U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 02:29 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,374,480 times

Advertisements

here's the deal. job is transitioning over to minnesota from pa. so my last day is dec 3rd. they gave us the option to relocate to minnesota. so ive been out here for the past 2 weeks helping to train on our software. so this friday they finally offered me the job. however, a few problems. 1) the human resources lady says its a lateral move. now right now i get a 9% shift differential. and when i start the new job, i would be working 2nd shift with a shift diff. she says they may not even keep the 2nd and 3rd shift and if they do get rid of it, i would lose that extra money. My issue is, ive been making that differential for the past 4 years. If i relocate, i want EVERYTHING to be lateral. not just my base salary. Then i found out my other co worker who relocated, got a pay raise. He said its supposed to be a lateral move with a pay increase. 2) they want me to start nov 20th. but are trying to stretch it to dec 7th. now im going back to pa today. i havent had a chance to look for a place at all. Now if they wanna fly me back out here and let me stay in a hotel and get me a rental car. ill gladly come back out here to work. 3) they are giving me some money to relocate $7k. i asked her if i had to use that money to fly back out here. she says, OH YOU AREN'T DRIVING?? im like no way. i was gonna ship my car and other stuff. then fly back out. i feel that the job should offer to fly me back out here. so to sum it up here's what i want. tell me if im asking for 2 much??

1) to keep same salary including shift differential. even if that shift goes away. i really want a small pay raise like my co worker. but i dont wanna price myself out of a job

2) for them to fly me back out here with a rental car so i can look around for houses. and i shouldnt have to use my relocation money to do this.

3)when im finally settled. i have to go home to get my stuff. i want them to fly me back out to minnesota. not me use that relocation money. im using that money to pack, ship my car, clothes, furniture, etc. and im using that for a downpayment on a townhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 12:40 AM

2,060 posts, read 5,066,928 times
We had less than that to relocate a family of 3 from Amsterdam to Chicago (and they only covered our flights on moving day).

You must have an idea of how likely you are to either get what you're asking for or get shown the door. You can want all you want but if they aren't willing to do it are you still going to accept? What's your alternative?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:48 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,669,417 times
With two threads going on different aspects of this same subject, I get the impression you really don't want to go to Minnesota.

Maybe the anwers you're looking for will be found in working somewhere else.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 AM

7,288 posts, read 13,505,062 times
In a word, yes. You are asking too much, unless your job is in such high demand that you can find another one more easily than accepting this one.

I would pass on the job. You haven't listed any positive things about it. Keep in mind that the co worker is probably BS-ing you about the pay raise. People lie about salary all the time, which you learn a lot about when you are the one who hands out salaries. I have seen it many times, and it's caused me plenty of headaches to calm people down when they think that so-and-so makes more than they do.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,018,229 times
There are ways to negotiate. You might as well try. You might not win but you'll kick yourself for not trying.

Everything is negotiable.

HR is not there to help you; HR is there to protect the company from you.

Not only that (the next time somebody says "can't"), with waivers, anything is possible.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:16 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,374,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
With two threads going on different aspects of this same subject, I get the impression you really don't want to go to Minnesota.

Maybe the anwers you're looking for will be found in working somewhere else.
i def wanna go. i loved it out in minnesota. but at the same time, im moving to a diff coast. and i dont see anything wrong with asking for an extra dollar an hour. plus i do need a rental car to drive around to look for a place. id only need a few days hopefully.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:58 PM

2,060 posts, read 5,066,928 times
Instead of trying to convince us it's justified you need to convince your employer. They are the ones signing the checks not us. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:02 PM

14,244 posts, read 44,929,003 times
Maybe it would be practical for you to go out first, get a room in a residential hotel, start work, then find a more permanent place to live over a couple of weekends, with that found have DW and kids join you?I do think you are asking for a good bit given today's job market.And, yeah, if you don't want to go to Minnesota, don't do it, find another job in a place you actually like.I'm not certain and cost of living depends on lifestyle, but I don't particularly think MN is a higher cost of living area compared to PA. Full disclosure: have never lived in either state (and would not want to but that's another story)

Old 11-09-2010, 02:42 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,725,881 times
Well, let's see... your job is ending anyway... December 3, as you said.

Basically, Minnesota is not offering anything better than what you already have. Basically, they are offering a possible future pay decrease... but it's also a job. You won't go through any period of unemployment. It's very lucky for you that you are being offered a relocation. At least your company is not just folding and saying "see ya." You're very lucky in that respect.

Also, a company that is thinking of doing away with a whole shift doesn't sound promising to me. That doesn't sound to me like a company that is on its way up... that's just my opinion, based on what I've read. But you're the one who works there. You know better.

I think it's just up to you to follow your instincts. Do you want to stay with this company? Do you get a good feeling about it? Do you feel you have a real future there? Do you like Minnesota? Or.. do your instincts tell you that you would be better served just staying where you are in PA and looking for something else entirely?

You have to weigh other aspects too, if you decide on Minnesota. Everything is going to change. Your house, where you shop, everything. Think about your life now. What about your current life costs you money? For example, do you commute a ways daily? If you could decrease some of that stuff in Minnesota (for example, living closer to work and not commuting as far), maybe losing the differencial wouldn't even matter. Maybe you'll get some place with lower rent/mortage, too. Etc. etc....

Good luck. I would just go with your instincts. It wouldn't hurt to do some negotiating with your employer. Go for it. But if you accept the job, I would definitely approach it from the "worst-case scenario." If I were you and accepted the job, I would just go in assuming I was going to end up being paid a 1st shift, eventually. That way you'll be planning your future out sensibly. (Making sure you get something closer to work, trying for a less expensive place, etc.)

And I agree with the above poster - instead of worrying about the flight back out to look at houses and the rental car stuff, just plan on investing in a storage unit for your stuff for a month or two while you live somewhere cheap temporarily and look for houses once you get out there. (If you accept the job.) I think that would be easier and less stressful, honestly. Being out on a flight temporarily with a rental car to look at houses, I would feel I was on a very tight time restraint...

Old 11-09-2010, 05:38 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,986,823 times
I'm pretty sure your 7K relocation money is not meant to be used as a downpayment. Also, a lot of times you pay for your relocation, submit your costs and are reimbursed - so you might as well use it for actual relocation so you CAN get the most out of it.

But basically, you are asking too much. You sound like a whiney second grader and the kid next to you got a bigger cookie.

Keep in mind, salaries/pay are supposed to be confidential - so if you go to your company and say so-and-so got a raise it doesn't really give you any leverage - and it's possible your coworker could lose his raise. (Plus, the cost of living in MN is probably less than PA so they money you already make should go further)

Life isn't fair. Know that if you go in asking for all this, you probably won't get everything and there is a chance they could start looking for someone who would be more appreciative of having a job in this economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues