U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 08:12 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,254,587 times

Advertisements

I never really though too much about this and as we shipped the whole house electrical items just came with us.... however I have been reading a bit more whilst I wait for our shipment and and thinking most of my electrical stuff prob wont work here. Is this true for all items ??

We have a new TV Pioneer that my husband is convinced has a currency conversion switch so we will prob us that with our DVD player ( multi region) to just watch movies in bed - and not link it to an aerial... so thats not a major worry right now but how about things like my coffee machine - illy, or vacuum cleaner - dyson, food processor, bread maker...... will I have to replace everything ?? whilst the idea of shopping for everything all over again will be great fun... its gonna be really expensive !! or can I buy an electrical convertor of some description ?? any ideas ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:24 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,152,817 times
TV in Singapore work on PAL Standard, US is on NTSC Standard, But to watch DVD's you should be fine, Power, I've found that low wattage item work ok on PowerCovertors, but long term you will want to upgrade to 120V Item, Your main Day to Day Item you will want to be on 120v. Any item that you use one and a while a converter will do. Have fun shopping....

Old 11-02-2010, 09:10 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,974,570 times
Many devices will work anywhere in the world with the use of a simple plug adapter. Look on the back for the input requirements. The US runs on 120v 60Hz. If your power supply can handle 110-240v 50-60Hz, then its universal and all you need is a cheap adapter to make the plug fit in the wall.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:22 PM

92 posts, read 196,130 times
Not sure, but I have friends who moved to the US from Wales, and they decided it was worth it to just buy new appliances here that work with our electrical current. Some things (everyday items) it might be easier to just replace since they are not all that expensive to start with and would mean fewer adapters to purchase. Best of luck in your new home!

Old 11-02-2010, 03:25 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,400,693 times
Just an odd aside, for the people answering. If I have a DC to AC adapter that plugs into a car's cigarette lighter socket, does it work fine in other countries? It's still 12V on that end, right?

Old 11-02-2010, 04:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,974,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Just an odd aside, for the people answering. If I have a DC to AC adapter that plugs into a car's cigarette lighter socket, does it work fine in other countries? It's still 12V on that end, right?
Yeah as far as I know, 12vdc car power is the same everywhere.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,254,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin40 View Post
Not sure, but I have friends who moved to the US from Wales, and they decided it was worth it to just buy new appliances here that work with our electrical current. Some things (everyday items) it might be easier to just replace since they are not all that expensive to start with and would mean fewer adapters to purchase. Best of luck in your new home!
Yeah I am going to do that with the cheaper stuff like iron, hairdryer etc but breadmaker and food processor and coffee machine would all be around $300-500 each to replace at the same standard as they are good quality so was hoping to find a way around that. I did some research and I will prob get a convertor for the kitchen and plug whichever appliance into it as I need it.
We are only on a 2 year assignment here so want to avoid buying too many items that we may have the reverse problem with later on down the line...

Thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues