U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2011, 07:37 PM

792 posts, read 1,151,636 times
Default How does USPS General Delivery work?

My situation is that I am moving to another state (from St. Louis, MO to Chicago, IL). I do not yet have an apartment secured in Chicago, but the lease for my current place ends this Saturday the 15th. I will be searching for apartments on the 15th and probably for another day or two after that. So there will be a period where I will not have a permanent address. I contacted the USPS about this and they told me to set up something called a general delivery where my mail will be forwarded to a post office nearby my new location. I have to call this local post office in order to set up the general delivery. If I set it up tomorrow, will that be enough time for it to actually take effect by Saturday? I'm worried that some of my mail won't make it through the forwarding and it will be stuck at my old place. Anyone else here been through this sort of situation? Should I be worried about my mail not making it to the post office in the new location? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 PM

4,621 posts, read 5,419,459 times
You mail goes you 'that' post office you send it to, you then go to the counter, and ask for it, They will ask you for a Photo ID (must match name for the mail you are getting). They hand over the mail. I Forwarding take about 2 day for it to become effective. Another option is to get a 'private' mail box at someplace like UPS Store.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:51 PM

949 posts, read 630,272 times
I have used General mail when I was on Vacation. Basically it is as you said. You go pick your mail up at the post office that you instruct to hold it for you. Be prepared to have 2 forms of ID. Go in show your ID and say our on general mail delivery. Its not real hard to do. I have never had any problem with it.
I have also set up a box at the UPS store when I have moved long distances on a more permanent basis. They have mail boxes like the post office. I am sure you have seen them. I liked that much better because I was not confined by the hours that the post office was open. Plus they offered insurance on fwd mail. With that I went to my local UPS store and they set up the delivery in my destination city from there

Old 01-11-2011, 03:07 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,718,107 times
Make sure your also aware of the "Return Times" on GD. On Hawaii, GD is a standard method because the USPO does not have delivery to all area, and the P.O. doe not have enough boxes for all residents. So GD is used instead of street or P.O. boxes. But at most non rural post offices, GD mail is returned after a certain period iof time if not picked up. You need to know what that is, 14 days, 30 days and make sure you claim all mail before its return.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 109,492 times
I want to send a photograph to a lady in Holland, MI. I'd like to send it to General Delivery so she doesn't have to give me her home address until after she decides she'd like to correspond via e-mail
[hopefully]. Can I address a General Delivery item with only her name & NOT her address. It's a security matter for her safety.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 109,492 times
I want to send a photograph of myself to a lady in Holland, MI. I'd like to send it to General Delivery so she doesn't have to give me her home address until after she decides IF she want to correspond with me via e-mail.
[hopefully]. Can I address a General Delivery item with only her name & NOT her address. It's a security matter for her safety.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:23 AM

4,621 posts, read 5,419,459 times
How will she know to go to the PO to get it?

You can send it to General delivery, But she need to know that has to go get it. The PO has no way of Telling her she has mail.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:32 PM

3,740 posts, read 2,455,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
My situation is that I am moving to another state (from St. Louis, MO to Chicago, IL). I do not yet have an apartment secured in Chicago, but the lease for my current place ends this Saturday the 15th. I will be searching for apartments on the 15th and probably for another day or two after that. So there will be a period where I will not have a permanent address. I contacted the USPS about this and they told me to set up something called a general delivery where my mail will be forwarded to a post office nearby my new location. I have to call this local post office in order to set up the general delivery. If I set it up tomorrow, will that be enough time for it to actually take effect by Saturday? I'm worried that some of my mail won't make it through the forwarding and it will be stuck at my old place. Anyone else here been through this sort of situation? Should I be worried about my mail not making it to the post office in the new location? Thanks!
An alternative is to buy a UPS box. You can contact UPS from St. Louis now, and the individual shop will FAX you forms. You pay. And you should have an address from day 1. We researched this a few weeks ago, for our move, before we decided to lease an apartment upfront which provides us an address right away.

In terms of setting up the general delivery, if I understand your question, you will tell the local PO to forward all mail to the new address, General Delivery at your chosen PO, so all your mail should arrive, but later than normal of course, because it has had to be forwarded.

If you set up a UPS box, you can change your address online for all your contacts before you leave for Chicago.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 53,594 times
This is direct from the USPS website, https://www.usps.com/manage/forward-mail.htm, on 2012.09.26:

Get your mail even if you’re on the road, new to town, or between permanent addresses. Mail addressed to you at General Delivery will be held at the area’s main Post Office™ for up to 30 days. All you have to do is pick it up.

General Delivery is a great choice if you don’t have a permanent address. People can send you mail by using the town name and ZIP Code™, like this...

JOHN DOE
GENERAL DELIVERY
ANYTOWN NY 12345-9999

In medium to large cities with multiple ZIP Codes, you’ll want to make sure senders use the ZIP Code for the area’s main Post Office. The ZIP+4® extension 9999 indicates general delivery.

To find the main Post Office in an area, speak to any Post Office associate or call 1-800-ASK-USPS® (1-800-275-8777).

Once you’re settled, forward your mail to your new address. Just complete and turn in a change of address form or change your address online.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 27,789 times
Is there a list of cities in California who do not receive mail via street delivery and are mandatory PO Box?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues