U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 05:07 PM

21 posts, read 56,824 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband, seven month old daughter, and I just moved across the country (Philly to Santa Monica). We're renting a 3 BR apartment in a 24-unit, three-story building and are living on the second floor. The first night we were here it became apparent that the ceilings were very thin - it was like Saskwatch and his family were above. I was woken up a little after 1 with stomping, closet doors opening and slamming, drawers opening and slamming, etc. In Philly, we lived in a large apartment building in which we literally heard NOTHING. Each apartment had fire walls so I believe there was close to 12 inches of insulation between units. I guess we were spoiled.

Anyway, the move itself was very stressful (huge life adjustment) and realizing very quickly that we were no longer in our own little cocoon has made adjusting all that much harder. Like, to the point where I'm considering how to get out this lease after being here for just a few weeks.

My husband went up at a non-noisy time just to introduce himself and as an icebreaker, told them we do have a little baby and that we'll do our best to keep her quiet (though to be honest, our baby barely even cries). And then he slipped in that sometimes the ceiling noise was quite loud. The guys he talked to (it seems it's a group of guys in their 20s who live up there) were fine but didn't really seem to care. And since then, the noise hasn't improved and in fact has seemed even worse, though that could be because we're so sensitized to it now.

I understand that apartment living brings with it these sorts of challenges. I guess my past few years in other place made me forget a bit. But I'm finding the noise to be making us crazy. I could deal with it during the day. But being woken up at night is a whole other story, particularly when our baby is finally sleeping the whole night now :-)

I know there are probably no suggestions other than to suck it up but if anybody has a perspective to share, I'd most appreciate it. We've thought about approaching the property manager and asking to move to an open third-floor unit, though I'm not sure when one would be available. But beyond that, I just don't know what else to do. It's not like they're being particularly rowdy or having loud parties. It's just they're EXTREMELY heavy-footed and just sort of, well, inconsiderate. Today they dumped a bunch of water off of their balcony, deluging ours with it. They just don't seem to care.

Phew, sorry this is so long. I guess I just needed to vent!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 05:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,879,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa822 View Post
The guys he talked to (it seems it's a group of guys in their 20s who live up there) were fine but didn't really seem to care.
Well there's your problem. Nothing short of repeatedly beating them to within an inch of their lives will make them give a damn about anyone else but themselves. I think moving to another unit is your best bet if the landlord will allow it but even that's not guarantee. You could wind up above chain smokers to fill your apartment with the stench of smoke.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You could wind up above chain smokers to fill your apartment with the stench of smoke.
Yes, that's true. Which would make me want to gouge my eyes out, repeatedly.

But man, how loud do you have to walk to be heard over a white noise machine AND a fan, which is what we have in our bedroom (and our daughter's)? And why are you going into your closet 18 times at 2 a.m.?

Old 11-22-2010, 03:10 PM

4,555 posts, read 7,025,997 times
rule #1 of apartment living...never, ever, ever, live anywhere except the top floor. You will hear everything, even normal noise. I would ask to be moved to a 3rd story apt as soon as one comes open. And maybe go talk to somebody who lives on the 3rd floor and see what their take is on hearing other people. Sorry you've had to go thru all this so soon.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:55 PM

6,611 posts, read 11,272,914 times
Except that when you live on the top floor, you run the risk of having the downstairs complaining about your actually doing stuff like walking and living a "normal" life (not saying this is the OP though).

Old 11-22-2010, 07:10 PM

926 posts, read 1,931,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Except that when you live on the top floor, you run the risk of having the downstairs complaining about your actually doing stuff like walking and living a "normal" life (not saying this is the OP though).
True, but living downstairs you can hear noise every day, whereas if you lived on the top floor, it's a lot less likely that you'd be hassled by a downstairs neighbor every day.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:15 PM

926 posts, read 1,931,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa822 View Post
But man, how loud do you have to walk to be heard over a white noise machine AND a fan, which is what we have in our bedroom (and our daughter's)? And why are you going into your closet 18 times at 2 a.m.?
ksa822, sorry to hear you're experiencing the same kind of hell that many of us other downstairs dwellers face on a daily basis. Congrats to your hubby for at least talking to them, but I have to agree with the other post, a bunch of young men living together are less likely to be compliant then let's say a couple or one person.
Besides using the solutions you already use, how wearing earplugs and playing white noise tunes? Google Pure white noise .. that site has samples of soundtracks that you can download or buy on CD...I currently use a white noise machine, the music and earplugs, but still hear my upstairs neighbors. The challenge is that the mother works late and the son, also an adult often comes and goes at all hours. You can't exactly expect them to change their lifestyle to suit your preference for quiet. Moving seems like the last and best option for us.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 PM

Great suggestions, thanks. Part of the challenge is that I'd love to wear earplugs but I'm sort of already pushing the limits of white noise drown-out at the moment - I do need to be able to hear my daughter if she wakes up. :-)

Last night my husband brought up a case of beer to the guys and gave his little "we know we can't ask you guys to levitate and this is a function of the building, etc. but if they could try to keep it down . . ." and they said they'd try to be quieter (and were friendly about it). Apparently one of the guys broke his ankle and rather than using the crutches, he'd just been hopping around the apartment, which explains why I thought someone had been doing the bunny hop up there for the past few days. The funny thing is, it's three guys and one girl who live there and I'm actually fairly certain that it's the girl who's the worst. The loudest footsteps are really quick and sort of short, like a woman's.

We're still going to see about moving to a third floor apartment. It would be a huge pain but it would probably be less painful in the long run than dealing with this. I do think that even if there were some disturbances from a downstairs neighbor it's less likely it would be so persistent. And yes, from now on nothing but the top floor for us. Like I said, we were totally spoiled in our Philly place because it was so excellently soundproofed. Before that, we'd lived on the top floor. So honestly, I completely forgot about this issue.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 AM

926 posts, read 2,451,979 times
I would tell your landlord and maybe they can intervene. In my old apartment, I was on the middle floor, and since no one lived above me, I had no idea how thin the walls were. Well my boyfriend and I got pretty loud a couple of times (if you know what I mean lol) and one day my landlord called me and said the lady below me was complaining about the "noise". How embarrassed I was! But I went out and bought some cupcakes and an "Im sorry" card and left it in front of her door downstairs. Well she was out to get me after that becase EVERY noise she heard, she would call my landlord and complain! I walk around too much, I put the dishes up too loud, my bed squeaks when I turn or move or get up- everything! I continued to buy little treats and leave notes apologizing but reminding her that the walls are thin and I cant LIVE withought moving lol and the last note that I put in with some cookies, I asked her to please come talk to me woman to woman instead of going to the landlord. She did not. The landlord called me one day to tell me the lady heard me and my boyfriend last night again and I said, you know that is funny because I am out of town right now and I have been for the past week (and my boyfriend did not have keys to my apartment), so the landlord relized I was not a trouble maker or nuisance, but I eventually moved out.

My advice is get the landlord involved and after a while of either the landlord breathing down their necks or you all reminding them that people are below them- they will either get the hint or move out.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:30 AM

170 posts, read 473,681 times
My best advise is to kill them and post it on youtube..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues