Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:04 AM

21 posts, read 44,271 times

Advertisements

Okay. I'm getting myself psyched up for the next big step in our great journey to Florida. On Monday I'm giving my two-week notice to my employer.

Yikes!

I'm nervous about doing this. The group of folks I work with is really close -- we're kind of like a little family. This is going to come as a shock to them, and I'm feeling guilty about leaving them in the lurch. It's a small company (owned by a larger corporation), and they'll have to go through the process of finding someone to take my place and training them.

Also, there's the fact that I've known about this move a lot longer than I'm gonna tell them I've known about it. My husband has been living in Florida and paying rent on a townhouse there since October, and I've been in our house in NC with our daughter. We wanted to wait three months after my husband's initial move to make sure we could afford paying the mortgage in NC, the rent in FL and the bills in both places in case the house didn't sell right away. I hope that makes sense. In other words, we were afraid that if I told my employer right away, I might be out of a job before we were sure we could afford everything we had to pay for.

Like I said, the fact that I've been withholding this information from people who care about me and trust me makes me feel very guilty. If you think it sounds crappy, believe me, I agree with you. But my husband and I agreed that we couldn't take the chance that my company would find someone to replace me before we felt confident that I could stop working. I thought the chances of that happening were slim, but we didn't want to risk it. And every time I felt like caving and confessing everything to my boss, someone in my life would say, "Kate, don't do it! You might regret it!"

So, now we know we can afford both places for a limited amount of time. If the house doesn't sell by March, we're gonna pursue renting it out. Meanwhile, my daughter and I are moving down to FL at the end of January.

Anyway, back to my giving notice. Any words of advice? Things to say/not to say?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I don't see any issues with this situation.

Your husband has a new job out of the area, which requires that you relocate and leave your current employer. He and you have done your due diligence to assure yourselves that his new job is viable for your requirements.

So be it. Give your notice without any embellishments ... Regret to inform you that my husband has taken a new job out of the area and we're moving. Thanks for the opportunity to be of service here, I enjoyed working with you.

And leave it at that. While you have fond memories of the time and your employment in this job, the other personal details of your departure planning are none of their business. Their business is their business, and you have no responsibility to assure them of another good employee to do your job after you leave. If they are as good an outfit to work for as you've portrayed, they'll have no problem replacing you in today's economy ... so move on and focus on what you need to do for yourself and your family.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:12 AM

388 posts, read 998,173 times
I couldn't have expressed it better! Well said! A succinct type-written letter to that effect with get the info across while leaving them with a good feeling about you. You may need their reference someday in FL! Do not feel guilty, believe me, after a few days after your departure, they will be just fine. Sorry if that sounded crude but it is the truth. Life goes on.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:06 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
NC Expat, I think you are handling this just fine. You should never tell someone to early on if you are leaving, especially for the financial reasons you stated. As little eggplant said, life will go on. I always liked to think everyone would miss me when I left my last job but I know the place does function just fine without me. I hope this doesn't come across as rude, but that is the fact of moving.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I don't see any issues with this situation.

Your husband has a new job out of the area, which requires that you relocate and leave your current employer. He and you have done your due diligence to assure yourselves that his new job is viable for your requirements.

So be it. Give your notice without any embellishments ... Regret to inform you that my husband has taken a new job out of the area and we're moving. Thanks for the opportunity to be of service here, I enjoyed working with you.

And leave it at that. While you have fond memories of the time and your employment in this job, the other personal details of your departure planning are none of their business. Their business is their business, and you have no responsibility to assure them of another good employee to do your job after you leave. If they are as good an outfit to work for as you've portrayed, they'll have no problem replacing you in today's economy ... so move on and focus on what you need to do for yourself and your family.
Perfect advice. I'd also add: politely ask if you may use them as a reference and if so for a "blanket" letter of recommendation to take with you when you move.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:02 PM

94 posts, read 274,363 times
Thanks for asking the question NC Expat; I'm in pretty much the same situation. And I'm doing the same thing You have to do what's right and best for you and your family in this kind of situation. Whenever it came time for you to leave, you'd give 2 weeks notice, right? You don't have to tell them everything about your life. This won't affect your good memories or theirs. Hang in there!

Old 01-01-2011, 06:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Not only are the details of how you've worked out this move none of their business, it's also probably TMI. Think about it--would YOU want to know all the details about how someone else had been working out financial arrangements for three months? Likely not. Way too detailed.

Just tell them you made the decision to move several months ago and now have all the details worked out. The End.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc expat View Post
Anyway, back to my giving notice. Any words of advice? Things to say/not to say?
Keep it short and keep it sweet! Do not, repeat, do not mention any negativity even if you feel it. Lie about it if you have to. Leaving a job is not the right time to settle past grievances, as satisfying as that might be. In fact just state positive reasons for leaving. I understand you're moving to a different state. That's good enough reason right there, just stick with that. And remember, your employers and prospective employers in the future may call your present employer for references. The most important thing for you is to leave good feelings with your ex-employer and hope they will say nice things about you in the future if anybody checks with them.

Same with your soon-to-be ex-colleagues, even the ones you don't like. Keep a smile on your face even if you don't like them.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Sunsprit said it best. Short, polite, and to-the-point. "My husband found a job in another state, and we're moving out of the area, thanks a bunch for the paycheck and the laughs!" (Ok, not like THAT, but... you know.) I too had worked out a detailed resignation letter, citing all my reasons for my move - why I was going, where I was going, etc. - to my last job before finally, in the end, rewriting and turning in a less personal, yet polite resignation. Leave the emotions and in-depth stuff out of it. It's none of their business. We all have the right to move and change jobs in our lives to better ourselves. And don't worry about giving notice at "the last minute." Two weeks is perfectly adequate. Your intentions were pure, and like you said, you would've given it earlier if you could... but you couldn't.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:43 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
you don't really have to say anything in your resignation, just that you regretfully inform them that whatever-date will be your last day there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues