U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 12:05 PM

290 posts, read 461,965 times

Advertisements

How have people dealt with moving a caravan worth of stuff?

I am planning to move from DC to Minneapolis (1100 miles) sometime in a few months. I have a car, a pickup truck, and a boat that I need to move. My current plan is to move my stuff using a full-size U-Haul, Budget, Penkse, etc. Behind that tow a trailer with my car. And then have someone else drive my pickup truck with the boat.

The downsides are that I have to pay someone to fly out here and drive one of the vehicles. Two gas tanks to fill. Double the chances of something going wrong towing two trailers.

The other option is to use the ABF U Pack to move my stuff, use a car transportation company to move my car, and then just me drive the pickup with the boat behind. I'll have to see how much more expensive that option would be. Maybe the price of gas alone will make this option worth it, not to mention avoiding the extra hassle of moving so much stuff on my own.

Looking to hear how other people have done long-distance moves with multiple vehicles and/or boats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 01:32 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,449,754 times
I'd sell the boat.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 PM

290 posts, read 461,965 times
I know most people would sell the boat in this situation, but if I sold it, I wouldn't get nearly enough to to buy a similar boat again in Minneapolis. So I'm going to keep it and just cross my fingers that the trailer won't have issues during the trip.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:58 PM

5,703 posts, read 16,122,397 times
Sounds like what you have figured out would be the best solution unless you drove the truck with the boat first by yourself and then flew back or took amtrak. When I moved we had two cars. I drove the car to my locale first and then the following weekend we made the big move. I did not move as far as you though.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:12 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,091,189 times
Why not move your stuff as you planned and fly back yourself to pick up your other vehicle & boat at a later date?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues