U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 AM

4,805 posts, read 5,477,119 times

Advertisements

I'm twice your age, have an undergrad degree in Anthropology (interrupted my M.A., but going back) and just left a cozy position with the Forest Service in Wyoming to move to San Diego--with no job waiting. Unfortunately, I can't obtain gainful employment in my field in this state without 1) three years experience (I have 2) or 2) my graduate degree.

However, I did find a great job in the industry I've worked in all of my life (pre-degree) and it has allowed me to live well where I've always wanted to be, while leaving me time to volunteer my expertise on various archaeological sites in the area.

Win-win.

I say go for it. You're still (very) young with a paid off car and a safety net in the form of savings. There is work to be found if you persevere. Live the life you want to live. Don't wait until you hit your 30s or 40s to pursue your dreams. Life gets in the way and your dreams end up on the back burner. I'm a lving example of that--but at least I had the chutzpah to go for it now. You should too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 04:09 PM

3,069 posts, read 3,784,180 times
Do it. I just move with no money...hahaha. Go rent a cheap room where you want to live, and take a break while looking for jobs.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:31 PM

10,081 posts, read 11,411,699 times
Take the chance! Run as fast as you can to the beach and enjoy life. You will never regret it but you will regret not doing it.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:04 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,668,505 times
I won't tell you stay put. Definitely move. I would suggest lining a job up before you go, though (even if it is that Wendy's assistant managerial job) simply because making any money is better than burning through your savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues