U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 PM

896 posts, read 3,639,332 times

Advertisements

Here is my 0.02. Something what I have done and saved myself quite a few dollars when moving.

If you have an SUV (or any other car with hitch holes), it may be cheaper to buy and install a hitch rather than rent a U-Haul truck. And you keep the hitch and can always use it later!

Here is why.
A U-Haul truck is rented by the mile + a day rent. An average round trip would be around 60-80 miles. This would cost you from 100 bucks and up.

You can buy a hitch online for $100 and install it for $50. The optional wiring would be an extra $80 plus labor $50. A total of $280.

http://starautotinting.com/TrailerHitches.jpg (broken link)

Instead of a U-Haul truck, you can rent a trailer. They are rented by the day and not mile. So you can haul anything as far and as much as you want for 24hrs. The price starts from $29 (3x5ft) and up to $50 for 5x12ft. You pay $50 once and move as much stuff as you want.

Conclusion
If you anticipate moving expenses to be over $200, this is definitely an option. Especially if you are planning to use a hitch later (hauling bikes, trailer, boat, etc.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 11:10 PM

33,599 posts, read 51,826,099 times
All good if you have a SUV or pick-up, but it does not work well with a passenger car...

Old 12-07-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
All good if you have a SUV or pick-up, but it does not work well with a passenger car...
That's what I said upfront. However.. many sedans have these pre-drilled holes. I saw Camry, Corollas and even Prius. Just depends on what model it is.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:17 AM

I am more concerned that the hitch installed in smaller cars is going to put a lot of strain on everything mechanical, including the engine, transmission, brakes, and power steering.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am more concerned that the hitch installed in smaller cars is going to put a lot of strain on everything mechanical, including the engine, transmission, brakes, and power steering.
No, I doubt it. It's just a metal bar. It does not touch anything.

Type 1 hitch is normally used for sedans. It is enough to carry light trailers.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:59 AM

543 posts, read 1,170,294 times
I like the idea b/c I will be moving for sure. I'm wondering if the weight will cause any damange to the new van that we have.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:25 PM
fnh

2,032 posts, read 2,581,131 times
Be aware that installing a hitch can invalidate your warranty unless it is done properly - and properly depends on the intended use as well as the car size. We had an after-market hitch installed on our minivan at the purchase dealership, where we were counseled NOT to pay extra (go figure!) for the wiring harness and transmission cooler since the warranty was expired anyway and we intended to use it ONLY for a hitch bike rack. We can add those things later if we decide to pull a trailer. If still in force our transmission warranty would have been voided as soon as we drove off the lot, b/c even though we say we only tow bikes on the back...

The problem with a hitch is that people think they CAN pull anything rather than if they SHOULD.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Thank you, behtypa! This is an interesting thread/post. I was wondering if I could attach a hitch to my Honda Accord, but never saw any passenger car hauling a trailer. However, it would be very useful for me to get one for the class 1 trailer. Many times I passed on a bigger purchase, or rented a truck from Home Depot, because items didn't fit in my trunk.
I would like to hear from someone about this kind of experience.

BTW: I think this thread should be moved to Automotive section, no?

Old 12-09-2010, 03:44 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,025,952 times
My only concern is with pulling a U-Haul trailer half way across the country with no towing experience. I hear lots of bad stories about U-Haul's equipment issues such as mis-matched tires, tires blowing out, etc. I wish Penske rented one way trailers.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
My only concern is with pulling a U-Haul trailer half way across the country with no towing experience. I hear lots of bad stories about U-Haul's equipment issues such as mis-matched tires, tires blowing out, etc. I wish Penske rented one way trailers.
Uhaul is just an example. It can be anyone. As long as you check the trailer you should be fine.
I have rented trailers from a few places now. My Uhaul rents were convenient because they hook it up and unhook it for you. You just pay and drive. And I did not see any problems with trailers, as long as I slow down across bums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues