Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 10:15 AM

448 posts, read 1,054,664 times

Advertisements

i seen a nice loft in mass yesturday so i called the real estate agent to look at it next week. then i asked him about my directv dish if i could have it and he said the owner said nope he has an agreement with the cable co there an agreement thats not gonna do me no good anyways it just benifeits him to get his buildings wired for free no problem with that i can understand people have to cut corners in certain places to conserve money and make things more afordable for people also. i know the fcc passed a law many moons ago stating that condo's and town houses and apt's could not restrict me from putting up a dish they could only say where they wanted it mounted and how the wanted it mounted like on a non penitrating roof mount id'e cool with that id'e rather have it on a mount than buy a new roof anyways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 12:00 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
You are referring to the FCC's PRB1. If you have any problem putting your satellite dish on the roof you can put it on or near the ground as long as it has an unobscured view of the satellite. (Cannot be any building or foliage in the way, direction is usually S, SE or SW, YMMV.) It is quite practical to mount a dish strapped to a chimney or vent pipe.

It appears you didn't have any specific question. I hope this covered it. Got yer capital shift key broken?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:09 PM

yea it did lovehound kinda hard to strap a dtv hd dish to the chimely though i'm gonna keep looking though i was always told buying a home is your biggest and hardest choice now i'm realizing it lol. the owner of that complex dosen't want no one having satellite so he can get his building wired for free by the cable co i'll look elsewhere . i had my dish mounted to a vent pipe what a disaster that was i got half of my channels on the bedroom and the other half in the living room on a windy day LOL i would have no problems putting it on a non penitraiting roof mount eathier but this ahole was like no way

Old 01-19-2011, 01:07 PM

You can purchase a chimney mount kit. Don't know how windy it was at your vent pipe mount house, some locales may be too windy, or perhaps your mount was not properly installed. The half in one room and half in the other sounds like a wiring problem. (Your sat receiver sends a DC signal up the cable to select one or the other polarization. High resistance would prevent proper operation. Wind could make that intermittent.) Apparently PRB1 gives the "a-whole" owner no choice in the matter, but it sounds like you've decided to keep looking and you're probably better off doing that. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM

what they did lovehound was mount the dish to the vent pipe like a regular mount a plastic vent pipe on top of it all so when it got windy id'e be watching half of my channels in one room and the other half in the other room. i have noticed that there not using the same installers also when i see one of there trucks for an install. yea lovehound i've decided to keep looking if i'm spending good money for a place to love id'e atleast want them to be accomidating to my needs to

Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 PM

Plastic has no place in mounting satellite dishes to vent pipes. If your vent pipe was plastic then I can fully understand why you had problems. All of my comments related to mounting sat dishes on vent pipes assumed metal pipes.

I admire your economy in use of capitalization (or lack thereof) and your efficiency in punctuation (or lack thereof). Did you ever

Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 AM

@lovehound my bad for not stating the pipe was not plastic i guess i figured you thought they were all of the vent pipes i have seen are plastic just an honest mistake **** happens lol . that why i'll never use directv again now there worse than ever!! so your leaving los angeles soon to? i can't wait to get out of here myself

Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 AM

Makes no nevermind. It's a conversation, right?

Good luck on your impending move. I've never lived any place but Los Angeles. It's time to expand my horizons. It won't be long now...

Old 01-20-2011, 11:27 AM

yep just good ole conversation good luck to you as well on your move hopefully youll find some place bettert han la to settle down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues