusfar!

Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 PM

2,954 posts, read 6,111,736 times
If you take food, we've moved food items in a plastic tote. Worked just fine; however, the weight of canned items can be troublesome. It is a good time to pick through your food stash and eliminate anything you're not using. If this is a tight budget move (as mine always seem to be), remember you'll be slim on the finances upon arriving - so having something in the pantry might be to your advantage.

CD/DVD - tough call, you'll have to figure that one you. The binder is a great idea, but will discarding the boxes and cases cause problems in the event you sell those later on?

Futon - these are cheap, you can easily replace this once you're back in MI. Is this your main sleeping bed? Are you willing to give it up and use an air mattress short term until you're back on your feet in MI?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,031,215 times
When I packed spices I put them in ziploc bags and then a plastic tote. Mind you, mine were going to go into storage before we bought a house.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,369 times
My wife always cans jam and jelly. We are moving over the Cascade mountains into the midwest. What should we do with these home canned jams and jellies? Will the higher altitudes cause breakage of all the jars, or will be fine just to pack them up and move them?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:47 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,891,486 times
You might also want to consider mailing your spices, as they would be light and not take up much room, if you put them in plastic bags, etc.
As to CD's, etc, they could be mailed at Media rate, which is quite inexpensive.

Frank

Old 01-28-2011, 06:07 PM

3,174 posts, read 6,999,133 times
I have moved from sea level to 8150 feet with food items and didn't have a problem. I've never moved home canned jams or jellies but did have some mailed to me this Christmas and had no problem then either. I always err on the side of caution and put anything that can leak or explode in ziplock bags, then wrapped in packing paper and then in a box or plastic tote.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:41 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,537,792 times
I can tell you that a extensive CD;DVD type items really can addup in weight in a toter. I'd go more smaller size to keep the individual weight lighter. I know I just move and my wife collection which I would call extensive weight alot for size of the packing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues