Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 7,970 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old single mother of a 2 year old looking to relocate. ive been trying to do alot of research to find somewhere that best accomodates to me. I live in a very small town right now and am so sick of it. i dont have a car and we dont have busses or anything like that here so just to take a taxi from my house to anywhere in town which is only a couple miles it cost $6, which might not seem like much but for me if i'm going to work I have to drop my daughter off at daycare so it cost more for the stop, then to take a taxi back it ends up costing $20.00 all together just for one day that adds up! We also don't have much to do here so unless your into outdoors stuff like hunting and fishing(which i dont like to do) there is nothing else. We have no museums, no big parks, no anything big at all! when i was younger all there was to do for kids was party which i dont want my daughter doing. Granted theres worse problems in bigger cities but at least theres places i can take my daughter on our free time that we can both enjoy. I'm low-income so need a cheap place to live that is also safe. I just got my g.e.d. so would like to go to college somewhere reputable. I understand i have limited options for my case but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,962,706 times
Go south my dear like georgia or tennesee Im sure you will find something in the south for you . Im headed south in three months and cannot wait . I have had it with the midwest . Good luck to you .

Old 12-30-2010, 11:07 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,889,711 times
Most places with good public transport have high costs of living. It is a tradeoff.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
Wilmington, NC...apartments as low as 500.00 a month...great history, museums, bus system, playgrounds, the beach....go to Cape Fear community college and transfer over to UNCW after your general eds are done

Old 09-15-2011, 11:57 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,779,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostgirl22 View Post
I'm a 22 year old single mother of a 2 year old looking to relocate. ive been trying to do alot of research to find somewhere that best accomodates to me. I live in a very small town right now and am so sick of it. i dont have a car and we dont have busses or anything like that here so just to take a taxi from my house to anywhere in town which is only a couple miles it cost $6, which might not seem like much but for me if i'm going to work I have to drop my daughter off at daycare so it cost more for the stop, then to take a taxi back it ends up costing $20.00 all together just for one day that adds up! We also don't have much to do here so unless your into outdoors stuff like hunting and fishing(which i dont like to do) there is nothing else. We have no museums, no big parks, no anything big at all! when i was younger all there was to do for kids was party which i dont want my daughter doing. Granted theres worse problems in bigger cities but at least theres places i can take my daughter on our free time that we can both enjoy. I'm low-income so need a cheap place to live that is also safe. I just got my g.e.d. so would like to go to college somewhere reputable. I understand i have limited options for my case but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I definitely advise you to look into moving somewhere that has a better transportation system, it could be a medium-sized city or a big city. Apply for jobs in cities everywhere (if you can try to stick to the closest cities if you can't make a major move yet) and try to put money aside for a relocation. Can you walk to work/daycare or is it too far? (I lived in a small town once but we lived way outside of it). Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues