U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,187 times

Advertisements

HI Everyone,

I've had all I can take of freezing cold Boston winters and want to move towards the sun and some better weather. I think the perfect place for me is probably San Diego because it has all the amenities of a great city and perfect weather. Unfortunately, I am a very committed Aunti to a wonderful niece in nephew living in Raleigh-Durham NC and it is important to me that I am involved in their lives. I visit them probably between 7-9 times a year. This is easy from Boston because it is a quick weekend trip. Living on the West Coast would severely limit my ability to spend time with them (to maybe once or twice a year because of the long travel times and limited vacation time), so I'm trying to find an alternative solution. I was wondering if you all might be able to help me figure out another city to live in that would be within a 3-4 hour plane ride of NC. My stats and interests are below. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Female
Age 39
Single (I'd like to find a place that has a singles scene for people my age if possible...though at this age that might be tricky anywhere!)
Professional (Accountant)
Income $100-$125K
Atheist (It's not important to me that other people are as well, I just don't want to live in a place where the culture and social scene is dominated by religion)
Public transportation isn't a priority (I tend to drive everywhere)
I love that Boston has wide variety of great restaurants, museums, bars, and nightclubs and would like to find another city that has these as well.
I definitely want to live in a city.
I will probably rent for a year or two and eventually buy. I'm not too concerned about the cost of living...Boston housing is ridiculous so I'm sure most other places will be either equivalent or cheaper.
The most important is very mild winters...I don't want to ever shovel again! or have to wear 10 layers of clothes because it is so freezing!

Thanks again for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 05:15 PM

3,923 posts, read 7,474,318 times
Why not Durham?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:18 AM

17,242 posts, read 21,061,885 times
Well, if having enough sun is the biggest issue, the SW has that. Yuma tops the list with 320 days of sunshine a year and you're only 175 miles from San Deigo. Phoenix and Las Vegas get 300 days of sunshine a year.

I've never considered San Diego a truly sunny city as that fog blanket, in the morning, can linger until noon or later.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:07 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,571,124 times
i would suggest Charlotte. you would be very close--just a coupe of hours driving. it's more city like than Raleigh, sunshine, relatively lower cost of living etc.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:13 AM

34,195 posts, read 41,146,813 times
Savannah or Charleston would fit the bill but secure a job at your ultimate choice of location before moving there as $125K accountant jobs may not be abundant..

PS about that shoveling,, making $125K a year, cant you get a contract with a snow removal company?probably run $300 to $500 per winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues