U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:06 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,688,284 times

Advertisements

i already have to get my car shipped which is at least 500-700. i also have to get a downpayment for renting a townhouse or apartment. i only have $7,000 to work with. if i hire movers on top of that, its gonna be way too much money. should i sell or go ahead and ship furniture. all i have to ship is a king size bed, headboard, triple dresser, single dresser, and 32 inch flat screen tv and computer and clothes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 05:29 PM

11,715 posts, read 38,310,047 times
Was any of that stuff particularly expensive or are we talking Ikea/Target stuff? Why can't you just pack your car with your clothes and computer and drive?

Old 11-12-2010, 05:33 PM

15,878 posts, read 51,414,148 times
Offhand it seems to me you could rent a U-Haul or Ryder truck and pull your car on a dolly or trailer, IIRC you just have the one car right? Or, depending on what the car is, you could set up to pull a trailer with it.

For a single guy who apparently contemplates moving fairly often, you have rather large and unwieldy furniture. If you decide to sell the stuff you have, consider a smaller bed, TV, etc.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 11-12-2010 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: trailer

Old 11-12-2010, 06:59 PM

7,748 posts, read 14,996,977 times
Not sure if you are shipping overseas or just moving within the continental US. If you are shipping overseas I would get rid of furniture and possibly TV. Check out where you are moving to see if you can get it cheaper there. When we moved flat screen TV, movers wanted to charge us $35 Xtra for a box. We moved it ourselves. If you are moving within the US, rent a UHaul trailer.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:59 PM

416 posts, read 593,279 times
When it costs as much(Or more) to replace the junk you want to keep as it does to move it, it's time to sell.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:32 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,139,519 times
It sounds to me like you're really trying to do this all in very high-class way. First of all - apartment or duplex, not townhouse... with no more than a one-year lease. (Less, if you can get it.) lol You don't even know if you're going to like Minnesota.

No offense but I get the impression you consider yourself a higher financial class than what you actually are. (More like.. in denial about what you are.)
Movers? Pfft. Pack your own stuff and get family and friends over to help you haul it on the U-HAUL or BUDGET TRUCK in exchange for pizza. lol

Maybe hire movers for the unloading, since you don't know anyone in Minnesota. Or maybe a couple relatives will be kind enough to make the trip with you to help you unload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
For a single guy who apparently contemplates moving fairly often, you have rather large and unwieldy furniture. If you decide to sell the stuff you have, consider a smaller bed, TV, etc.
I think I read he has a family. . . . . .

Old 11-13-2010, 07:24 AM

6,479 posts, read 9,173,015 times
I can speak from personal experience. I made a cross-country move a couple of years ago, shipped my car ahead of me, and I also had limited financial resources. I too was tempted to just give away a lot of my things so I wouldn't have to hassle with moving so much stuff, and I did. That was a mistake. I still regret getting rid of many of the things I did.

Rent a Penske truck, and take everything you can fit on the truck. If you don't, you would be surprised at how much it costs to have to end up replacing things when you get there, even replacing all the little things really add up. It's probably cheaper to pay the cost for the moving truck and gas then it is to replace items left behind. On my move back two years later, I crammed EVERYTHING I could on the truck to bring back with me, even little things like household cleaner and small kitchen gadgets.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:18 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,597,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
i already have to get my car shipped which is at least 500-700. i also have to get a downpayment for renting a townhouse or apartment. i only have $7,000 to work with. if i hire movers on top of that, its gonna be way too much money. should i sell or go ahead and ship furniture. all i have to ship is a king size bed, headboard, triple dresser, single dresser, and 32 inch flat screen tv and computer and clothes.
Have you thought of the possibility that your king sized bed and triple dresser may not FIT in the bedroom of your new apartment or townhouse? Also, the style may not look good in the new bedroom for some reason or other.

If I were in your situation, I would sure feel dumb if I went to the expense of moving the bedroom set there, and then had to sell it anyway after all that. The clothes and computer will fit in your car, and you can get a 32" TV and a bedroom set for almost nothing on Craigs List once you get there. I am leaving my bedroom set (king bed, triple dresser with two mirrors, armoire, bedside tables) and when I first get to my destination I will probably sleep on a $50 air mattress from Wal-Mart. Then I can look for another bedroom set at my leisure. I won't have to buy everything all at once.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:39 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,139,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Have you thought of the possibility that your king sized bed and triple dresser may not FIT in the bedroom of your new apartment or townhouse? Also, the style may not look good in the new bedroom for some reason or other.

If I were in your situation, I would sure feel dumb if I went to the expense of moving the bedroom set there, and then had to sell it anyway after all that. The clothes and computer will fit in your car, and you can get a 32" TV and a bedroom set for almost nothing on Craigs List once you get there. I am leaving my bedroom set (king bed, triple dresser with two mirrors, armoire, bedside tables) and when I first get to my destination I will probably sleep on a $50 air mattress from Wal-Mart. Then I can look for another bedroom set at my leisure. I won't have to buy everything all at once.
I don't know why anyone would be trying to get a place before they move anyway. You need to physically look at the place to size up how your stuff would fit. Actually measuring all your big furniture may not be a bad idea either.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:39 PM

18,845 posts, read 35,052,064 times
Well, at my age, I have nothing. And I am okay with that. I don't spend money on furniture, I am never home. Right now, I have a blow up bed from costco, $100, a few tables from costco, another $100, 3 chairs, from Costco, $100, three lamps, target, two junk tv sets, and two chairs from Pier One. That is it. I have got my personal stuff down to 3 suitcases. All kitchen stuff is junk. The reason for my "minimalism", is that if a job thatt I want comes up, I am ready to go. I can start in three weeks. No problem. I don't want a bunch of stuff any more. It is just stuff, and can be easily replaced. I have a comfortable home, but my furniture is not fancy. I don't care, impressing people with possessions is just not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues