U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 08:22 AM

151 posts, read 282,379 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I stumbled across this forum weeks ago while trying to research possible moving sights for me. I currently reside south of Buffalo (towards Jamestown NY if anyone knows where that is). I graduated from a state university in NY in December of 2009 and have not been offered one job in my degree during a 1yrs time (I told myself when I graduated I would give myself one year to find a college related job in my home state before I decided to pick up and move).

Im looking for any advice on where to go in life, I have some money saved up (roughly $10,000) from doing part time restaurant jobs and saving up over the years

Heres some background on me and what I am looking for

NYS Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice with a minor in Sociology (I also interned with my local Sheriff's Academy and the Senior Crime Scene Investigator wrote my a letter of recommendation along with a Performance Evaluation)

I have lived in Western NY all my life so I can deal with the worst of winters (200+ inches of snow last year)

Im a big hockey enthusiast (I love attending hockey games).

Im huge on the outdoors and really enjoy all 4 season (Here in western NY we have winter from October-April which is rough later down the line)

I have 10 years of restaurant experience and 7 years of cooking experience (so finding a restaurant job would be easy for me even though I really want to get out of that line of work but I use it as a fallback plan)

With my degree my main goal in life is to become a Probation Officer. I dont like the idea of working in jails/prisons (I worked in the local jail during my internship and couldnt stand seeing how many kids were in it). I would obviously settle on a police officer job, park ranger or something with TSA to at least start my career.

Im 23 and very active

I really want to move to a place that is close to a lot of amenities (restaurants, nightlife, jobs, outdoor rec, some water front (whether it be an ocean or a river)

Im not picky when it comes to politics

Would like something laid back but people still have the desire to work and make a good living, I enjoy being around positive people

I do have health issues (kidney problems) so Im not sure if moving to a warmer climate would alleviate stress on it or not

Im not a huge fan of humidity (could never see myself in a place like Florida for that sole reason). I dont mind dry heat or the temperatures that North/South Carolina usually have to offer.

My entire family is scattered along the east coast. I do have 1 cousin in Vegas. The rest of my family is scattered across NY, New Hampshire, North Carolina and Florida. Im not a homeboy by any means I would like to see my family occasionally (I know flights are always an option)

With all that said I have mainly been looking into the North Carolina or Colorado regions lately but I am open to other suggestions! I guess another thing to point out is I have been offered 7 interviews since July 2010 in Colorado (just could never afford all the flights that were required) in dif judicial branch fields and 4 interviews since September 2010 in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 PM

326 posts, read 721,323 times
stay in ny its better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues