Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 PM

19 posts, read 125,863 times

Advertisements

I'm a chronic mover. I've moved about 6 times in the last 4 years. Well, for two of the years, I was in college, so that explained why I moved so much. However, after college, the moving from place to place continued. I have not stayed at a place for more than a year. I think I'm really picky and not adept at choosing a good place.

I just got out of a 6 month lease at a living situation I wasn't too happy with. Basically, I was sharing a house with a houseowner who was painfully cheap and home 24/7. She would complain when I turn on the AC (even though it is 95 degrees in my room), do a load of laundry, or use the kitchen once in a while. I was so happy when my lease ended and I found an apartment somewhere else and moved in two days ago. However, I've already decided I don't like the new place and am thinking about my next move.The neighbors are super loud and the place seems poorly maintained. There are dead small roaches in the cupboards and sometimes live small ones. I'm afraid to put my pots and pans in the cupboards or food in the pantry. I wish I had known all these things before I moved in.

I'm really sick of moving around because it can be so much work, but I am already planning my next move. Luckily, the current place is month to month. If I'm really not happy, I will only stay at the current place for 2-3 months. My friends and family think I am ridiculous because I move so much. They tell me I must have too much time and money on my hands.

Does anyone else move around as much as I do? What is the shortest time you've stayed at an apartment? Am I really that ridiculous to move out 2-3 months after I move in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 11:48 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
The place sounds terrible. You're right to want to move.

I was in my last apartment for 12 years. I moved to another state in August and I was ready to move again after ten days, before my moving van even arrived. However, I realized that if I move before the end of the year, I'll be filing personal income tax returns for three states. That's a little too complicated, so I plan to move as soon as possible after the first of the year, depending on how quickly I can sell this place.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:09 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,177 times
In the last five years my fiance and I have lived in 5 states. The least amount of time we were in one place was Missoula, MT, where we lived for 8 months, until by fiance was just sick of it.

Can I tell you how psyched I am to have been in Indianapolis for over a year? But we did switch apartments a few months ago, and will do so again when our lease is up (the building has super-crappy soundproofing). On the one hand, I do enjoy moving - especially to a location that is totally new to me - but I am also very much getting sick of it. Moving is so expensive. And, you know, the actual moving part of moving is kind of a drag. Plus it is hard on your furniture. Especially the Ikea furniture.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:15 PM

92 posts, read 229,920 times
During the first 8 years of marriage, DH and I moved a total of 12 times in 5 states. The shortest time we spent was 6 months in MI (3 mos in Detroit area and 3 mos in Ann Arbor) before being sent back to Atlanta, which is where we spent the most time (4 years total), although spread out in three stints. Since then, we've spent five years in PA and three in WI (which is not my fave place to be). As much work as moving is, it gets addicting, IMO. I'm ready to be settled down now for the sake of the kids, but it'll take one more move to do that since I want out of WI. I definitely enjoy the exploring of new places and finding new places to live, though!

Old 11-02-2010, 03:22 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
When I was in the Navy, I spent about a week stationed at a Transient Personnel Unit.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM

88 posts, read 269,961 times
3 or 4 months in Oregon... My Mom got pneumonia from the damp and constant rain... When I told someone at work this, their response was "oh, is this just the first time she's gotten pneumonia this winter?" As soon as she was well enough again to travel we were gone! I worked with kids there- and almost all of them have tubes put in their ears by the time they are like 6mo to a year because of the allergies and dampness. Even for myself I had chronic ear infections the whole time.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:00 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
Sounds like you need to do better research before moving...and give places a chance. Granted your current place does sound awful. But if living conditions were acceptable and livable, would you give it more of a chance?

In the end, if you're okay moving so much, who's to say it's a bad thing? In the long run, I would think it may be easier to maintain friendships and relationships if you stay in one place longer than a few months.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:55 PM

19 posts, read 125,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Sounds like you need to do better research before moving...and give places a chance. Granted your current place does sound awful. But if living conditions were acceptable and livable, would you give it more of a chance?

In the end, if you're okay moving so much, who's to say it's a bad thing? In the long run, I would think it may be easier to maintain friendships and relationships if you stay in one place longer than a few months.
Ok, just got the internet set up at my apartment... Sorry it took me a couple of days before I can read the responses.

Most of you talk about moving to different places after short period of time, but they are to new cities. As for me, I am staying in the area, but just to a different apartment...

Yeah, I really do need to do better research before moving. How could I not have seen how poorly maintained my apartment was? All the signs were there. The place didn't even look clean when I looked at it. I just thought it needed a little cleaning, but I didn't know there were roaches.

I don't have a job right now, and I know some places will not rent to me, so sometimes I just get overly eager if I find a landlord who is willing to rent to me. I am actually a very good tenant who always pays rent on time (I have a couple years worth of living expenses saved up). I just wish some places wouldn't rule me out as soon as they hear I don't have a job currently

I will probably move in 2-3 months. I am moving within the same area, I won't have to establish new friendships and relationships... I just need to do the work of moving everything and setting up all the utilities again.

I am honestly pretty depressed by the current situation. I'm angry at myself for choosing this place so hastily and I feel like I've wasted a lot of time and money and the roaches make me very uncomfortable. I am also very worried that the roaches will infest my belongings and follow me to the next place I go.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:04 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
2 or 3 months.. I was taking summer classes at my university and they had a special dorm for us to stay for the summer semester. We were forced to leave and move into the normal dorms after.

Fyi, I already finished college in 2005 and I've moved 5 times in the last 4 years.. never stayed at a single place (other than parents' home) for more than 2 years.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
To the op,
Go buy those square plastic containers with lids and use them for your clothing, dishes and any food items like flour and such while you remain there. Keeps the bugs out. I moved to the current house and we had a teeny ant problem so while I was taking care of that, we boxed everything up in those plastic containers and they worked great.

Oh and I think we've moved something like 17 times. I get exhausted when I hear the word "move".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues