U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:57 AM

119 posts, read 287,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
chapel hill/Carborro or Hillsboro nc...hate to keep harping about NC, but the climate you want is definitely here
No problem at all. I like North Carolina, have been there before. If you have a free second, can you please tell me what you like so much about the Triangle Area (that's what that area is called, right?)? If you can put yourself in the shoes of an artist (or maybe you are an artist), what would someone with those interests like in that area?

Also, I'm used to riding subways and buses that almost always come on time. I'm sure it would be an adjustment, but do you all have pretty good public transportation in that area? And lastly, how is the employment rate there in that area? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,596,877 times
originally i had suggested Ashville because you said you didnt like humid summers. well summers down here are BRUTAL> but you also dont ike snow so you would have to choose someplace down south or out west. your family is in the east...so are mine, and even with being "only" 500 miles away, we dont get to see eachother more than a couple of times a year. it wears on you after a whie, but if you feel a need to change, NC is one of the nicer areas imo. i chose those other cities because Chapel Hill is a beautiful college town and Hillsboro and Carborro are sort of attached to it.
you get many of the professors and other professionals living here. its very progressive, lots going on. you said you are a writer and being right in the middle of the state makes it an ideal spot to go to either the mountains or the ocean in about the same amount of time.
now as for public transportation--you can forget it. Chapel hill does have a local bus, but that is about it.
if you like more of a city feel, i like Charlotte. it's not NYC, but then nothing is, and its the closest city feel i have found down here.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
originally i had suggested Ashville because you said you didnt like humid summers. well summers down here are BRUTAL> but you also dont ike snow so you would have to choose someplace down south or out west. your family is in the east...so are mine, and even with being "only" 500 miles away, we dont get to see eachother more than a couple of times a year. it wears on you after a whie, but if you feel a need to change, NC is one of the nicer areas imo. i chose those other cities because Chapel Hill is a beautiful college town and Hillsboro and Carborro are sort of attached to it.
you get many of the professors and other professionals living here. its very progressive, lots going on. you said you are a writer and being right in the middle of the state makes it an ideal spot to go to either the mountains or the ocean in about the same amount of time.
now as for public transportation--you can forget it. Chapel hill does have a local bus, but that is about it.
if you like more of a city feel, i like Charlotte. it's not NYC, but then nothing is, and its the closest city feel i have found down here.
Thanks, findinghope, your observations are very helpful. I've been to Ashville - it's a nice town, but the downtown area felt fairly economically depressed when I was there recently (many stores, if not totally shut down, had slashed their prices drastically) and a waitress we spoke to seemed desperate to leave. But that was just one person's opinion, so I won't let it color the whole town.

Also, I'm not thrilled from what I've read on other message boards about the towns outside of Ashville, about how it's pretty highly conservative just outside of of the town's boundaries. Not to go into details, but my family is multi-ethnic and I'm not too thrilled about how red-sounding that area of the world (outside of Ashville) sounds. Have I read incorrectly, or is that pretty much the case? I mean no offense whatsoever in paraphrasing what I've read before, Ashville is obviously an aesthetically beautiful city, but I don't want my family to feel like outsiders, especially after having lived in a highly liberal city. Any insights would be appreciated.

And is Charlotte not fairly conservative overall? I know it's not super duper red or anything, but are there a lot of artists there? I've heard that it's a financial/NASCAR hub...

Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 AM

i would say you are correct...this is definitely a conservative state...NOTHING like the north...which is why i miss home so much. originally it was cost of living and weather that brought us down here. we were so exhausted with life in NJ, but after almost 4 years, we wonder if it was worth it....

Old 12-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
i would say you are correct...this is definitely a conservative state...NOTHING like the north...which is why i miss home so much. originally it was cost of living and weather that brought us down here. we were so exhausted with life in NJ, but after almost 4 years, we wonder if it was worth it....
This is EXACTLY what I'm worried about, to get into a situation where the grass is greener on the other side. I know myself, and I'm thinking I'd have the same reaction you're having to the South (no offense to Southerners, just my opinion). I think I'd miss people's openness and willingness to accept non-traditional families. All the warm weather in the world and having a nice house would be depressing if it came at the expense of my kid having to get taunted at school for being different, or me having to put up with getting preached to about religion (my sister-in-law lives in a Southern state, in an area that's supposedly liberal, and she deals with this type of proselytizing frequently - I just for the life of me cannot understand why people think it's their right to butt into people's personal beliefs like that, ugh).

I guess there is no magic answer. Looks like I'll concentrate my focus on the North and West. Thanks for sharpening my focus on this, findinghope. Much appreciated.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:52 PM

no problem--and good luck with your search!

Old 12-13-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
no problem--and good luck with your search!
Thanks! Would it be possible to tell me what it is that's somewhat soured you on the Triangle area? Is it the closed-mindedness of people? Or the lack of public transportation? Or something else? Thanks!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:42 PM

dont get me wrong--it's a beautiful area. but i miss the general people of home. yes most people here are very nice and freindly and welcoming. i miss the cultural differences, i miss seeing all kinds of different people, different foods, nationalities. i miss the democrats--LOL
yes there are democrats here but i almost feel like we are hidden. also very few Catholics...most here are VERY baptist. just in general. also i have no family down here whatsoever, and after a while, you get tired of not being around all of them--especially when holidays or secial occassions come up.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
dont get me wrong--it's a beautiful area. but i miss the general people of home. yes most people here are very nice and freindly and welcoming. i miss the cultural differences, i miss seeing all kinds of different people, different foods, nationalities. i miss the democrats--LOL
yes there are democrats here but i almost feel like we are hidden. also very few Catholics...most here are VERY baptist. just in general. also i have no family down here whatsoever, and after a while, you get tired of not being around all of them--especially when holidays or secial occassions come up.
I hear you, findinghope. It would probably be a culture shock coming from a place where you just take it for granted that most people are liberal to where most people are conservative. I've never lived in a city like that, so not sure how I'd adjust. I really wouldn't enjoy living somewhere where you have to genuflect to people just because they're older or something, and a place where I have to act in awe whenever the military is mentioned (not that you said that, but that's my conception of what conservative people must do). Ugh. Thanks for your two cents, very helpful.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:45 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,609,861 times
You said you're a writer? What exactly are you looking for in terms of 'artistic'? Space to work, culture to be around? There's a difference, I think, when you say 'writer' or 'aritist', the former I would think would not need so much space as the latter. If temperate weather is a huge factor for you than Calif would be the best choice or perhaps even the Southwest. I'd go with NorCal, but that's just me, around the Bay area or the northern parts of Central Calif. I haven't visited the PNW yet, I will soon, but I hear they get a lot of rain, weeks straight of rain.

There really isn't an ideal place for artist, in the broadest sense of the word, I think. You're going to have to suffer one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues