Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:25 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,275 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from Windsor ct to houston texas in about 8 months.

I will have only 4500$, a reliable vehicle and a certificate from Lincoln tech.

I have no choice. Either that or become homeless in one of the most expensive states there is. Family is out of the question. I have no family.

What are some things I should do once I get to Houston. Advice please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:34 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I will be moving from Windsor ct to houston texas in about 8 months.

I will have only 4500$, a reliable vehicle and a certificate from Lincoln tech.

I have no choice. Either that or become homeless in one of the most expensive states there is. Family is out of the question. I have no family.

What are some things I should do once I get to Houston. Advice please.
Why Houston?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
if you can, start applying to jobs now. if that is not possible, then the first thing you will need is a place to live, as no one will hire you without an address, nor can you do anything else until you know where you live.
then get your license changed etc.
you sound sad, i dont know. there are a million things you are not saying, but i wish you so much luck. moving is not easy, living in a new place is not easy. just try to make it an adventure.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
if you can, start applying to jobs now. if that is not possible, then the first thing you will need is a place to live, as no one will hire you without an address, nor can you do anything else until you know where you live.
then get your license changed etc.
you sound sad, i dont know. there are a million things you are not saying, but i wish you so much luck. moving is not easy, living in a new place is not easy. just try to make it an adventure.
Wow so I can't relocate without job in Houston lined up for me?? That may take forever..

Is there any tricks...Could I possibly room with some1?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Why Houston?
Trying to get into mechanical engineering...I hate the cold and I heard it had a much better job economy versus here in windsor ct.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Wow so I can't relocate without job in Houston lined up for me?? That may take forever..

Is there any tricks...Could I possibly room with some1?
well that's not just in Houston. you need an address to get a job...

Old 01-05-2011, 11:47 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
Once you're ready, start scouting for a place to take up shop even if short term. You can look into renting a room or an extended stay motel room, and this will prevent you from having to put a huge security deposit down. You can also get a PO Box established for mail and job seeking. You might want to hold off getting your license and tags switched over until you know you have a job - but, only do this if your current are not going to expire soon. Once expired, you'll have a bigger hassle getting a new one issued. You do not have to switch your ID and tags over "legally" until you know you'll be a resident of the state - short term room rental doesn't qualify.

If you do apply for jobs before going, you can include "I will be relocated to the area within XX days" so that employers know you're coming down on your own accord and not expecting them to pay relocation expenses.

I moved from MI to Cleveland on a shoelance and a prayer, and it can be done. It is a lot of work making such a long move.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post

on a shoelance and a prayer, and it can be done. It is a lot of work making such a long move.
Same here. Not the best way to do things but for us it was sink or swim.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:26 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Same here. Not the best way to do things but for us it was sink or swim.
I think that is the way with alot of ppl wanting to relocate these days you go where the jobs are and the milder winters . Good luck to everyone who is jumping around these days .

Old 01-05-2011, 07:05 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,879 times
Get a job, and go where the job is. In this economy, I don't see any other choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues