Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,061 times

Advertisements

Do some research, pack your bags and get out. Houston is not a nice place to be for a child that loves Oregon. I have spent MANY a week or two in Houston for medical reasons and came to love it in a strange way, but it is not in the least a good place for an outdoors loving person, way too hot in the summer and the winters can be bone chilling due to the humidity. And the danger there is real....lots of crime, even in the suburbs.

I have a favorite aunt, lots of cousins, younger cousins, etc. that live there and love it, but once you leave the area for paradise, you can compare the two and frankly, under those conditions, I'd say living in Houston would be like living in Hell.
Our parents (and I am a grandparent, so I can say this with all honest) always want what they deem is best for us, but sometimes what is best for us is not what is best for them. Remember that.

Go, go. Live life joyous and free. Things will look up if your heart is in the right place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 12:15 AM

8 posts, read 21,923 times
I think if you have freedom then you can feel happiness.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:30 AM

8 posts, read 21,923 times
If you are happy in your presently life after decision then I want give suggestion to you that firstly you must search the job for your self dependency.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 PM

96 posts, read 131,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiniaJM View Post
Do some research, pack your bags and get out. Houston is not a nice place to be for a child that loves Oregon. I have spent MANY a week or two in Houston for medical reasons and came to love it in a strange way, but it is not in the least a good place for an outdoors loving person, way too hot in the summer and the winters can be bone chilling due to the humidity. And the danger there is real....lots of crime, even in the suburbs.

I have a favorite aunt, lots of cousins, younger cousins, etc. that live there and love it, but once you leave the area for paradise, you can compare the two and frankly, under those conditions, I'd say living in Houston would be like living in Hell.
Our parents (and I am a grandparent, so I can say this with all honest) always want what they deem is best for us, but sometimes what is best for us is not what is best for them. Remember that.

Go, go. Live life joyous and free. Things will look up if your heart is in the right place.
amen

Old 12-30-2010, 05:41 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
Man up! Or Lady up! Your whining and complaining because you live in Houston. Aren't you are a college graduate with no kids? If so, then move back. Whining and complaining about spilled milk will never work. Take the bull by the horns and move on. As stated above conduct some research, save money and go.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 AM

43 posts, read 111,869 times
Ignore all the (rude) remarks about your "whining and complaining," get on every job search site there is, and start applying for work in Oregon. No matter how long you stay in Texas, you will never learn to like it while longing to be somewhere else.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
OP, how did you visit back to Oregon go over the holidays...inquiring minds want to know

Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 PM

21 posts, read 170,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister sugar View Post

"Because everywhere you go there will be stupid people and annoyances, you just have to find the place where you can handle them because everything else cancels them out."

That is SO true. I moved to a new state after high school because I was always so unhappy with where I was growing up, but now that I am far away, I miss what is familiar to me.

Although I will not be moving back to my home state, I will be back in the region that I will feel at home.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,553 times
I feel your pain. I moved from Scottsdale Arizona to a small town in Wisconsin (45 minutes from Milwaukee) for my husband and hate it (we did the long distance thing for a year or so). I miss my friends, the activities, the sunshine, and healthier lifestyle. The people are nice but I don't feel like I have a lot in common with anyone and get tired of the small town talk. Everyone seems to be from here, unlike the melting pot of interesting people in Scottsdale who come from all different places. We originally were only suppose to stay in WI for a few months until he sold his house and then move to Southern California, but we are upside down on the place. I wanted to do a short sale on it but he doesn't want to. I've moved to several different cities and my family is scattered around the country. I just think some cities suite some people. It's almost been a year and I feel the same. Maybe have just gotten used to being in this "slump." I've been back home twice, and every time I've felt alive and myself again.
God I hope we can sell this house soon!
I know my husband is tired of my lack or enthusiasm.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:17 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,172 times
We did the opposite. We moved over 1700 miles from home, and LOVE it here. it took me about 2 years to stop yearning for 'home'. We moved from Akron, Ohio, where I lived my whole life, and where all my family is. And I'm very close to my family. We moved to Utah knowing no one. Now, we don't ever want to move back. We love being outdoors and hiking and dry weather. We have 2 kids, so we love family friendly places. We have that here. Just an opposite outcome to a big move. Oh, and we moved for hubby's job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues